Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[NO LONGER MANTAINED] Fallout: New Vegas - Sigourn's Recommended Mods

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Oh, I am sure it was YUP, my setup is very basic and I ran tests.

Unless you opened YUP in FNVEdit and manually checked the entries related to Fire Gecko's, your claim holds no ground at all.

Trashos

Arcane
Oh, I am sure it was YUP, my setup is very basic and I ran tests.

Unless you opened YUP in FNVEdit and manually checked the entries related to Fire Gecko's, your claim holds no ground at all.

I don't use New Vegas tools. My claim is there for anyone to check. Try the fights I mentioned (for the fire geckos try the area around Lucky Jim Mine) with and without YUP. Come on now, you will find even more absurd changes discussed in their forum.

Trashos

Arcane
Guys, they have even changed (reduced) perk requirements. Would you mind checking their forum?

Try the fights, what else can I say. I don't know how that tool works. Have you checked the gang at Nevada Patrol Station?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Guys, they have even changed (reduced) perk requirements. Would you mind checking their forum?

I've just checked and yes, they did make some adjustments to the game. But what you say is fake news: the idea that YUP purposefully rebalances the way to make it easier, when it is not. They focus on fixing bugs, glitches, inconsistencies. And some inconsistencies may translate as an easier game at times, while other fixed inconsistencies may translate as a harder game at times.

Trashos

Arcane

I've just checked and yes, they did make some adjustments to the game. But what you say is fake news: the idea that YUP purposefully rebalances the way to make it easier, when it is not. They focus on fixing bugs, glitches, inconsistencies. And some inconsistencies may translate as an easier game at times, while other fixed inconsistencies may translate as a harder game at times.

How is it fake news if they have made rebalancing changes? Do I have to state the obvious?

Trashos

Arcane

No, dude, I just checked all the Perks that YUP edits, the only adjustments to Perk Requirements were stuff like removing the Perception req for E-DE's unique silent steps perk or making 'Here and Now' pickable beyond level 30/35.
The one exception was Hand Loader, whose Repair requirement was reduced from 70 to 50, since the its recipies had individual Repair reqs anyways.

That's 3 exceptions already, not one. ED-E has no light step perk, they added that. I rest my case.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
How is it fake news if they have made rebalancing changes? Do I have to state the obvious?

Because what you are saying is "they set out to rebalance the game", and they didn't. They fix issues, and inconsistencies are one of them.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
That's 3 exceptions already, not one. ED-E has no light step perk, they added that. I rest my case.

Do you even understand the nature of these changes or are you one of those "they CHANGED THING, thus it's bad!" people?

Trashos

Arcane
It's becoming rather obvious that both of you are just defending YUP. I said it does rebalancing, we already discussed a number of rebalancing issues despite what they claim on their page. I also claimed it makes the game considerably easier, it certainly did for me, so let Codexers be warned.

Yes it fucking had, in Lonesome Road.

OK, misunderstanding, I thought you meant the base game. Have you checked Nevada Patrol Station enemies? I am curious about them.

Trashos

Arcane

Both interior and exterior, there is a scripted event there with Convicts attacking the Jackals. The Convicts go down pretty easily, so I am only interested in the Jackals. Is that easy to check? What are their levels/armors/weapons with and without YUP?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

Both interior and exterior, there is a scripted event there with Convicts attacking the Jackals. The Convicts go down pretty easily, so I am only interested in the Jackals. Is that easy to check? What are their levels/armors/weapons with and without YUP?

It is much easier for you to tell us what your very "basic" mod list consisted of. I'm not pointing any fingers, but you would be surprised at how many retards claim their mod lists are "basic" and while they may have a few mods, some of them make some blatant changes to the game.

Trashos

Arcane
It is much easier for you to tell us what your very "basic" mod list consisted of. I'm not pointing any fingers, but you would be surprised at how many retards claim their mod lists are "basic" and while they may have a few mods, some of them make some blatant changes to the game.

I ran tests with just YUP and what the ultimate edition of the game includes vs the same without YUP. So no other actors at play, except for the mod manager. My tests involved actual gameplay, I don't use New Vegas tools.

Alright, so...

In the interior, there are two Jackals:

Both use the same template 'VSpawnSpecialJackalFem01Primm'
I checked and YUP does not edit that record.

As for the exterior, there are two Convicts, 'VSpawnSpecialGangerPrimmAmbush02' and 'VSpawnSpecialGangerPrimmAmbush01'.
Neither edited by YUP.

There are also some dudes that spawn, they are:
'VERT2JackalAmbushPrimm01Marker01'
'VERT2JackalAmbushPrimm01Marker02'
'VERT1AmbushPrimm01GangerMarker01'
'VERT1AmbushPrimm01GangerMarker02'
'VSpawnSpecialJackalBossFemNRPersPrimm'
etc.

Neither of these NPCs nor their templates have been tampered with by YUP.
______

NV has really fucking wonky level scaling, could that be the reason why that encounter was easier?

That does not answer my question though, like your comment about fire geckos did not answer my concern about them. I don't know how that tool works, and I can't estimate what variable exactly may have been tampered with.

There are 2 Jackals outside and 2 inside. The question is: What are the levels/weapons/armors of all Jackals there with and without YUP? Does the tool you are using give a clear answer to that? The page you are showing does not (to my understanding). I know about the level scaling.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
That does not answer my question though, like your comment about fire geckos did not answer my concern about them. I don't know how that tool works, and I can't estimate what variable exactly may have been tampered with.

There are 2 Jackals outside and 2 (or 3?) inside. The question is: What are the levels/weapons/armors of all Jackals there with and without YUP? Does the tool you are using give a clear answer to that? The page you are showing does not (to my understanding). I know about the level scaling.

FNVEdit lets you see basically eveyrthing about the game. Enemy placement and what stats do those enemies have is one of them.

Trashos

Arcane
FNVEdit lets you see basically eveyrthing about the game. Enemy placement and what stats do those enemies have is one of them.

Well, it is still not helping you answer my question, apparently.

By the way, the YUP team actually concedes that they do balance changes and suggest that whoever does not like them could change them with an editor. it is all in the 1st page of their Posts page. So I guess that's that.

Trashos

Arcane
I know how the game works. I don't know that tool, the game I know pretty well. So, how many YUP members do we have here? Just 2?

I don't have to project anything, the YUP team say themselves that they do rebalancing. Don't listen to me, listen to them. I do not have the patience of that other guys there to fight the whole YUP team. You recommend YUP, I recommend that YUP is full of shit for the serious player (not bad for casuals), I am happy with the point we are at.

Trashos

Arcane
You actually think that you can get deterministic changes in a game just by editing entries in an editor? If that were the case, all games would be shipped with no bugs, and playtesting wouldn't exist. That's not how it works.

Drax

Arcane
What?
If it doesn't change the values then IT DOESN'T CHANGE THE VALUES. Ergo, whatever was happening in your tests had to be caused by a different factor.

NeoKino

RPGCodex Ninja
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I also recommend cirosan's classic overhaul for the perks, you don't even have to install all the other balancing features. But the gameplay esp is pretty solid and barely conflicts with Jsawyer ultimate.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Major_Blackhart

Honestly?

I would recommend getting one that gives additional weight to Chems and Items, such as "Weighted Chems". Carrying around 80 weightless Stimpaks, even in Hardcore Mode, is just ridiculous. The player can already pause a fight and use unlimited items: there doesn't need to be an unlimited AMOUNT of them as well.

The only other one I would use would be one that lowers backpedal speed (walking backwards), such as one of the esp's found inside "MT's Tweaks and Fixes". This helps prevent backpedaling while shooting, which makes the overall game combat much more rewarding.

Sorry for not bothering to link them. Anyway, after hundreds of hours spent playing through F:NV and making little mods for it, and trying out hundreds of mods for it, I came to the conclusion that the game is pretty much perfect as-is.

YMMV, of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom