Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo Switch, the only console today making games which are games

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
paid online revealed

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

Starts in September

20$ for a year - best value option

20 NES games on launch that you get (with the online service) with added online multiplayer

-Soccer
-Balloon Fight
-Tennis
-Ice Climber
-Donkey Kong
-Dr. Mario
-Mario Bros
-The Legend of Zelda
-Super Mario Bros
-Super Mario Bros 3

I have to say 20$ for a year, i'm ok with this, especialy you get nes games with working online.

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Nintendo e3 plans:

-Nintendo is ditching the Virtual Console brand and replacing it with ‘Nintendo Classics’. Games offered through this are much cheaper than they were before and is going to launch with NES and GBA games in August with SNES and N64 games being made available late 2018/ early 2019.
-Nintendo E3 Presentation is currently 36 minutes long and focuses only on Switch titles with Treehouse being used to announce and show 3DS titles.
-The first reveal is of the Spyro trilogy coming to Switch, though there’s a reason they’ve been waiting to reveal it.
-Fire Emblem is next and the title for it is ‘Lustrous Daybreak’. Coming holiday this year.
-Yoshi is next, now subtitled Flipped Around and features the same Amiibo functionality as Wooly World. Releases in August.
-New Paper Mario game is next and is not being developed by Intelligent Systems. Goes back to the traditional partner style gameplay but still heavily features the character limitations imposed for Sticker Star and Color Splash. Coming 2019
-Mario Odyssey DLC is next. Luigi is being released that day as a playable character and adds 70 unique moons to the game. Wario and Waluigi are also being made playable characters with 70 moons each as well. No tentative release date on the other two characters, but they are being made playable at the show floor.
-Activision makes some announcements. Crash Bandicoot Amiibo is being made that adds harder time trials to the N’Sane trilogy and is teased to have some kind of functionality with Spyro trilogy.
-Black Ops 4 Battle Royale is coming to Switch with crossplay with PC and Xbox, regular Black Ops 4 is not coming to Switch.
-Sega reveals their Sega Ages line for the west and two of the games they’re releasing under it are the first two Sonic Adventure games.
-Super Sonic Racing is revealed and takes inspiration from Sonic R with some characters like Sonic running on their own while characters like Tails use vehicles. Some kind of Nintendo exclusive content is teased for the game as well.
-Next is a Metroid Prime 4 gameplay trailer. Coming 2019.
-Pokémon for Switch is revealed. It’s a new take on Red and Blue and features graphics that are midway between Sun/Moon and Pokken.
-Five Nights at Freddy’s is coming to Switch, though reports are coming in that content may have been censored on Scott Cawthon’s end, not enforced by Nintendo. Coming out in the fall.
-Two trailers for Smash Bros for Switch are the last things. One reveals Captain Toad, the other reveals Crash Bandicoot and Spyro, this is why they’ve been quiet about the Switch version of the trilogy. Gameplay is shown and is a mix of Smash 4 and Melee, being very colorful yet detailed. Coming out September alongside the Online Service.
-Ice Climbers are set to be revealed during the Treehouse Live.

Sega Ages? Rather have big collections like Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. We're quite a bit more removed from the release date of something like Sonic Adventures now than we were OutRun and Space Harrier on the Saturn. By this point they should be releasing Saturn and Dreamcast collection, it's been 17 years since the Dreamcast ended.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
8fs85b3ig1w01.jpg

So trve.

comparing a 4.5 year run with a 1st year launch and this is supposed to make switch look bad?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Okay Switch is already better than ps3 and ps4, it has more significant exclusives than ps3 and 4 ever had. Never owned a ps2 or previous consoles, so Switch is the best console for me so far.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Okay Switch is already better than ps3 and ps4, it has more significant exclusives than ps3 and 4 ever had. Never owned a ps2 or previous consoles, so Switch is the best console for me so far.

The only significant exclusive it has is Zelda: BotW, and even that is overrated.

Meanwhile, the PS3 had Metal Gear Solid 4.
:troll:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Too bad it's the only MH I abhor.

Why is that? I heard MHGU is less casualised than World and has more content.

It's made by an entirely different team of people who tried to remix the gameplay by adding some new shit. There are 4 different stances that change gameplay for all weapons and there are also super moves (called Hunter Arts) to charge up from a gauge. I found that all of these mechanics distracted too much from the actual monster hunter experience without adding anything that I felt was necessary. Some disagree and it's a divisive topic, I just happen to land on the side of the fence of people who didn't enjoy it. Some of the stance + weapon combos were hilariously OP and practically gave you immortality which just trivialized the entire game. I would not call MHX/Gen less casual than MHWorld by any stretch of the imagination.
And the end game ticket farming for making / upgrading the best gear was really grindy in a bad way. The series has always had a reputation of being grindy, but I never found it to be grossly so, until I was faced with the end game in this title.

I will say however that the game isn't without merit, of course. It has a lot of monsters to hunt and the armor / weapon models aren't bland shit like in MHWorld. It just has all around more stuff to do which is great for the people who will want to play it.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
In other news, for those interested, Mario tennis aces pre-launch online test begins on may 25th to 6/3

Tehdagah

Arcane
So I spent the evening building Labo with my kids(9 and 6). Few thoughts:

1. If you don't have kids and are excited by this, you're an idiot.
2. It's a great way to hang out with your kids.
3. It's probably a great way to hang out with someone else's kids.
4. The fishing game is actually fun.
5. Building the robot is a LOT of work.
6. It's pretty sturdy, also Nintendo sells replacement kits and posted PDFs of the parts online for free.
7. 6 years is a pretty good cutoff age for this, although dumb 6 year olds will fuck it up.
8. My son asked me to finish the robot while he sleeps, so I'm getting drunk and building this shit through the night, yaaaay.
Is there a reason why it costs $70?

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
So I spent the evening building Labo with my kids(9 and 6). Few thoughts:

1. If you don't have kids and are excited by this, you're an idiot.
2. It's a great way to hang out with your kids.
3. It's probably a great way to hang out with someone else's kids.
4. The fishing game is actually fun.
5. Building the robot is a LOT of work.
6. It's pretty sturdy, also Nintendo sells replacement kits and posted PDFs of the parts online for free.
7. 6 years is a pretty good cutoff age for this, although dumb 6 year olds will fuck it up.
8. My son asked me to finish the robot while he sleeps, so I'm getting drunk and building this shit through the night, yaaaay.
Is there a reason why it costs $70?

There's a lot of cardboard and from what I gather, legit cardboard is expensive. I don't think I got a great deal, but I also don't think the price is preposterous.

J1M

Arcane
What is the codex opinion of Steamworld Dig 2? Specifically as a Switch mobile game for travel?

Update: Game is too repetitive. Do not recommend.

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
I got Doom for the Switch and am pretty impressed by how well it looks and runs. Mostly play it in handheld mode and I gotta say it just works really well.

I'm actually considering giving Skyrim another shot as it's another game I wouldn't mind playing in handheld mode.

J1M

Arcane
Micro-review: Golf Story

One of the rare Switch-exclusive games that wasn't also WiiU exclusive. Easy to play for 5-10 minute segments or longer periods. Contains humor that hits more often than it misses, especially when poking fun at disc golf. The use of golf as a substitute for combat resolution in an RPG was a neat idea. Computer opponents skew a little too easy, but the game contains other challenges. Golf simulation contains some silly elements, but overall is well-done.

Recommendation: Buy at $25 or less.

Tigranes

Arcane
Fire emblem looks nice

Generic Fire Emblem map made in 20 seconds with fake medieval names, generic Fire Emblem B-anime cutscenes, good old Fire Emblem combat with graphically updated close-up cutscene cancer that any non-weeb will autoskip

At least the combat screen confirms it's a real Fire Emblem. My future cut-price Switch purchase probably depends on whether they get a FE as good as Conquest.

sser

Arcane
Developer
If you're interested in turn-based games the Mario/Rabbid one is worth a look. It's one of the more innovative strategy games I've played in awhile.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom