Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NieR: Automata from Yoko Taro and Platinum Games

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I'm 99% certain it will be coded to brick your PS4 after seeing the last true ending, which you can only see if you 200% the game, twice, and then beat a secret boss that involves an incredibly hard shoot 'em up level and can only be beaten by shooting him in tune with the music, which stops playing half way through the fight.

Platinum loves shoot-em up minigames that come out of nowhere...I think you might be onto something.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Has Platinum done a game where there's not something like a combo gauge that's important either in terms of core mechanics or for scoring? I haven't even played a Bayonetta so this is a question from total ignorance. I'm just thinking back to why I somewhat enjoyed PS2 Devil May Cry games without being blown away by them but then really loved Souls/Dragon's Dogma and I'm wondering if pure utilitarian combos is an important difference.
There's Vanquish, I suppose

Martius

Liturgist
Platinum loves shoot-em up minigames that come out of nowhere...I think you might be onto something.
That's more of Kamiya thing. There are a bunch of such minigames in first Bayonetta and Wonderful 101 but on the other hand another director took over Bayonetta 2 and you can feel that. There are much less of these and are pretty manageable.

Ivan

Arcane

After the AAA drought Platinum is delivering once again. I love me some gauntlet weapons. Combat looks more to be more of the spectacle kind (DMC, Bayo) than the visceral (brawler) but that's fine.

lightbane

Arcane
I like how that opera she-bot has her dress decorated with child-like android bodies (assuming somehow they're not actual human bodies of some sort). Yoko didn't even wait for the game to be released to show on-screen child murder/abuse. :lol:

Additionally, not-Zero's companion dies. Chances are he'll do so in most endings, if not all of them. Perhaps he'll even betray you in some of these. The desert area also return it seems. Perhaps we'll see a newly made Temple of Trials as well?

Ivan

Arcane
Do we know who from Platinum is involved? Not that we know everyone but there are a few names that carry weight (e.g. saito, kamiya)

Mozg

Arcane
Is there any extended video of peon-fighting? They just do it in quick flashes in this video.

The 3D bullet hell boss doesn't look particularly exciting unless the pure movement mechanics are fun on their own.

lightbane

Arcane
Extended video about the boss battle with the opera she-bot from hell:

Nothing really special and the final parts of the battle are skipped, although at least it has nice music.

Ivan

Arcane

what I really want Platinum to do is a brawler with environmental pickups a la God Hand....

boss fight looks neat. I don't know anything about Nier but this looks much more laid back than the ecstatic Bayo 2

Ivan

Arcane
According to Takahisa Taura, the game's lead designer at Platinum, Automata is being made by the "younger generation" within Platinum Games, a team of newer designers who are hopeful to prove themselves with this title. Most of the time when you think of Platinum, you think of developers like Okami and Bayonetta creator Hideki Kamiya, but according to Taura, the "old" team is focused on Scalebound and other projects while Taura's team builds Nier.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
According to Takahisa Taura, the game's lead designer at Platinum, Automata is being made by the "younger generation" within Platinum Games, a team of newer designers who are hopeful to prove themselves with this title. Most of the time when you think of Platinum, you think of developers like Okami and Bayonetta creator Hideki Kamiya, but according to Taura, the "old" team is focused on Scalebound and other projects while Taura's team builds Nier.

So why does Scalebound look like generic stale AAA tripe and this game looks like a typical Platinum game?

GrainWetski

Arcane
giphy.gif

Now port the first one, bitches.

Puukko

Arcane
Aw shit yeah! I really liked Nier but don't have a PS4 so this is excellent news.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom