Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo gets called out

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Awesome I didn't know Nintendo was making another Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Animal Crossing, etc. game. I thought they'd finally run out of ideas, but more sequels are on the way!

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
kingcomrade said:
Awesome I didn't know Nintendo was making another Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Animal Crossing, etc. game. I thought they'd finally run out of ideas, but more sequels are on the way!
If all they're making is more of what they have made before then I's say they HAVE run out of Ideas.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
No they haven't.

In the next Mario, he travels through TIME.
In the next Zelda, there's a new item, the crossbow.
In the next Metroid, there's a new boss.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
Ahzaruuk said:
kingcomrade said:
If all they're making is more of what they have made before then I's say they HAVE run out of Ideas.
http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Aspie

As for the OP, that was awesome. It wasn't even that the guy was that confrontational either, Nintendo is just full of shit ideas at the moment it seems.

Murk

Arcane
It's somewhat comical and depressing to know this company, so hailed for innovation, is constantly churning out the same shit over and over.

...and that they don't even try to hide the fact that their entire library is comprised of the same game remade over and over.

when the fuck did EA sports take over nintendo?

almondblight

Arcane
The worst part is the games are all the sameIt's not just Mario, Zelda, and Metriod again. It's Mario fights bowser to save peach, Link fights Ganondorf to save Zelda, Metriod fights Ridley/space pirates. Eh...?

Kaiserin

Liturgist
No shit, Nintendo has been canning it's own farts and smelling them for years. The soundtrack in Twilight Princess pulls a lot of stuff right out of OOT. Every thing is some fucked up retelling of the same thing in a different universe that holds no sense of continuity with the other products, just a whole lot of similarities.

I'm actually starting to wonder how they hell they ever got this reputation. I was definitely under the impression that they were creative for a while...

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Ahzaruuk said:
kingcomrade said:
That was the joke

Erzherzog

Magister
Nintendo fanboys are amusing. They hold Nintendo in such high regard that they can do no wrong.

Which I guess is the definition of a fanboy. I guess there's just a lot more Nintendo fanboys.

Kaiserin said:
The soundtrack in Twilight Princess pulls a lot of stuff right out of OOT.

I think that's for two reasons. The excusable one being that it's a series, and generally series keep some themes from game to game. To me, that's a good thing. The inexcusable reason, though, was it's attempt to further smother the player in Ocarina of Time nostalgia.

Every thing is some fucked up retelling of the same thing in a different universe that holds no sense of continuity with the other products, just a whole lot of similarities.

For the lulz, go say that on a GameFAGs Zelda board and watch as they go completely crazy trying to rationalize some out of context quote from a poorly translated interview about how all the Zelda games are connected. It's pretty funny.

I'm actually starting to wonder how they hell they ever got this reputation. I was definitely under the impression that they were creative for a while...

Eh....they are.....it's just hit and miss most of the time, and they missed a lot a few years back which is what is driving their (far) more conservative nature now. Though now they do seem to be getting a little gimmicky.

aboyd

Liturgist
Actually, I think they're being very innovative right now... it's just that they're innovating away from anything I'd like.

I've owned the Wii since the first day it came out. I ran a Wii fanboy Web site and forum for the first 18 months or so. I bit my tongue while the Wii got poo-poo'd here.

I still like it for all the reasons that I was first attracted to it. I like it for being able to play all the old, original Nintendo games. I've boughts tons of them at the Wii store, and I suspect that the original Sim City for the NES is my kids second or third favorite game. Some of the old stuff has legs, and is really good still today.

I love the Wii for the innovative controls, which never bothered me much and in fact made me pretty happy. My kids love a lot of the platformers on the system, and I love a lot of the 5 minute mini-games (especially the Rayman stuff).

I even like the Web browser.

But having said all that, Nintendo is lately going away from "games for normal people." Now it's more like, "games for soccer moms." I really think Nintendo has confused the two, and assumes they are the same thing. They're not. I think Reggie was genuinely confused when the interviewer said that hardcore gamers were not smiling. Reggie thinks Animal Crossing is "hard core" for gamers? That's a serious disconnect from not only the hard core gamers, but even from the mainstream. His thinking has gone way over to being almost grandmotherly.

You know, it's one thing to say to a grumpy old gamer like me, "We know you love old RPGs, but try Excite Truck and see if it doesn't make you happy." It's another thing to say, "RPGs? Listen, you probably have a weight problem from sitting at the computer all day, you nerd, so maybe do Wii Fit on a schedule, OK?" I mean, Excite Truck and similar shallow but amusing games are at least fun. But Wii Fit? Really? We're talking about turning the Wii into the discarded exercise cycle that nobody uses? We're talking about turning the Wii into that thing that makes us feel guilty because we're supposed to use it? I want to want to use the Wii. This is just ridiculous.

This is where I can't go. I feel like Nintendo is Tom Hanks in the movie Big -- he's fully crossed over into being an adult, but I just want to play some damn games. Couldn't he just walk away from adulthood and think up something fun to play with his old friends? Please?

Murk

Arcane
just come out and say it, the wii is the console for mac users and people who listen to modest mouse.

bobisimo

Novice
aboyd said:
But having said all that, Nintendo is lately going away from "games for normal people." Now it's more like, "games for soccer moms." I really think Nintendo has confused the two...

I think part of the problem, actually, is the innovative controls. It's like it's hand-cuffing Nintendo. Nintendo came up with such a brilliant/obvious control scheme and also the concept of the active gamer - i.e. the pre-release Wii videos hyping the concept - but for all the potential that idea has they just don't seem to know what to do with it.

You'd think they'd be falling over with game ideas based on the foundation but the results have been limited.

I've got maybe a little over a dozen Wii games, and I've had a lot of fun with the hits like Boom Blox, Mario Galaxy, Mario RPG, Mario Kart, Wii Sports, so like you I feel like I've gotten my money's worth... but there just ain't a lot else out, currently available or on the horizon, to play.

I saw the video for the upcoming Rayman game - which uses the Wii fit in conjunction with the remote and nunchuk - and, again, it looks fun, but... that's that same idea. Surely there's more.

But I've never followed Nintendo in the past. I know I've heard talk that they were always weak with 3rd party and their 1st party titles were limited. So maybe this is just more of the same old dance from them.

deuxhero

Arcane
[quote="almondblight"Link fights Ganondorf to save Zeld[/quote]

Quit lieing you troll, 1.Link fights Ganon (Ganon is the beast thing... Ganondorf is the human, both have 2 n) more then he does Ganondorf 2.Link fights Ganons puppet (who we are soposed to believe is acting on his own) THEN fights ganon

Murk

Arcane
wii fit? you have to have it to play this rayman game?

deuxhero

Arcane
I feel the need to demonstrate that I have no life and tell you that

1.this would be a sense motives check.
2.both saveing throws and sense motives use a d20.

Balor

Arcane
deuxhero said:

I guess he meant that his wisdom score is 4.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
deuxhero said:

:lol:

TheLostOne

Savant
DarkUnderlord said:
Ahzaruuk failed his saving throw vs detect sarcasm.

You know that scene in Borat when he goes to that horrible humor coach and fails at it even worse than the coach does? That's kind of how it seems every time you try to be funny.

You'd save against sarcasm not against detect sarcasm, or you'd fail your detect sarcasm skill check. Nitpicky (and incredibly dorky), sure, but your obvious lack of comprehension of the underlining mechanics the joke was based upon makes it clear that you never really should have found it funny in the first place and are just repeating what you thought you heard.

If you want to fit in so badly try to make sure your rehashed geek memes are at least accurate.

Sorry, but I'm still pissed that you deleted the MCA tribute thread.

J1M

Arcane
TheLostOne said:
DarkUnderlord said:
Ahzaruuk failed his saving throw vs detect sarcasm.

You know that scene in Borat when he goes to that horrible humor coach and fails at it even worse than the coach does? That's kind of how it seems every time you try to be funny.

You'd save against sarcasm not against detect sarcasm, or you'd fail your detect sarcasm skill check. Nitpicky (and incredibly dorky), sure, but your obvious lack of comprehension of the underlining mechanics the joke was based upon makes it clear that you never really should have found it funny in the first place and are just repeating what you thought you heard.

If you want to fit in so badly try to make sure your rehashed geek memes are at least accurate.

Sorry, but I'm still pissed that you deleted the MCA tribute thread.
I could care less about a thread deletion, but this is an awesome post.

DU reminds me of the slightly out-of-touch grandfather figure who comes in every now and again to try to join in with the hip youngsters, attempting their lingo and sharing their jokes. He means well, and he's a pretty cool guy sometimes, but he just makes everyone feel kind of uncomfortable and nobody can really relax until he goes back to his pipe and slippers.

Or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom