Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh: Feudal Era Dark Souls

That's lame. I really liked the gigantic demon with the balls and chains. And the toad boss was creative.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Does this game have the same semi-nonlinear structure as the Souls games, or is it more straightforward? I'm sold on the combat/atmosphere but if it's just a series of levels that's a dealbreaker for me.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Damn, I won't be buying this on launch then. I'll wait for the GOTY version at half price.

Hyperion

Arcane
...Don't tell me the final boss is going to be Nobunaga. Don't go down the Koei rabbit hole, for the love of God.

so did any kwans buy this yet?

Tomorrow. I'll post my impressions. So far, what I've heard from the reviews, this is a 70+ hour long game, so I won't be able to give it a fair assessment until a few weeks from now--from what others have said, the game is a solid 9/10. I look forward to beating it.

Oh, and missions take place on an over-head map, so you can select which missions to go on. It's not a strictly linear game. I did not download the demo--I intend to give the full game a blind playthrough, without spoiling anything.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
We already know how the mission screen looks since it was present in the tests. It's your typical stage select with some bonus missions thrown in there, nothing out of the ordinary. And from what I heard (from players) it's a 15-20 hour game if you rush it and a 25-40 hour game if you take your time. Which is fine, that's about the length of a typical Souls game. I'm still on the fence which is why I'm waiting for Codexer thoughts.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
Still early in the game but I doubt it will be the instant classic some reviews are preaching. Aside from combat (which is indeed good) all other aspects go from average to mediocre. The Japanese-monster-fantasy aesthetics is something I liked when I was 12 years old. The narrative is a joke and so are the characters. The loot system is shitty and boredom inducing. The maps are ok so far but only because they copied Dark Souls shortcuts to bonfire concept. The environments go from washed grey dungeon to washed grey forest.

Hope it gets better and make me bite my tongue, though.

cruel

Cipher
Yes, there will be 3 dlc, included if you buy Deluxe Edition for $80

Buying this today probably, wandering if I made a mistake by not switching to PS4 Pro for this

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
What's the performance like? I'm assuming it runs at only 30FPS, does it have a lot of framerate issues or input lag?

Ivan

Arcane
there's a 60fps option
hqdefault.jpg

SumDrunkGuy

I dunno, seems like they nailed the combat but everything else looks bleh. It lacks all of the other qualities that made From Soft's games so memorable.

Enemy design, environments, lore, atmosphere - it all looks bland as fuck. And it doesn't seem to add any notable spins on the player interaction stuff. It's just there, ripped from Dark Souls.

Last edited by a moderator:

MagusMelkor

Barely Literate
I dunno, seems like they nailed the combat but everything else looks bleh. It lacks all of the other qualities that made From Soft's games so memorable.

Enemy design, environments, lore, atmosphere - it all looks bland as fuck. And it doesn't seem to add any notable spins on the player interaction stuff. It's just there, ripped from Dark Souls.

This is exactly how I feel. The combat is there but that isn't all that the Souls series is. It's just bland to me.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

The combat is basically the whole game though. 1% of the game is story, 1% is scenery, 10% is items, 88% is combat.

- Stances heavily impacted both your weapon's moveset and ability to interrupt enemies and/or break their guard. It's like if Bloodborne weapons had three modes for each weapon to switch to.

- Blocking is a thing but not advisable unless it's for stopping quick attacks.

- Ki Pulse rewards strategic use of stances + dodges (once you learn the skills) both to quickly regenerate Ki (stamina) and dispel Yoki fields (anti-stam regen fields)

- All kinds of neat moves you learn.

- Enemies have Ki bars as well and don't mindlessly/endlessly swing like many Dark Souls enemies.

So far Nioh takes the souls combat and makes it something much more fun and strategic. The item system is similar to Diablo but also less tedious in many ways. Getting specific modifiers doesn't require hours of farming for that one item. Also, you can change the style of any weapon and armor to create a look you like.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Still early in the game but I doubt it will be the instant classic some reviews are preaching. Aside from combat (which is indeed good) all other aspects go from average to mediocre. The Japanese-monster-fantasy aesthetics is something I liked when I was 12 years old. The narrative is a joke and so are the characters. The loot system is shitty and boredom inducing. The maps are ok so far but only because they copied Dark Souls shortcuts to bonfire concept. The environments go from washed grey dungeon to washed grey forest.

Hope it gets better and make me bite my tongue, though.
You can make the same criticisms of NGB or DMC3 or God Hand, doesn't stop those games from being classics. If the combat in an action game is good enough, it can carry everything else, and rightfully so.

I don't think Nioh is at that level personally - it recycles content too much for my tastes and has a bit too much superfluous treadmill crap in it, like titles for example. Still, it's certainly more enjoyable to play moment-to moment than either DS3 or Bloodborne, so here's to hoping From get off their complacent asses and release a game with an actual combat system for once.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I wish the game had character creation because the main dude is kinda meh. Looks too much like Geralt. I hope there's at least some unlockable characters, either from beating the game or in DLC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom