Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info No Aliens RPG from Obsidian Confirmed

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
That's good for him.

themadhatter114

Liturgist
Patron
Rosh said:
themadhatter114 said:
How is it any different from what you are doing? You are whining about a fucking word with the same arguments over and over again as if calling gameplay where you can complete objectives while avoiding detection and/or killing things covertly "stealth" is the gravest of sins and is truly indicative of anything about the quality of the overall design.

Get the fuck over yourself.

Not a word, but a game design concept that has been firmly established for years. Now if it only means a word to some designers, so it can be bastardized for their easy consumption, then I can understand the basis of said bastardization.

Er, perhaps you should read the word according to its definition. Completing objectives while remaining undetected is stealth. If a game gives the player tools to enhance his ability to complete objectives without being detected, then the game supports stealth. Get over it.

Rosh

Erudite
themadhatter114 said:
Er, perhaps you should read the word according to its definition. Completing objectives while remaining undetected is stealth. If a game gives the player tools to enhance his ability to complete objectives without being detected, then the game supports stealth. Get over it.

Unfortunately, that wasn't all that was put under the umbrella term of stealth. Your petulance is a little too late and without a clue of everything else that involved said umbrella term.

Nice try, though.

Tails

Arbiter
Shame that Aliens: RPG won't be released, though those bulky aliens look not good at all.

Ausir said:
Ridley Scott said that he likes AvP more than Aliens 3 and 4.
When I first time read this I really hoped Ridley Scott was joking or on shit drugs. Alien 3/4 is okey to see, AvP fails in every way. Typical casual film, with so many stupid moments (to this day I laugh from scene when that babe runs with predator from explosion - James Bond would feel ashamed :lol: ) and very boring story.

Interesting fact: in typical interview the producer said that on purpose he tried make Lex not resemble Ripley. But Paul W.S. Anderson when started working on AvP, wanted Sigourney Weaver to play main role. Heck, he even send her script and S. Weaver response was that it sounds awful.

themadhatter114

Liturgist
Patron
Rosh said:
themadhatter114 said:

Unfortunately, that wasn't all that was put under the umbrella term of stealth. Your petulance is a little too late and without a clue of everything else that involved said umbrella term.

Nice try, though.

Oh, snap! When you kill something with a mine or trap it, you are detected, so we can't have the stealthy character using traps and mines! Thieves didn't scout and use no fuckin' traps in D&D! Sam Fisher don't use no motherfucking remote mines and spy cameras and shit! Man stealth has been such a well-defined game concept for so many fuckin' years that no one would ever include that shit in a game that promises "Stealth Action Redefined"!

Rosh

Erudite
themadhatter114 said:
Oh, snap! When you kill something with a mine or trap it, you are detected, so we can't have the stealthy character using traps and mines! Thieves didn't scout and use no fuckin' traps in D&D! Sam Fisher don't use no motherfucking remote mines and spy cameras and shit! Man stealth has been such a well-defined game concept for so many fuckin' years that no one would ever include that shit in a game that promises "Stealth Action Redefined"!

That wasn't all, but hey, at least you are somewhat approaching on topic.

Pity it took you a re-read back through that thread to get a better idea of a clue. Now only if you bothered to actually read instead of skim, then you might have a bit more info.

Actually, the designer's own words should be fairly illuminating. I tried to send you a PM before you hurt yourself, but alas, it didn't arrive in time.

MLMarkland said:
I wrote the original design for the "Stealth" component of Aliens gameplay and we in fact discussed a number of times using another word to describe the elements of the gameplay because the word stealth was a poor descriptor.

I preferred describing it as evasion gameplay but that didn't sum up all of the components (nor did stealth). At the end of the day so long as everyone understood what we were all talking about, the word stealth was fine as a catchall for this section of the game.

Stealth is shorthand for a million different gameplay elements - is it the best shorthand in the world? Obviously not, I don't think anyone is suggesting that it is awesome. It just is what it is.

denizsi

Arcane

Are you really this incapable of realizing what a stupid statement you were making? "Supports stealth" is one thing. Calling a bunch of loosely correlated activities "Stealth gameplay" is another.

Stealth Elements = means that serves the ends where the ends are reaching your objective without being noticed.

Combat Elements = means that serves the ends where the ends are blowing the shit out of stuff and killing everything. Now we can slap combat on everything from crafting (so you can build or modify weapons) to hacking/lockpicking (so you can open containers to get the weapons), stealing (so you can steal weapons), haggling (so you can buy more weapons with less resources) or sneaking (so you can sneak around and do stealth-kills; combat with a twist!).

Investigation Elements = means that serves the ends where the ends are discovering and solving the mysterious plot. Combat (so you can remove the obstacles to your investigation), stealth (so you can sneak past obstacles like guards or sensors that would prevent you from investigating), crafting (so you can better investigate with forensic equipment), athletics (so you can investigate faster and overcome natural obstructions), lockpicking/hacking (so you can reach/access information vital to your investigation).

Am I right?

themadhatter114

Liturgist
Patron
Rosh said:
themadhatter114 said:

That wasn't all, but hey, at least you are somewhat approaching on topic.

Pity it took you a re-read back through that thread to get a better idea of a clue. Now only if you bothered to actually read instead of skim, then you might have a bit more info.

Actually, the designer's own words should be fairly illuminating. I tried to send you a PM before you hurt yourself, but alas, it didn't arrive in time.

MLMarkland said:
I wrote the original design for the "Stealth" component of Aliens gameplay and we in fact discussed a number of times using another word to describe the elements of the gameplay because the word stealth was a poor descriptor.

I preferred describing it as evasion gameplay but that didn't sum up all of the components (nor did stealth). At the end of the day so long as everyone understood what we were all talking about, the word stealth was fine as a catchall for this section of the game.

Stealth is shorthand for a million different gameplay elements - is it the best shorthand in the world? Obviously not, I don't think anyone is suggesting that it is awesome. It just is what it is.

I'd already read the other thread and saw the stuff about mines and traps. I reread it to make sure there was nothing else specifically mentioned. And there wasn't. You just made a big show as if there was something really terrible that they mentioned that could never be considered part of stealth gameplay, and now the best quote you can come up to support that is a vague statement that "stealth is shorthand for a million different gameplay elements" when you can't point to a single element that could never be considered part of stealth gameplay? Perhaps you were counting all the things in your head that could be even remotely considered a part of stealth gameplay, and you couldn't come up with anything near a million, and you were foaming at the mouth because you fail to grasp hyperbole.

If there was something specific that was more offensive, regarding your sensibilities of what "stealth gameplay" should include, I sure didn't see it.

Rosh

Erudite
themadhatter114 said:
I'd already read the other thread and saw the stuff about mines and traps. I reread it to make sure there was nothing else specifically mentioned. And there wasn't. You just made a big show as if there was something really terrible that they mentioned that could never be considered part of stealth gameplay, and now the best quote you can come up to support that is a vague statement that "stealth is shorthand for a million different gameplay elements" when you can't point to a single element that could never be considered part of stealth gameplay?

Nah, I just thought his own words and description of the mechanics would suffice, but apparently not in your case.

Considering you didn't really bother to read the rest. *yawn* Sorry you missed the fun.

Besides, this place needed a new meme or two. This place is getting stale as a cattle car.

themadhatter114

Liturgist
Patron
Rosh said:
themadhatter114 said:
I'd already read the other thread and saw the stuff about mines and traps. I reread it to make sure there was nothing else specifically mentioned. And there wasn't. You just made a big show as if there was something really terrible that they mentioned that could never be considered part of stealth gameplay, and now the best quote you can come up to support that is a vague statement that "stealth is shorthand for a million different gameplay elements" when you can't point to a single element that could never be considered part of stealth gameplay?

Nah, I just thought his own words and description of the mechanics would suffice, but apparently not in your case.

Considering you didn't really bother to read the rest. *yawn* Sorry you missed the fun.

Besides, this place needed a new meme or two. This place is getting stale as a cattle car.

So you're complaining about their lack of distinction between "evasion" and "stealth"? Seriously? Sure, if by "evasion" you simply mean "running away from shit" that's not stealth. Any other means of evasion to complete objectives without detection can be broadly defined as stealth. Big deal. Please accept the fact that "stealth" was a word before it became a game design concept.

Zhuangzi

Scholar
OK bitches, I want you to tell me whether AvP is worth watching, given that I hold the following opinions on the Aliens films

Alien - excellent, though boring now on fifth or so viewing (very slow).

Aliens - the greatest science fiction action film ever, bar none.

Alien 3 - shit. Horrid. I can't think of one thing I like about it. I remember thinking that they took away just about everything that was cool about Aliens and left us with this steaming...thing. In fact the first 5 minutes (i.e. opening credits) is good.

Alien Resurrection - just awful. I think I've only seen it once. There was some kind of abominable snowman alien, correct? (half human?) I think Joss Wheedon (of Buffy 'fame') wrote the screenplay? Worse than Alien 3.

So do I bother with AvP?

Rosh

Erudite
themadhatter114 said:
So you're complaining about their lack of distinction between "evasion" and "stealth"? Seriously? Sure, if by "evasion" you simply mean "running away from shit" that's not stealth. Any other means of evasion to complete objectives without detection can be broadly defined as stealth. Big deal.

There was more, especially before the stealth edits, which is why it's often important to pay attention to the quoted parts as well. Do you really want to spend another two hours (I watched) <s>reading</s> skimming the thread again to pick up another tidbit?

Hell, you were too oblivious to even notice the PM alert on this forum. Don't worry, I'll stealth delete it. See that? That's stealth. You weren't even aware of it!

Please accept the fact that "stealth" was a word before it became a game design concept.

What, you missed where I posted the definition of the word?

You're nowhere close to trying as hard as MlMarkland, despite his descent into 4chan mentality, and part of my instigation was to see what else he would divulge.

You? You're just useless.

Rosh

Erudite
Darth Roxor said:
No.
Don't.
Never.

I second that. They had to cut it down for a PG-13 rating, and the second wasn't much better.

bat_boro

Arcane
Zhuangzi said:
So do I bother with AvP?

Do so, if only to see how someone rapes your favourite universe (both of them, in fact)
And just when you think it just COULDN'T get any worse than that, see AvP 2. It's a nightmare come true. There is even a teen love story incorporated.

Ausir

Arcane
Alien Resurrection - just awful. I think I've only seen it once. There was some kind of abominable snowman alien, correct? (half human?) I think Joss Wheedon (of Buffy 'fame') wrote the screenplay? Worse than Alien 3.

The screenplay was subject to so many rewrites that the final version had little in common with Whedon's version.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Whedon just sissied out of the thing. He couldn't even take it like a man.

As for AvP, it depends of you. The movie is definitely mediocre and dumb but it isn't as bad as people claim it is — Doom was significantly worse — and by "people" I mostly mean "fanboïs". Sure, AvP rapes the franchise, but are you not already used to it with the last two movies or can't you just take a dumb action movie for what it is? Characters are conveniently bland enough to be disposable, the story is laughably contrived, and there is just nothing remarkable about the photography, yet the action is entertaining in a decent way, and it's still one of the best cross-over movies, given the level of the genre it's surprising but it also doesn't mean much. AvP is dumb and shallow but entertaining, definitely better than Alien 3 and probably a bit better than Resurection. If you want to see a good Alien movie, go back to the first two and only those; if you want a great action movie, try Terminator 2 or The Seven Samurai, and if you want a great movie that will make you think, try 2001: A Space Odyssey, L'Année Dernière à Marienbad or The Seventh Seal. But if you want a dumb action movie that shouldn't be taken seriously, try AvP.

Lurkar

Scholar
This thread had some vaguely humerous quote-bending in it until Rosh showed up and turned it into another thread filled with nothing but people BAAAAWWWing at each other.

Ausir

Arcane
Whedon just sissied out of the thing. He couldn't even take it like a man.
Rewrite to the point that the script is unrecognizable but the writer is still credited per WGA regulations are not uncommon in Hollywood.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Except it had absolutely nothing in common with Doom. And as a Resident Evil IN SPACE it was pretty bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom