Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Nightdive Studios' System Shock Remake Kickstarter is live, Chris Avellone onboard

DraQ

Arcane
Some typical 'dexian bitching, but where i'm standing, i find this endeavour a good sign..

- young people, and i mean really fucking young, jeesus, having the right role models and ideals? Professionally speaking anyway
- relatively fresh (and in today's industry at that) developers talking about sound as the n1 pillar?
Agreed. Effectively refreshing an oldie to modern audiovisuals isn't the most glamorous thing one can imagine, but keeping the tech while effectively rolling back all the shit that got bad in gaming industry then managing to sell the result *IS* appealing.
Maybe we will get the games we were expecting back when we played SS1, after all.

- an (apparent at least) comprehension of how SS's systems almost made it into an RPG and a desire to build on that further?
And that is worrying. From what I have seen ND can be counted on not to fuck up as long as they stick to the original and mostly keep updating the cosmetics. Whether they will be able to avoid fucking up when trying to offload their own mechanics onto SS1 is not entirely certain, and less so if they are going to use SS2 as their role model, as SS2 mechanics wasn't exactly its highlight.

As for original style controls, they would be nice if toggleable - they were too cumbersome for just moving around and shooting things, but in some situations they offered unparalleled level of control.

A user named cat

Game does look like a completely boring cash grab and Avellone's name means about as much as Molyneux nowadays. Please retardo topic and give this pile of orchestral unity dung no more attention.

DraQ

Arcane
Ok, played the demo a bit.

It runs ok more or less, but pre-alpha stage is pretty evident.
  • Not all controls are rebindable and not all controls do stuff. It looks like early build hairiness more than anything else.
  • UI is currently pretty awful and suggests 2 weapon slots - this needs to be changed, and MFD functionality needs to be added.
  • Walk speed looks identical to SS1 (I ran SS portable to verify), sprinting is somewhat slower and a bit too slow.
  • There are only 2 weapons in demo lead pipe and sparq
  • Sparq has 4 firing modes - 3 presets roughly corresponnding to the points on its power scale in original and fourth corresponding to the "OVER" mode. It also has heat gauge, can overheat and power setting determines its rate of fire on top of that. It's pretty sexy, fun to use and, based on what could be inferred from original's clump of pixels, looks like the original sparq. It also looks like energy weapon when firing rather than like ejaculation of some guy who ate a lot of glowsticks (see nu-DUM's plasma gun for reference)
  • It feels like adding some defensive capability against melee to melee weapons would be a good idea as far as changes to the original go.
  • There seems to be no audio log or most hud capabilities from the original in the demo, bloody "451" on the wall might be a temporary solution.
  • Layouts and general looks seem to have about 1:1 correspondence with the original, notable difference being cameras with more modern, eyeball shape, receptionist desk and some extra crates, shelves and so on. Assets closely mirror the original.
  • The demo looks and runs quite well on my ancient machine. Some better res textures would be nice.
  • The environment textures are unfiltered, I guess it looks better than smeary but no strong preference either way - still waiting for someone to rediscover the concept of detail texturing and apply it to modern textures and *maps.
  • Implant animations probably won't be much of a problem given that there just aren't going to be that many implants. Weapon pickup animations likewise - as long as the devs have enough sense to not repeat them for already encountered weapons.
  • Likewise healing animation - especially given that automed use is now blocked with enemies nearby.
  • The only problematic anim is charging station, it needs to be toned down.
  • The demo is prone to crashes around the dark corridor area. :hahano:

Gauldur's Bait

Arbiter
DraQ basically covered it. I had a CTD exactly in the dark corridor area, on my first game. Concerning performance - my i7 & GTX 970 on max power setting did not manage to run the game smoothly at all parts of the demo level, so there is some serious optimization to be done.

Really liked the demo though (of course it gets the nostalgia points) and I can see myself buying this eventually.

sstacks

Arcane
Here's 20 minutes of the demo. I crashed in the dark corridor area and left it at that. Mostly had fun.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Eh, I understand the skepticism but so far I like what I've seen, played, read and heard. I'm looking forward to it.... at this point. Could do without the orchestra and crafting though.

Caconym

Augur
Well I've just finished replaying SS2 yesterday, so all this fuss was a clear net positive to me as far as I'm concerned!

I can see the potential in the pre-alpha, and I have a reasonable amount of faith in the Night Dive guys. December 2017 Mid-2018 is still ages away, give them time.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
I would settle for another dark engine SS game. I am serious here. They probably have good intentions bu the demo is pretty meh. Didnt feel cyberpunkish enough.

If Neurath blows my mind with Underworld Ascendant and SS3 then I will bow down to my LGS lords again.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
The sound design and inventory really shined in SS2, I just dont see the same level in the demo. But hey things can change.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom