Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo's new console: the Switch (formerly NX)

Higher Animal

Arcane
Would you elaborate on this a little? Videogames are getting more and more successfull and widespread. In fifty years it won't have 1% share of digital entertainment, it will take it over entirely.

It's interesting that you've said that videogames are getting more and more successful, because even though that might be true, the cost of making them (specifically hardware and labor) is very expensive. Lots of money has to be spent to make lots of money. Comparing 2016 to 2003 is very illuminating, because the difference between those years is that tons of proprietary hardware, software, and related business has failed. What's left in 2016 are either small indie developers releasing titles through special backing websites or a handful of large corporations releasing iterative stock.

The cooling of the mainstream videogame market is also coming in the wake of new digital entertainment distractions like social media and gopro. Videogames were able to combine technology with social play to create new experiences for consumers that they otherwise couldn't get. Now it's possible to use technology in creative ways outside of video games, and since everything is connected the "shiny" factor of having a piece of technology can be simulated by watches, refrigerators, and phones.

Another problem is the deluge of digital entertainment available for all people at all times. There are so many options for games and other distractions on technology that individual consoles and new game franchises will have difficulty standing apart from the noise that this created around them. This noise has centralized sales with a handful of publishers (Steam, Microsoft, N, Sony) and game franchises, because standing apart from the deluge requires name recognition.

There are also structural changes and technology related distortions. The destruction of the middle class and aging of the population. The fact that technology is responsible for the death of related business fields like game journalism. Videogames that have unlimited shelf lives destroying any competitors (anything originating from or by Blizzard Entertainment).

When I say video games will be destroyed, I mean to say the industry as we know it will cease to exist in fifty years. There will always be "games" like gaming pachinkos or Fruit Ninja clones. There will also be Augmented Reality "gamification" involved in technology, and things like edutainment. But the existence of "core" games, either Indie or AAA, will become niche. Profitable for some people, but mostly a hobby for dedicated coders and their culture.

I should also point out that videogames have reached their maximum potential as far as innovation is concerned. The new frontier of tech is AI, which will mostly have applications outside of the industry.

Finally, think about the fact that in our corner of the video game world we have already experienced the height of incline promised by the digital download revolution. There will never be a better year for rpgs than what we had last year. Games of high quality require talented, skilled staff working for not so much money for not such a big audience. If a AAA game releases and misses a certain sales bar it can tank the whole company due to the massive cost. Games are dying.

Black

Arcane
Kann Nintendo please already give up and bend over for Sony? They don't need to humiliate themselves any further.
I imagine how they laughed about Sega and now they will follow the same fate.
What does sony have to make anyone bend over for them?

Kahr

What does sony have to make anyone bend over for them?
Or Microsoft, I don't care. Nintendo will get buttraped from both. With N64 they still tried to gain the AAA faq audience.
Then they lost to the PS1 and now they only sell those party games like Mario Kart or Super Something Something.
While Microsoft and Sony can sell Fifa and Call of Duty crap. Consoles are for retards, but Nintendo sells to the wrong kind of retards.
And now they can't go back and need to make gimmicky tech stuff and concentrate on their own home brands while letting most of them meanwhile die
(Metroid, F-Zero, Starfox, Mother).

tldr: Nintendo lost with N64. Till super nes everything was fine, then they were frightened of pirating and lost the race.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Would you elaborate on this a little? Videogames are getting more and more successfull and widespread. In fifty years it won't have 1% share of digital entertainment, it will take it over entirely.

It's interesting that you've said that videogames are getting more and more successful, because even though that might be true, the cost of making them (specifically hardware and labor) is very expensive. Lots of money has to be spent to make lots of money. Comparing 2016 to 2003 is very illuminating, because the difference between those years is that tons of proprietary hardware, software, and related business has failed. What's left in 2016 are either small indie developers releasing titles through special backing websites or a handful of large corporations releasing iterative stock.

The cooling of the mainstream videogame market is also coming in the wake of new digital entertainment distractions like social media and gopro. Videogames were able to combine technology with social play to create new experiences for consumers that they otherwise couldn't get. Now it's possible to use technology in creative ways outside of video games, and since everything is connected the "shiny" factor of having a piece of technology can be simulated by watches, refrigerators, and phones.

Another problem is the deluge of digital entertainment available for all people at all times. There are so many options for games and other distractions on technology that individual consoles and new game franchises will have difficulty standing apart from the noise that this created around them. This noise has centralized sales with a handful of publishers (Steam, Microsoft, N, Sony) and game franchises, because standing apart from the deluge requires name recognition.

There are also structural changes and technology related distortions. The destruction of the middle class and aging of the population. The fact that technology is responsible for the death of related business fields like game journalism. Videogames that have unlimited shelf lives destroying any competitors (anything originating from or by Blizzard Entertainment).

When I say video games will be destroyed, I mean to say the industry as we know it will cease to exist in fifty years. There will always be "games" like gaming pachinkos or Fruit Ninja clones. There will also be Augmented Reality "gamification" involved in technology, and things like edutainment. But the existence of "core" games, either Indie or AAA, will become niche. Profitable for some people, but mostly a hobby for dedicated coders and their culture.

I should also point out that videogames have reached their maximum potential as far as innovation is concerned. The new frontier of tech is AI, which will mostly have applications outside of the industry.

Finally, think about the fact that in our corner of the video game world we have already experienced the height of incline promised by the digital download revolution. There will never be a better year for rpgs than what we had last year. Games of high quality require talented, skilled staff working for not so much money for not such a big audience. If a AAA game releases and misses a certain sales bar it can tank the whole company due to the massive cost. Games are dying.
This was a good read, but I don't know how do you make these conclusions. AAA game development will have to change, right because as you said they are too expensive. But as videogame revenues are getting bigger and bigger, there are no signs of decline from a business standpoint. Social games and gopro taking over? Fucking GoPro? That is not entertainment and nobody cares about it apart from hikers and sportmen. More and more people are getting into gaming each year, don't tell me that in the future this will suddenly stop and gaming will recess into a niche market again. What will happen is that with the development of Virtual reality, these games will reach even more people. Also with handheld devices getting more powerful, more complex games will appear on them, increasing the gamer userbase further.

Perkel

Arcane
giphy.gif
:nocountryforshitposters:That's impossible

Current 3DS sales:
60mln
WiiU sales:
11mln.

So you are already looking at 70 mln. And this is considering that both consoles were starved sometimes months for games because nintendo had to essentially develop and divide their game on two consoles.

By doing one consoles they are focusing only one console thus providing more games to play, thus making people buy it thus making developers want to develop on it. Which means it should be more sales than 3DS and WiiU combined.

NAturally at 299. If this thing will be 399 or 499 then people will actively avoid it and they will buy ps4/xbox instead which will limit sales.

Brilliant little handheld. Too bad you needed Fusion Cells if you wanted it to have any kind of lifespan.

This. I fully expect max 3h time. 3DS was from 5-6 hours in 3ds mode and 10+ playing older DS games. What i predict though is that tegra chip in it will scale downclocks on the go and upclock when in dock.

tet666

Augur
:nocountryforshitposters:That's impossible

Current 3DS sales:
60mln
WiiU sales:
11mln.

So you are already looking at 70 mln. And this is considering that both consoles were starved sometimes months for games because nintendo had to essentially develop and divide their game on two consoles.

By doing one consoles they are focusing only one console thus providing more games to play, thus making people buy it thus making developers want to develop on it. Which means it should be more sales than 3DS and WiiU combined.

NAturally at 299. If this thing will be 399 or 499 then people will actively avoid it and they will buy ps4/xbox instead which will limit sales.

Brilliant little handheld. Too bad you needed Fusion Cells if you wanted it to have any kind of lifespan.

This. I fully expect max 3h time. 3DS was from 5-6 hours in 3ds mode and 10+ playing older DS games. What i predict though is that tegra chip in it will scale downclocks on the go and upclock when in dock.

I see Nintendo Fanboys are in total denial mode again just like back when the WiiU launched and ppl pointed out it was a stupid idea.
Again this thing won't replace the 3ds and it's not meant to be.
How is this supposed to be portable, other than the fact that you can take it with you? Seems to be portable in name only.
- it's not small, so carrying it a pocket is out of the question
- where to store the control attachments? Either carry them on you (more clutter and things to carry) or make the portable even bigger than just the screen magnifying the first point I raised
- battery life is likely going to be an issue
Not sure who this is aimed at exactly. Seems like neither console owners or portable owners are really getting a full experience from Nintendo with this solution.
I'm iffy on the prospects of this at anything more than $200, wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be Wii U level of sales all over again.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, it will likely be the best not-PC platform for RPGs... that's already something.
If Atlus backs it the same way as the 3DS, there's a chance. This will be interesting, seeing what kind of titles companies put out for a consolidated handheld/TV device. If all Nintendo makes in the coming years are just improved (and perhaps more portable?) versions of this I wouldn't complain.

Though, again, I really would have to see the lineup, online stuff, region lock, etc.

Nah. They'll keep mainline MonHun on the Nintendy handhelds, because they have Monster Hunter Frontier G (will be updated to Monster Hunter Frontier Z now that it's getting a PS4 release) to capitalize on all the other major platforms, and they don't want to sabotage that by competing against themselves.

Is the MMO really that big in Japan? Odd that they don't want to bring it over. Console MMOs are more popular than they've ever been, thanks to games like Final Fantasy XIV. That's a shame either way.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Nah. They'll keep mainline MonHun on the Nintendy handhelds, because they have Monster Hunter Frontier G (will be updated to Monster Hunter Frontier Z now that it's getting a PS4 release) to capitalize on all the other major platforms, and they don't want to sabotage that by competing against themselves.

Is the MMO really that big in Japan? Odd that they don't want to bring it over. Console MMOs are more popular than they've ever been, thanks to games like Final Fantasy XIV. That's a shame either way.

It's Capcom, there's not explanation for their behavior. They didn't bother to port the Dragon's Dogma MMO here either and that would've probably been really popular as well, especially on Steam. Square Enix has two really popular console MMOs, FF14 is one of them but they also have the Dragon Quest MMO which is loved as well, but they don't want to bring that here because they're afraid that it'll compete with FF14 in the west. There's just no rational thought when it comes to azns.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, it will likely be the best not-PC platform for RPGs... that's already something.
Why's that? Is it true that it runs DS and 3DS games?

It's not. Nintendo has claimed that is not going to be just a "successor" (although those claims should be taken as a grain of salt, since for me it sounds like a "it's a entirely new experience" gimmicky speech), and thereby retro-compatibility is not going to happen, not for WiiU nor 3DS either. Kind of disappointing in that regard, but I'm glad It seems they will have lots of third party support and we're surely going to see a bunch of game ports from several previous console, and since Nintendo is very fond of making ports, that's almost taken as granted.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Backward compatibility doesn't make many sense from a financial standpoint - rereleases and HD remasters of games that were previously popular but probably not experienced by people who skipped over Nintendo's few last consoles (both home and handheld alike) on the other hand would be a slamdunk. I actually think this is even more important than 3rd party support in the first year after the launch - having a bunch of cheaply made but interesting titles to play would definitely encourage reluctant buyers and thus create a fertile environment for others to bring their games to Switch console.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I was also talking primarily about retail, who knows - maybe they'll support digital crossplatform in some way or another.

My only concern is that Nintendo likes to act completely retarded so wasting an opportunity like this isn't out of the question yet.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sure, re-release those 3DS games but with a resolution greater than a TI calculator.
Don't really see why you would need a HD remake of, say, Etrian Odyssey, but to each his own I guess. If they decided to go that way I would prefer a PC version though.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yes, and I would like official PC versions of Metroid, Zelda, Pikmin, Mario and so on. Not gonna happen, at least for a time (read: while they're trying to sell their own systems).

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yes, and I would like official PC versions of Metroid, Zelda, Pikmin, Mario and so on. Not gonna happen, at least for a time (read: while they're trying to sell their own systems).
EO is 3rd party though, which is why I specifically picked it. I am not insane enough to believe that Ninty would port their own games, unless they are one step away from a bankruptcy sale, in which we may get some mobile ports.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
With the rumored hardware specs and that the internals are all on the screen, with the base station being for power and connectivity, then im not sure how this can have any kind of autonomy while on the go.

Third party will make or break this, but so far it just looks like another gimmick.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom