Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh: Feudal Era Dark Souls

Reinhardt

Arcane
Yeah, kusarigama is pretty cool. I like high stance with it. Finished Isle of Demons without dying or praying with lvl 1 character.
But light armor is not my cup of tea. I'm just too old for this shit, so now i'm heavymedium-armored ninjaFuku.
Maybe dual swords as second weapon. Or spear. I like spears but stat distribution will be a problem.

Villagkouras

Arcane
I beat all the Souls games and in the last months I beat games like Risk of Rain, Dead Cells, The Surge, meaning that I'm an ok player, not too bad, not too good. I can't beat the first boss of this game. I tried way too many times. Pls, help.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Unlike Onryoki bat bitch killed my new character few times. Yes, running around waiting for her diving attack and then hitting her is very safe even if slow method, but i wanted fair fight and it was my mistake.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Sorry, I don't ever consider max level as point of reference. You spend most of your game time getting there, not playing.
During vanilla game you can what, get 1 stat to 100 and another to 50? For example.

And CtA does not actually change the damage bonus stat. It's just extra damage on top. So yes, you will get more damage if you have main stat at B and CtA the same stat to B (or higher).
Having different bonus damage sources does provide bigger benefits... but only in end game you quoted, when the stats are roughly equal. If I have 100 Strenght and 50 Stamina and say 20 Body, I will get more damage from CtA Strenght on axes, which already main Strenght, then from CtA Stamina (default C+), Body or Heart.

toroid

Arcane
Had my eye on this game for a while. Have watched gameplay videos and was very interested in playing it myself. Finally picked it up on sale recently and was immediately disappointed in how the combat and movement felt stiff, janky and outdated. Actions feel like rigid scripted animations instead of having a responsive and dynamic flow, which seems to conflict with the fast pace. Reminds me of how console games played fifteen years ago. Supposedly the combat system is Nioh's main appealing characteristic, and I thought it looked great in videos, so it's pretty amazing how fast it completely turned me off once I used it first hand. *shrug* Something spoiled me and now everything is shit. Kill me.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Had my eye on this game for a while. Have watched gameplay videos and was very interested in playing it myself. Finally picked it up on sale recently and was immediately disappointed in how the combat and movement felt stiff, janky and outdated. Actions feel like rigid scripted animations instead of having a responsive and dynamic flow, which seems to conflict with the fast pace. Reminds me of how console games played fifteen years ago. Supposedly the combat system is Nioh's main appealing characteristic, and I thought it looked great in videos, so it's pretty amazing how fast it completely turned me off once I used it first hand. *shrug* Something spoiled me and now everything is shit. Kill me.
The whole "commit to a telegraphed animation" thing is usually what people praise about soulsborne and nioh type games. I pretty much agree with you though. Especially egregious if you've done some fencing or similar yourself.
Just a typical controller/console oriented design philosophy. Everything about the movement is just bleh to me.

I dislike the camera system (separate from movement and especially attack direction) and aiming system (you basically rely on wide sweeps and awkwardly aimed thrusts seperate from the camera facing, which is offset over the shoulder stuff to add insult to injury, over the precision shooter-like aiming of past western titles) as well.
This also goes for how the enemies fight you (they don't really fence with you per se).

The western equivalent of this type of game mostly died out long ago and never really developed past its early stages, so it's not like there's a real rival to compare this to, other than reality.

Ultimately it's all features, not bugs, and many inexplicably love this particular approach. What can you do. Just comes down to whether you prefer eastern console-centric approach to design over the once-upon-a-time western approach of pseudo-simulationism/realism/more direct control.

Edit: I guess a good comparison between eastern and old western design philosophies from a different genre would be Final Fantasy Tactics or similar games vs. Jagged Alliance 2.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Unlike Onryoki bat bitch killed my new character few times. Yes, running around waiting for her diving attack and then hitting her is very safe even if slow method, but i wanted fair fight and it was my mistake.

I'm really disapointed with the bosses so far in Nioh tbh, the main reason being what you touch on here - everything is so reactive, and it's hard to be pro-active.

The levels themselves are fucking brilliant. Absolute top notch design, balance, challenge, the lot. Same with standard combat, superbly designed and a ton of fun.

But the first two bosses are utter bullshit. It's just SO fucking boring having to chip away at them for so long on based on reactive situations. Not only can't you pile in for any heavy damage, but you have to wait for them to make their moves first before you do so. There's no risk-reward situations, there's just "it's gonna take you ages whatever happens, and if they decide to one-shot you in the meantime that's life"

Poor boss design IMO. Just makes things dull. I was having a blast with the game itself, but won't continue now. It feels more like work than fun.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Human bosses are good but regular human enemies are annoying as fuck because of turtling.

Falksi

Arcane
I'm really disapointed with the bosses so far in Nioh tbh, the main reason being what you touch on here - everything is so reactive, and it's hard to be pro-active.

The levels themselves are fucking brilliant. Absolute top notch design, balance, challenge, the lot. Same with standard combat, superbly designed and a ton of fun.

But the first two bosses are utter bullshit. It's just SO fucking boring having to chip away at them for so long on based on reactive situations. Not only can't you pile in for any heavy damage, but you have to wait for them to make their moves first before you do so. There's no risk-reward situations, there's just "it's gonna take you ages whatever happens, and if they decide to one-shot you in the meantime that's life"

Poor boss design IMO. Just makes things dull. I was having a blast with the game itself, but won't continue now. It feels more like work than fun.
That's because you suck. No, not you as a player, your character sucks. The 1st run is just an extended tutorial - and it's the worst part - the real game starts once divine gear begins to drop and you can put together a set that complements your fighting skills. Throw in some magic and ninjutsu in your build, proper gear with the proper bonuses, a good Guardian Spirit, and the way battles go will change. A lot.

This is one of the beautiful things about Nioh, and one reason why it's combat is miles ahead of Souls games. No matter what bullshit the bosses throw at you, at some point you gain an equal, if not greater, amount of bullshit in your arsenal.

An awful lot of work just to make the bosses fun tho isn't it?

Such a shame coz the rest of the game feels superbly balanced. But I'm surprised so many can be bothered putting the effort in tbh. Personally I'd like a first run through to be fun. I'd sooner see the bosses ramp up their difficulty through later runs, rather than become easier to beat too.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I'd sooner see the bosses ramp up their difficulty through later runs, rather than become easier to beat too.
Oh, they ramp difficulty just fine. It's not they become easier, it's you getting better. If you don't learn they will rape even harder.
You gain more tools to deal with what game throws at you, but combining and using them is still depends on you.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I'd sooner see the bosses ramp up their difficulty through later runs, rather than become easier to beat too.
Oh, they ramp difficulty just fine. It's not they become easier, it's you getting better. If you don't learn they will rape even harder.
You gain more tools to deal with what game throws at you, but combining and using them is still depends on you.
:thumbsup:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
No you don't have to chip away at boss healthbars. You can pretty much instantly destroy them - if you have the right counter and ability. Out of those two, probably skill is more important. But early on you tend to lack both. Oh and weapon choice also counts. A lot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom