Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo's new console: the Switch (formerly NX)

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
You have to pay for a fucking ethernet port? :lol:

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
l0Expk5SRltU7pE88.gif
This could easily be modified into a jerking off game.

Honestly the hat is an attempt at balancing the double jump/attack from the galaxy games. You have to aim the hat a little instead of just spinning and bumping into them, and double jumping takes more effort since you have to jump on the hat instead of just waggling the controller.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Meh, once all the middle aged nerds who are still nostalgic about their NES days are gone nintendo won't be relevant in the home console field.
Dunno, it's a bit sad wishing for Nintendo failure. Especially since it's one of the few "big" software houses which actually care about the quality of their products. I can understand the hatred towards this new console, because it seems pretty horrible, but I would be sad if Nintendo failed.

Sad or not, for how much longer can Nintendo sell consoles based on titles like Donkey Kong and Zelda? These used to be big names back in the day but not anymore. The new generation has fond memories of playing CoD and Halo, not Mario and Kirby.

At this point it feels like Nintendo is on a different level than the rest of the gaming world to me. And the average gamer is gonna think "Do I buy a switch to play a few in-house IPs or do I buy a ps4 and guaranteed play every single AAA game to release in the next decade?"

Nintendo is probably the best option if you have kids or are a hardcore fan, but for everybody else I doubt it's worth it.

What's missing from this conversation is that the Switch is supposed to replace the 3DS as much as the Wii U. As badly ... managed as their consoles have been since the SNES, their handhelds have always been preferred.

tet666

Augur
Meh, once all the middle aged nerds who are still nostalgic about their NES days are gone nintendo won't be relevant in the home console field.
Dunno, it's a bit sad wishing for Nintendo failure. Especially since it's one of the few "big" software houses which actually care about the quality of their products. I can understand the hatred towards this new console, because it seems pretty horrible, but I would be sad if Nintendo failed.

Sad or not, for how much longer can Nintendo sell consoles based on titles like Donkey Kong and Zelda? These used to be big names back in the day but not anymore. The new generation has fond memories of playing CoD and Halo, not Mario and Kirby.

At this point it feels like Nintendo is on a different level than the rest of the gaming world to me. And the average gamer is gonna think "Do I buy a switch to play a few in-house IPs or do I buy a ps4 and guaranteed play every single AAA game to release in the next decade?"

Nintendo is probably the best option if you have kids or are a hardcore fan, but for everybody else I doubt it's worth it.

What's missing from this conversation is that the Switch is supposed to replace the 3DS as much as the Wii U. As badly ... managed as their consoles have been since the SNES, their handhelds have always been preferred.

Yeah it's a bright idea to ruin their handheld market as well Nintendo are truly the masters of self sabotage :)

sullynathan

Arcane
I wasn't expecting this console to be $299, at that price, it's more expensive than the PS4 and Xbox one. I wonder how well the console will sell this year

tet666

Augur
I wasn't expecting this console to be $299, at that price, it's more expensive than the PS4 and Xbox one. I wonder how well the console will sell this year

Nintendrones will buy it they buy everything Nintendo after all i doubt there is much mass appeal beyond them.
It's very likely Nintendo made those absurd prices hoping to even make a profit since they know they have nothing that could stand on even foot with their competition anyway if they sold at a loss so they have to rely on their fan base for now to pay the bill, i can't really believe they would be that ignorant to actually think this thing would take off under those conditions.

Last edited:

Tehdagah

Arcane

Nintendrones will buy it they buy everything Nintendo after all i doubt there is much mass appeal beyond them.
It's very likely Nintendo made those absurd prices hoping to even make a profit since they know they have nothing that could stand on even foot with their competition anyway if they sold at a loss so they have to rely on their fan base for now to pay the bill, i can't really believe they would be that ignorant to actually think this thing would take off under those conditions.
How would they subsidize their products anyway? It's easier for Microsoft and Sony since they work with multiple branches, not only videogames.

Maybe Nintendo should start investing a lot in gambling machines.

Perkel

Arcane
I think what you are missing is that this will be essentially home console AND handheld.
Once this thing releases they will discontinue 3DS and WiiU support and put everything on it.

Pokemon alone would lead to 20mln+ sales.

300$ for console is steep considering you can buy competitors for less but Ninty always had huge handheld games that made those systems sell at least 50mln+

If you consider that you won't need two consoles to play Ninty games 300$ isn't that much for hardcore ninty fanboys. Once you buy it you have essentially handheld and home console libaries.

This is why i think it will sell despite weak lineup and higher price than competitors.

---

Arcane
Plus, before Christmas I foresee a significant price drop (the same thing which happened with N3DS) and a lot of bundles, so it'll be even more appealing for casual gamers.
Because casual gamers, the public at who this console is obviously aimed (after the WiiU, which was intended for good old nintendrones, and was a mistake), don't care about the power of the console. They look at this nice tablet with those funny controllers, and say "wooow, cool!".
Teraflops? They couldn't care less about.

THIS could be Wii 2.0, my two cents.

Last edited:

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I didn't believe you until I went and checked. Yeah, both the PS4 and Xbox One have dropped below $300 now. The price seems even more out of line now.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah it's a bright idea to ruin their handheld market as well Nintendo are truly the masters of self sabotage :)

It is basically impossible for Nintendo to ruin their handheld market. They have no competitors. Sony was the only one who had a chance and what they produced was the Vita.

Except for the PSP, every Nintendo handheld has sold between 6x 10x as much as the next nearest.

Well there is smart phone market, but the biggest issues with that market is that the big successes are just glorified flash games that get their revenue from either ads or cash shops.

Perkel

Arcane
It is basically impossible for Nintendo to ruin their handheld market. They have no competitors. Sony was the only one who had a chance and what they produced was the Vita.

Except for the PSP, every Nintendo handheld has sold between 6x 10x as much as the next nearest.

Everything depends on pokemon. If people will get tired of pokemons their handheld will tank.

tet666

Augur

Handheld market is big for Ninty cause their handhelds are cheap and Kids like Pokemon, Switch isn't cheap and doesn't have Pokemon (and even if it had no normal parents would buy a 350€ toy for their kids especially with those insane peripheral prices shit begs to be broken or lost...) they also never said it would replace the 3ds, everything they have shown so far suggests this thing is a home console you can take to the toilet with you and not a frikkin handheld, if they would discontinue their handheld market for this thing they would be really really stupid.

Last edited:
they also never said it would replace the 3ds,
:deathclaw:
That's exactly what they said about the DS and the GBA, the only reason they're saying that it gives them an out if it's a stinker. They have a de facto monopoly on the handheld market, and their share on the console market is shirking this is nothing more than cutting the gordian knot in nintendo's future. Assuming it's successful of course.

tet666

Augur
That's exactly what they said about the DS and the GBA, the only reason they're saying that it gives them an out if it's a stinker. They have a de facto monopoly on the handheld market, and their share on the console market is shirking this is nothing more than cutting the gordian knot in nintendo's future. Assuming it's successful of course.

But it's not a Handheld... are guys stupid or what?
It's too big and clunky, too expensive has shitty battery life and not even the games look like traditional handheld games i mean wtf suggests this is a handheld here ? i really don't get it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom