Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo's new console: the Switch (formerly NX)

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Nice thread merging.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
With the rumored hardware specs and that the internals are all on the screen, with the base station being for power and connectivity, then im not sure how this can have any kind of autonomy while on the go.

Third party will make or break this, but so far it just looks like another gimmick.
What would be considered good, 4 hours?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
With the rumored hardware specs and that the internals are all on the screen, with the base station being for power and connectivity, then im not sure how this can have any kind of autonomy while on the go.

Third party will make or break this, but so far it just looks like another gimmick.
What would be considered good, 4 hours?

Between 3 to 5 hours i figure.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yes, and I would like official PC versions of Metroid, Zelda, Pikmin, Mario and so on. Not gonna happen, at least for a time (read: while they're trying to sell their own systems).
EO is 3rd party though, which is why I specifically picked it. I am not insane enough to believe that Ninty would port their own games, unless they are one step away from a bankruptcy sale, in which we may get some mobile ports.

1. Not entirely. Certain 3rd party developers obviously have some kind of a deal since they aren't releasing any of their titles on non-Nintendo platforms.
2. Going 3rd party is actually something I support wholeheartedly - I think Nintendo titles would sell incredibly well on other platforms.
3. Mobile ports wouldn't work for most games and would actually require more changes - regular PC/home console ports in vain of SEGA would be cheaper and more financially sound

The portable part will have autonomy (probably less than a 3DS, but whatever) and that station will be required for TV streaming. There is already a rumor I find plausible - the portable part will work at a lower-voltage and the stationary part will not only enable continuous power supply but kick the processor into high-voltage state and thus give it the necessary strength to run games in a slightly higher resolution. For example: from 720p mobile to 1080p home. In theory of course, most games never run as high at those targeted resolution.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
There is already a rumor I find plausible - the portable part will work at a lower-voltage and the stationary part will not only enable continuous power supply but kick the processor into high-voltage state and thus give it the necessary strength to run games in a slightly higher resolution.
Makes sense, laptops already work like that.

Though I wonder how hot it would get, play with it on the dock for a few hours then you gotta go and grab your little heated tablet.

crakkie

Arcane
From the video, Zelda looked pretty smooth on the tv and ran like crap when it was portable, so I guess that makes sense.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Apparently it is that hard for them, because they don't understand you need the right Mario, Zelda, and Metroid. Not 3D Mario, not Other M or Federation Fucks or whatever it is. 2D Mario is the seller, when they don't half-ass it like their last couple of attempts. They keep trying to make 3D Mario as popular and it's not happening. Metroid is supposed to be the 'cool' Nintendo game, the one with action, sci-fi, darkness, shooting, mystery, Alien theme, big monsters to fight. It's not supposed to be cuddly or laden with traditional narrative and NPC chatter.
They need Metroid Prime 4 for this, and an exclusive Zelda that doesn't release at the very end of the console's lifespan. Some GOOD new Nintendo franchises would be welcome as well.
If traditional Metroid games are so popular why doesn't Nintendo creates them anymore?

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Someone already made color mockups:

switch-color-6.jpg

That NES inspired one on the right looks p. sweet to me.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Jesus just put a handful of people to work on it for a few years, it's a damn 2D platformer. I'm sure it would pay the development costs 10 times.

Machocruz

Arcane
If traditional Metroid games are so popular why doesn't Nintendo creates them anymore?

Because they sell like shit. Well, not really, but they can't compare to 3D Mario or Zelda, let alone 2D Mario.

They are not so popular. They don't sell all that well. But yet they see fit to make Metroid games at all, so they might as well make a cool one.

I think the aesthetic is weird to a lot of people. I hate to say it, but if they went more towards realism they might sell better. I think it could be interesting with the right approach. Like say they emulated the aesthetic of Interstellar, 2001, or Sunshine. Or, you know, Alien/Aliens.

Severian Silk

One problem is that while 3DS is popular with kids, fewer parents are going to want to entrust a $300 device to their 10 yo.

DramaticPopcorn

This concept just confirms that consoles move farther and farther away from their roots of slow obsoletion, we'll see new releases roughly each year now. Not that I particularly care. :positive:

Tehdagah

Arcane

PrettyDeadman

The concept of the 'gamer' has had a bad rap in the past few years, and maybe there is merit to the pronouncements that "'Gamers' Are Dead" after all. The hardcore gamers have the PS4 and Xbox One, but where does that leave more casual and more mobile gamers who only have an aging 3DS?
:dance:

Why would a casual ever buy a portable hardcore weaboo rpg machine to get laughed at while he plays in public instead of a box to play call of duty or nba?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom