Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo Switch, the only console today making games which are games

You can't complain that it's a shovelware port machine and then complain that it's just a first party box with huge gaps between releases - it's either one or the other.

I bought the system for the Nintendo games that I can't get anywhere else, and I have a PC for the rest. My only real complaint is that everything is overpriced, especially games since I'm spoiled by Steam sales and so on. But as I work full time I hardly have the opportunity to play more than a couple of hours a night, so even though I think they blew their load with Zelda and Mario in the same year (one of those being a port), those two games are probably going to last me 6 months.

I really think that, on average, Nintendo games are just that much better than every other company's (especially considering consoles) and it takes time and inspiration to make them. That's fine by me.

However, I wouldn't really recommend buying one of these things if it's going to be your only gaming machine. In fact, I wouldn't recommend it as anything but a luxury toy, but it's a pretty cool one.

Which one of these "lots and lots of good games coming out" would you like to see on the Switch that isn't a first party title? Off the top of my head, I can only think of Monster Hunter.

I'm not really interested in generic 3rd party popamole or "buzz", 90% of that stuff is on the PC anyway so I wouldn't care even if I were interested. Also, Some of the stuff you mentioned is clearly Sony exclusive (Yakuza, Spider Man) and would never see the light of day on another platform.

I mean, I really could not care less about playing some random game that has a better version on another platform on the Switch with shittier graphics and framerate (Kingdom Come Deliverance on a tablet, are you high?), what's the point? So indieshit ports are bad, but AAA shit ports are ok? I don't get this logic. Shit is shit.

The fact is, Nintendo figured out diminishing returns in video game graphics. The other big companies pretty much only sell their games based on graphics, so that's out of the question - making decent games is actually hard, it's easier to repeat the Ubishit open world formula ad nauseam and not really develop or optimize anything. But I don't see not having that kind of shit on the Switch as a negative point at all. There's more ingenuity in one minute of a children's game like Kirby than in 80 hours of Far Cry 5.

On the other hand, it would be great if I could play Switch games on my PC, but I can't (not yet anyway), so I bought this thing. If the Switch emulator that's out there gets as good as Dolphin I'll sell the console in a heartbeat, but until then, I'll continue to enjoy my Zelda while I'm taking a dump. It's a neat little toy.

Edit: I actually just found out there's been a Monster Hunter released for Switch in Japan, it's a port of Double Cross.
http://www.capcom.co.jp/monsterhunter/XX-Switch/

What the fuck, Capcom? Gibe pls.

Last edited:

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
nothing going for the switch at the moment.

in terms of exclusives currently in the works:

Fire Emblem
Yoshi
Super Smash Bros
Octopath Traveler
No More Heroes
Pokemon
Mario Tennis
Metroid Prime

Not all of these are first party, but pretty much all of these will have people excited. Add to that some ports + weird shit like Labo and the Switch is looking fine at this point. Nintendo consoles will never be at the same level as MS/Sony, but the Switch will be successful as long as it can deliver few of its own games and run some crossplatform stuff at 720/30 handheld.

Regvard

Arcane
This is the only console I even considered buying recently.

There are basically 2 reasons:

1. Living the adult life(tm) and all that entails means I only have the time, energy and focus required for popamole games.
2. I don't wanna sit on a fucking office chair at evenings, I wanna lay down on my couch.
3. Some games are actually much more fun than anything I played on my pc lately.

I've downloaded the Octopath Traveller demo and it's pretty cool, although I'm not a big fan of the visual style (too much bloom). Is this going to be a full price release? Seems to be a small project with a small team.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've downloaded the Octopath Traveller demo and it's pretty cool, although I'm not a big fan of the visual style (too much bloom). Is this going to be a full price release? Seems to be a small project with a small team.
I think it’s full price. They have gathered feedback from the demo. Bloom effect will be decreased.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
So I spent the evening building Labo with my kids(9 and 6). Few thoughts:

1. If you don't have kids and are excited by this, you're an idiot.
2. It's a great way to hang out with your kids.
3. It's probably a great way to hang out with someone else's kids.
4. The fishing game is actually fun.
5. Building the robot is a LOT of work.
6. It's pretty sturdy, also Nintendo sells replacement kits and posted PDFs of the parts online for free.
7. 6 years is a pretty good cutoff age for this, although dumb 6 year olds will fuck it up.
8. My son asked me to finish the robot while he sleeps, so I'm getting drunk and building this shit through the night, yaaaay.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
emulator potential is insane. I hope we can play ps2 games on this thing.
Nope. Maybe some very undemanding games but even that is stretching it. GLHF playing PS2 games at reasonable FPS on Nvidia Shield, it ain't happening on Switch either.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is amazing, but it's really hard to justify 60 bucks for a 4-year old port. This is a big missed opportunity for Nintendo IMO, they could have bundled it and Donkey Kong Country Returns (the Wii game, with just a barebones resolution bump even) for like 20-30 bucks and sold a fuckton. They're both brilliant games and at that price point it would be one hell of a deal.

As it is, I doubt they're gonna move many units at all, given that people can just emulate both games with little effort on a half-competent PC.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Wel this is something......else.....

anyway, the donkey kong game looks fun

8fs85b3ig1w01.jpg

So trve.

It's almost like they shat the bed with the marketing on the wii u. Anyway I'm mulling wither or not to buy a used one to pirate shit with that paper clip exploit sure to be fixed in the next batches of the switch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom