Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

No Man's Sky

nope. space engine has more gameplay than no man's shit.

lefthandblack

Arcane
Does every single planet has life in this game? One reason I like messing around in Space Engine is clicking on random stars until I find one with life, even if as of now that life is only represented by colored rocks. Also I like to explore barren rocky worlds too and asteroids around gas giants. NMS doesn't have any of that?

Lifeless planets exist, but they are much rarer than I would like. Lifeless planets are not only a nice break in routine but are also where there usually ends up being a higher concentration of rare materials.

ortucis

Prophet
Does every single planet has life in this game? One reason I like messing around in Space Engine is clicking on random stars until I find one with life, even if as of now that life is only represented by colored rocks. Also I like to explore barren rocky worlds too and asteroids around gas giants. NMS doesn't have any of that?

Just out of curiosity, how much time do you spend playing Space Engine, doing whatever you do in it?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I don't see any reason to get NMS based on how disappointing it was and how they're only implementing features that should've been in the game in the first place months after release, while some other similar games are still in Early Access and yet have more features than this, AND even have a lowe price point than this.

Like, seriously. This genre is overflowing with early access titles that cost 20 bucks (and are reduced to 10 bucks on a sale, like right now) and have more content than NMS.
I don't see how the devs can salvage this thing.
That's this game in a nutshell. It was, at best, a $15-20ish download title little different than the slew of early access shit you see on Steam today. Got overly hyped at some video game awards, Sony swooped in, more hype and $60 price tag.

Santander02

Arcane

Just out of curiosity, how much time do you spend playing Space Engine, doing whatever you do in it?

I ocassionaly mess around with it for an hour or so. First month I installed it I used to spend full afternoons with it though, falling into black hole with a VR headset on is surreal...

ortucis

Prophet
I ocassionaly mess around with it for an hour or so. First month I installed it I used to spend full afternoons with it though, falling into black hole with a VR headset on is surreal...

That's nice actually (especially as a developer, I like to know people enjoy such things).

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Ok, but it's still amusing to see people on Steam defend the latest updates .. Stockholm syndrom affects people in strange ways.

I think Sony should have arranged a big press meeting where the last copy of the game code would have been ceremonially erased by the new CEO of Hello games pushing a big red delete button, afterwards everyone claps, shakes hands and drinks from champagne glasses.

Balor

Arcane
I saresay that some (easily amused) may find it genuinely enjoyable. But it is not "Stockholm syndrome" - it is a classic case of cognitive dissonance reduction.

ortucis

Prophet
Ok, but it's still amusing to see people on Steam defend the latest updates .. Stockholm syndrom affects people in strange ways.

I think it's mostly people trying to squeeze some enjoyment out of the shitware they wasted money on.

I recently ended up enduring the new DeusEx game despite being bored to death. Gotta squeeze that little entertainment out of it (I was over the refund time limit :P). That's what people with NMS are doing. They know it's shit, but might as well dive into it one last time. They paid for it after-all.

Balor

Arcane
I recently ended up enduring the new DeusEx game despite being bored to death. Gotta squeeze that little entertainment out of it (I was over the refund time limit :P). That's what people with NMS are doing. They know it's shit, but might as well dive into it one last time. They paid for it after-all.

And that is called 'sunk cost fallacy'. Unless your time with it is genuinely preferable to some other activity (say, you are bored and have nothing better to do) - this is only adding insult (to your intelligence) to injury (to your wallet).

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
dbh63ul8m5by.jpg

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
There is an actual game here now. It's not worth sixty dollars but I got a copy for half that and I've been playing the shit out of it.

A forest moon.
NMS1.jpg

A paradise planet.
NMS2.jpg

A radioactive planet.
NMS3.jpg

A paradise moon.
NMS4.jpg

A Toxic Planet:
NMS5.jpg

A porcupine-shark trying to eat me. This was the first hostile fish that I've encountered; I wasn't expecting it to attack as all the fish I had found previously were timid.
NMS6.jpg

A plant eating tyrannosaur :roll: Though I have encountered the mean variety before as well.

NMS7.jpg

There is still alot of stuff that is clunky as hell, like the galaxy map. There needs to be more stuff to do, but if they keep working on it, it might actually live up to the hype.

I'll allow that the game is visually unique and interesting; never really seen anything like it before, mainly the way the alien terrain, foliage, water and sky all come together into a bizarre landscape. The use of scanlines, vignetting, and all sorts of strange tints and hues is probably a matter of taste, though.

Thing is, you're basically showing us a slideshow of postcard landscapes done in this funky medium and without a proper spread of things to do, it's basically just modern art in a computer game.

lefthandblack

Arcane
Like I said, there needs to be more things to do. Once I had maxed out all the upgrades/base building, it was just like getting to the point in X3 where you have a fleet:
Now what? Ok, I'm bored.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
"And now it's time for our monthly update on No Man's Sky. We go now live to markec with the details."

*cut to a lone figure standing in the middle of an expanse of dirt and concrete with the occasional skeletal remains*

"It's still dead."

*cut back to studio*

"Wow, amazing. Thanks, markec. Now to John with the weather."

RuySan

Augur
How long does it take to get bored by looking at the pretty landscapes? I really like the aesthetics of it, so i might grab it when it becomes cheap.

Latelistener

Arcane
How long does it take to get bored by looking at the pretty landscapes? I really like the aesthetics of it, so i might grab it when it becomes cheap.
If you like pretty landscapes, you can download Space Engine for free.
Considering the amount of sales, it will never become cheap enough to be worth it.

pippin

Is No Mans Sky really that pretty? The colors always looked pretty retarded to me. I mean games from the late 90s looked way better than this crap.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Internal versions are constantly being updated, means they are working for the next big update

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom