Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Nightdive Studios' System Shock Remake Kickstarter is live, Chris Avellone onboard

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
:negative:

Viata

Arcane
Apparently if you promise that you MAY make it an rpg, if you got the money needed, it's enough to got a news post. Ha, who am I kidding? It's just got to have MCA and people will go jump in his dick and make a news about it even if it was an sport game. At least could expect it to get that goal if it was about the rpg part. :troll:

Seerix

Arbiter
So uhm, anibodi tried the demo? Is it gud?

If you want to walk around for a bit, smack some childish robots with a pipe and get terrorized by Unity asset mutants then the demo is fucking amazing.

Available locations look pretty damn generic, but some objects and most effects looks extremely good. Scenic view of the gas giant and the quick day/night cycle from rotation of the station were very nice.

There's the obligatory 451 reference, some woman tells you on the radio to go somewhere and I guess you get welcome message from glitching Shodan. You also find some energy pistol with two firing modes. The demo is extremely short, but proves that they can make a video game. Nothing about making actual remake of System Shock, though. Only bunch of references.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Uh those "references" are exactly the beginning of the original System Shock.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Hmmm the demo does kind of look and feel cool. I might back this, actually.

And it seems there's a pretty star quality team behind it aswell. MCA, original concept art guy who worked on SS1, Thief and Bioshock and the leading directors from Fallout: New Vegas.. hm.

---

Arcane
I just hope that they will do a good job and that they will start working on SS3 :positive:

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
500k.

not-bad-putin-obama-is-too-general_fb_1137257.jpg

Paul_cz

Arcane
instabacked. One of the most impressive kickstarters I have seen. And Avellone can always get some of my money.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
What's the point of a remake then? It's like the remake of Monkey Islands - they produced a beautiful new hand painted grahics but they kept the jerky 1990s animations. For nostalgia purposes. IF I WANT NOSTALGIA IMMA PLAY THE ORIGINAL YOU DINGLEBERRIES.

I liked the pixelated art in the first two monkey island games better though. The newer ones(including the older sequels starting from 3) became too childish for my taste.

ikarinokami

Augur
unity engine why?

god, I hate that trash engine, it needs to stay on mobile and andriod

sstacks

Arcane
Stephen Kick from Nightdive Studios will be on the show this weekend talking about the System Shock game and kickstarter.

I've reached out to MCA with an invite but no clue if he'll be on or not.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This just looks good to me, the original formula has been done to death nowadays with bioshock and other game like Gone Home where the story is slowly handed to you on on audiologs notes and books but this looks to be a very good update; everything looks spot on and the vibe is just right
Backed
:mca:

Darkzone

Arcane
unity engine why?
Because it is free from any fees and the pro version costs only $1500. Naturally it has some problems, but if you know java then you can also write skripts in java for unity. UE4 is in my opinion better, but you have to pay 5% from the revenues to epic and you have to know C++ or learn to programm with blueprints. If shity games are made on Unity it does not mean therefore that Unity is shit, because you can also create the same shit on UE4. From my experience Unity seems to be a nice tool if you know how to handle it, and certainly it has made a great impact on the game producing world, even on the sales concept of UE.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
unity engine why?
Because it is free from any fees and the pro version costs only $1500. Naturally it has some problems, but if you know java then you can also write skripts in java for unity. UE4 is in my opinion better, but you have to pay 5% from the revenues to epic and you have to know C++ or learn to programm with blueprints. If shity games are made on Unity it does not mean therefore that Unity is shit, because you can also create the same shit on UE4. From my experience Unity seems to be a nice tool if you know how to handle it, and certainly it has made a great impact on the game producing world, even on the sales concept of UE.

A shit game made with UE4 remains shit, but a good game made with unity is also shit.

Darkzone

Arcane

If shity games are made on Unity it does not mean therefore that Unity is shit, because you can also create the same shit on UE4. From my experience Unity seems to be a nice tool if you know how to handle it, and certainly it has made a great impact on the game producing world, even on the sales concept of UE.
A shit game made with UE4 remains shit, but a good game made with unity is also shit.

I think that The Long Dark proves you wrong and in PoE the engine is/was also not the problem. Firewatch is also good and made in unity and also T:ToN (here i restrain myself from any judgement until i have the finished product in my hand). Every engine has it's pros and cons, but i still have not seen a game that was bad because it used Unity. I admit that the dynamic shodows memory leack was annoying in WL2, but it was definitly not a deal breaker.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

If shity games are made on Unity it does not mean therefore that Unity is shit, because you can also create the same shit on UE4. From my experience Unity seems to be a nice tool if you know how to handle it, and certainly it has made a great impact on the game producing world, even on the sales concept of UE.

I think that The Long Dark proves you wrong and in PoE the engine is/was also not the problem. Firewatch is also good and made in unity and also T:ToN (here i restrain myself from any judgement until i have the finished product in my hand). Every engine has it's pros and cons, but i still have not seen a game that was bad because it used Unity. I admit that the dynamic shodows memory leack was annoying in WL2, but it was definitly not a deal breaker.

Uh, no? Don't you remember how Obsidian reported that getting something as mundane as a save system working was a hurdle for them? I'm sure there were countless other technical difficulties that they had to wrestle with that we aren't aware of that ended up affecting the final product. It's not an OK engine, it's awful. The only reason anyone uses it is because it's cheap. It has nothing to offer as far as technical competence goes. Just because a few games have come out that seem OK does not mean that they did not have to struggle with the awful technical aspects of the engine that may have affected the end product in some negative manner, one way or another.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From Copper Dreams to the Stasis Cayne DLC, you may not like Unity, but it what's you have to play. Beggars can't be choosers.

But I'd wait and see how an Unreal engine indie/mid-budget RPG plays like before judging. We haven't really had any yet. I guess the first will be Bard's Tale IV?

Last edited:

Paul_cz

Arcane
Unity 4 and older sucked. Unity 5 is much better. In this SS demo with zero optimisation I had around 120fps.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why was Stephen drinking Surge in 1994? Surge came out in 1996. It's like that scene in Rambo 2 where Murdock lies to Rambo about his Vietnam expierience.

Fuck this game.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Still original version looks beter imo but for newfags it will be chance to try something good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom