Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Nightdive Studios' System Shock Remake Kickstarter is live, Chris Avellone onboard

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It feels like it's competent work and the devs seem to appreciate the original, but... meh. "Modernisation" seems to more or less bring it down to the "been there done that in a million other games" -level.

Kindda this. When SS came out it was a revelation. The atmosphere, the uniqueness, the intelligence and class of it all, in a time when most games were about a little colourful dude capering around a 2D fairytale world to some cheerful disney channel muzak.

But today? Today we have played the sequel, all the Deus Exes, the Bioshocks, the Dead Spaces. The original will come across as totaly ordinary and uninventive. The youngsters will not be impressed. Especially considering the new graphics is pretty bad. They managed to keep the aesthetics but they also kept the pixels and technical quality of computer prehistory.

What's the point of a remake then? It's like the remake of Monkey Islands - they produced a beautiful new hand painted grahics but they kept the jerky 1990s animations. For nostalgia purposes. IF I WANT NOSTALGIA IMMA PLAY THE ORIGINAL YOU DINGLEBERRIES.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
900k?? Sounds a bit much... I expected 400-500k. Not sure if this is greed for money or the SS1 fanbase is going to stem that.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Sorry, not backing this. You can't have a System Shock remake with a completely new music. The original OST is one of the best pieces of music ever composed for a computer game and an absolutely integral part of the game. It's like Blade Runner without Vangelis, like Star Wars without Williams. Madness.

I agree with the sentiment. But my vote depends on whether the new music is as good or better.

Played the demo, but couldn't experience the nightmarish atmosphere of the original System Shock anymore. Using the generic Unity 1st person blueprint with bloom everywhere doesn't help either.

But I guess, for me personally, after System Shock 2, the Dead Space series and the great SOMA, that particular setting is worn out.

This is my number one concern.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Sorry, not backing this. You can't have a System Shock remake with a completely new music. The original OST is one of the best pieces of music ever composed for a computer game and an absolutely integral part of the game. It's like Blade Runner without Vangelis, like Star Wars without Williams. Madness.

I agree with the sentiment. But my vote depends on whether the new music is as good or better.

I don't know the new composer and I wish him all best. But honestly, it's about as likely as stepping into the same river twice. The best we can realistically hope for is it's gonna be like the rest of the game - a competent effort and a pleasant reminder of the original. But nowhere near the unforgettable, industry defining masterpiece that the original was.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
There is a demo? Where?

I hope they put their own spin like SS2 did. Game was terrifying back then and still is. That Thief level sound design.

Dark Engine games have the best sound ever. They did it with almost no actual music. Most was this deep ominous rumble in the background mixed with that creepy echo sound of voices and machinery. Even though I haven't played it for a decade I still remember the 'breathing' machinery when you get to the hydroponics level in SS2 the first time, or how after a bout of pure silence, you get close to a computer terminal and it hits you with this crescendo of noise. Little things like that...now it's 'creepy' music and/or sudden roars in between silence to provide cheap jump scares or more usually just annoying startles. The ability to create unease in the player purely through minimalist soundscapes is lost.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
So is System Shock Enhanced Edition any good for someone that never played SS before?

Severian Silk

There was nothing in SS that needed to be remade (except mouselook).

Darkzone

Arcane
Technically there is no reason to have SS remake. But on the other side SS is not bioshock, deadspace or doom and perhaps the youngsters will be impressed. And perhaps this will lead to an rise an more intelligent FP (RPG) games.
(Yes i know that i'm a gullible fool sometimes, but sometimes optimism pays off.)

ArchAngel

Arcane
So is System Shock Enhanced Edition any good for someone that never played SS before?

Look at a few screenshots. If you're fine with the early 1990s engine then it's a fucking blast.
I don't mind the graphics, I recently played a modded Hexen. I do care that UI is usable and that it is enhanced enough to use keyboard and mouse like you would expect from a more modern game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Look at a few screenshots. If you're fine with the early 1990s engine then it's a fucking blast.
I don't mind the graphics, I recently played a modded Hexen. I do care that UI is usable and that it is enhanced enough to use keyboard and mouse like you would expect from a more modern game.

It is. Btw the horror stories about the original UI are greatly exaggerated anyway, it was a bit clunky but not to the point it would ruin the experience.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
About to hit $400k. Not sure if this is going as fast as they were expecting. Hopefully their updates will add some newsworthy info to keep this in the gaming spotlight as I am very curios to see what they can do.

DeepOcean

Arcane
least moderntards will see what good leven design is.
Most modern tards will be too busy playing CoD at 30 fps as that is the most human eyes can see, than this confusing and outdated game made when the technology was too primitive to allow it to be CoD.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Absolutely yes! It is top 5 games of all times still (in my eyes).

Technically there is no reason to have SS remake. But on the other side SS is not bioshock, deadspace or doom and perhaps the youngsters will be impressed. And perhaps this will lead to an rise an more intelligent FP (RPG) games.
(Yes i know that i'm a gullible fool sometimes, but sometimes optimism pays off.)
Agree.

Interface is fine. I was used to him for half an hour.
The only real problem was lack of mouslook, but that was solved in 08-09.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It feels like it's competent work and the devs seem to appreciate the original, but... meh. "Modernisation" seems to more or less bring it down to the "been there done that in a million other games" -level.

Kindda this. When SS came out it was a revelation. The atmosphere, the uniqueness, the intelligence and class of it all
dc7f7f43721f8aa78b1874a898f18adc.jpg

But today?
hac2.jpg

khavi

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
I'm curious, did Shodan tell Stephen Kick that she wanted a shit-boring banal orchestral score instead of the glorious mind-ripping techno that a remix of the original could be?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom