Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo gets called out

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by deuxhero, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Make America Great Again deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  2. kingcomrade Kingcomrade Edgy

kingcomrade
    Parrots:
    Awesome I didn't know Nintendo was making another Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Animal Crossing, etc. game. I thought they'd finally run out of ideas, but more sequels are on the way!

^ Top  
  3. Shoelip Arbiter

Shoelip
    Parrots:
    Huh? What's with the hobbit?

^ Top  
  4. Ahzaruuk Arbiter

Ahzaruuk
    Parrots:
    If all they're making is more of what they have made before then I's say they HAVE run out of Ideas.

^ Top  
  5. Make America Great Again Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Jasede
    Parrots:
    No they haven't.

In the next Mario, he travels through TIME.
    In the next Zelda, there's a new item, the crossbow.
    In the next Metroid, there's a new boss.

^ Top  
  6. Kaiserin Liturgist

Kaiserin
    Parrots:
    http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Aspie

As for the OP, that was awesome. It wasn't even that the guy was that confrontational either, Nintendo is just full of shit ideas at the moment it seems.

^ Top  
  7. Murk Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Murk
    Parrots:
    It's somewhat comical and depressing to know this company, so hailed for innovation, is constantly churning out the same shit over and over.

...and that they don't even try to hide the fact that their entire library is comprised of the same game remade over and over.

when the fuck did EA sports take over nintendo?

^ Top  
  8. almondblight Arcane

almondblight
    Parrots:
    The worst part is the games are all the sameIt's not just Mario, Zelda, and Metriod again. It's Mario fights bowser to save peach, Link fights Ganondorf to save Zelda, Metriod fights Ridley/space pirates. Eh...?

^ Top  
  9. Kaiserin Liturgist

Kaiserin
    Parrots:
    No shit, Nintendo has been canning it's own farts and smelling them for years. The soundtrack in Twilight Princess pulls a lot of stuff right out of OOT. Every thing is some fucked up retelling of the same thing in a different universe that holds no sense of continuity with the other products, just a whole lot of similarities.

I'm actually starting to wonder how they hell they ever got this reputation. I was definitely under the impression that they were creative for a while...

^ Top  
  10. kingcomrade Kingcomrade Edgy

kingcomrade
    Parrots:
    That was the joke

^ Top  
  11. Erzherzog Magister

Erzherzog
    Parrots:
    Nintendo fanboys are amusing. They hold Nintendo in such high regard that they can do no wrong.

Which I guess is the definition of a fanboy. I guess there's just a lot more Nintendo fanboys.

^ Top  
  12. Make America Great Again DarkUnderlord Bringing that old Raptor magic.

DarkUnderlord
    Parrots:
    Look into the Codex and the Codex looks into you
    Ahzaruuk failed his saving throw vs detect sarcasm.

^ Top  
  13. Edward_R_Murrow Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Edward_R_Murrow
    Parrots:
    I think that's for two reasons. The excusable one being that it's a series, and generally series keep some themes from game to game. To me, that's a good thing. The inexcusable reason, though, was it's attempt to further smother the player in Ocarina of Time nostalgia.

For the lulz, go say that on a GameFAGs Zelda board and watch as they go completely crazy trying to rationalize some out of context quote from a poorly translated interview about how all the Zelda games are connected. It's pretty funny.

Eh....they are.....it's just hit and miss most of the time, and they missed a lot a few years back which is what is driving their (far) more conservative nature now. Though now they do seem to be getting a little gimmicky.

^ Top  
  14. aboyd Liturgist

aboyd
    Parrots:
    Actually, I think they're being very innovative right now... it's just that they're innovating away from anything I'd like.

I've owned the Wii since the first day it came out. I ran a Wii fanboy Web site and forum for the first 18 months or so. I bit my tongue while the Wii got poo-poo'd here.

I still like it for all the reasons that I was first attracted to it. I like it for being able to play all the old, original Nintendo games. I've boughts tons of them at the Wii store, and I suspect that the original Sim City for the NES is my kids second or third favorite game. Some of the old stuff has legs, and is really good still today.

I love the Wii for the innovative controls, which never bothered me much and in fact made me pretty happy. My kids love a lot of the platformers on the system, and I love a lot of the 5 minute mini-games (especially the Rayman stuff).

I even like the Web browser.

But having said all that, Nintendo is lately going away from "games for normal people." Now it's more like, "games for soccer moms." I really think Nintendo has confused the two, and assumes they are the same thing. They're not. I think Reggie was genuinely confused when the interviewer said that hardcore gamers were not smiling. Reggie thinks Animal Crossing is "hard core" for gamers? That's a serious disconnect from not only the hard core gamers, but even from the mainstream. His thinking has gone way over to being almost grandmotherly.

You know, it's one thing to say to a grumpy old gamer like me, "We know you love old RPGs, but try Excite Truck and see if it doesn't make you happy." It's another thing to say, "RPGs? Listen, you probably have a weight problem from sitting at the computer all day, you nerd, so maybe do Wii Fit on a schedule, OK?" I mean, Excite Truck and similar shallow but amusing games are at least fun. But Wii Fit? Really? We're talking about turning the Wii into the discarded exercise cycle that nobody uses? We're talking about turning the Wii into that thing that makes us feel guilty because we're supposed to use it? I want to want to use the Wii. This is just ridiculous.

This is where I can't go. I feel like Nintendo is Tom Hanks in the movie Big -- he's fully crossed over into being an adult, but I just want to play some damn games. Couldn't he just walk away from adulthood and think up something fun to play with his old friends? Please?

^ Top  
  15. Murk Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Murk
    Parrots:
    just come out and say it, the wii is the console for mac users and people who listen to modest mouse.

^ Top  
  16. bobisimo Novice

bobisimo
    Parrots:
    I think part of the problem, actually, is the innovative controls. It's like it's hand-cuffing Nintendo. Nintendo came up with such a brilliant/obvious control scheme and also the concept of the active gamer - i.e. the pre-release Wii videos hyping the concept - but for all the potential that idea has they just don't seem to know what to do with it.

You'd think they'd be falling over with game ideas based on the foundation but the results have been limited.

I've got maybe a little over a dozen Wii games, and I've had a lot of fun with the hits like Boom Blox, Mario Galaxy, Mario RPG, Mario Kart, Wii Sports, so like you I feel like I've gotten my money's worth... but there just ain't a lot else out, currently available or on the horizon, to play.

I saw the video for the upcoming Rayman game - which uses the Wii fit in conjunction with the remote and nunchuk - and, again, it looks fun, but... that's that same idea. Surely there's more.

But I've never followed Nintendo in the past. I know I've heard talk that they were always weak with 3rd party and their 1st party titles were limited. So maybe this is just more of the same old dance from them.

^ Top  
  17. Make America Great Again deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    Parrots:
    [quote="almondblight"Link fights Ganondorf to save Zeld[/quote]

Quit lieing you troll, 1.Link fights Ganon (Ganon is the beast thing... Ganondorf is the human, both have 2 n) more then he does Ganondorf 2.Link fights Ganons puppet (who we are soposed to believe is acting on his own) THEN fights ganon

^ Top  
  18. Murk Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Murk
    Parrots:
    wii fit? you have to have it to play this rayman game?

^ Top  
  19. Ahzaruuk Arbiter

Ahzaruuk
    Parrots:
    It's not my fault! I have it on a 1d 4 roll :(

^ Top  
  20. Make America Great Again deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    Parrots:
    I feel the need to demonstrate that I have no life and tell you that

1.this would be a sense motives check.
    2.both saveing throws and sense motives use a d20.

^ Top  
  21. Balor Arcane

Balor
    Parrots:
    I guess he meant that his wisdom score is 4.

^ Top  
  22. Sovy Kurosei Erudite

Sovy Kurosei
    Parrots:
    :lol:

^ Top  
  23. TheLostOne Savant

TheLostOne
    Parrots:
    You know that scene in Borat when he goes to that horrible humor coach and fails at it even worse than the coach does? That's kind of how it seems every time you try to be funny.

You'd save against sarcasm not against detect sarcasm, or you'd fail your detect sarcasm skill check. Nitpicky (and incredibly dorky), sure, but your obvious lack of comprehension of the underlining mechanics the joke was based upon makes it clear that you never really should have found it funny in the first place and are just repeating what you thought you heard.

If you want to fit in so badly try to make sure your rehashed geek memes are at least accurate.

Sorry, but I'm still pissed that you deleted the MCA tribute thread.

^ Top  
  24. J1M Arcane

J1M
    Parrots:
    I could care less about a thread deletion, but this is an awesome post.

^ Top  
  25. Admiral Rimjob POOBUM Arcane

Admiral Rimjob POOBUM
    Parrots:
    DU reminds me of the slightly out-of-touch grandfather figure who comes in every now and again to try to join in with the hip youngsters, attempting their lingo and sharing their jokes. He means well, and he's a pretty cool guy sometimes, but he just makes everyone feel kind of uncomfortable and nobody can really relax until he goes back to his pipe and slippers.

Or something.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)