Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NieR: Automata from Yoko Taro and Platinum Games

hexer

I'm hoping we'll also get 4k textures they put into a Xbox release

A horse of course

Wonder what goodies they packed into it!

Nier: Automata Game of the YoRHa Edition on its way, according to ESRB rating

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...a-edition-on-its-way-according-to-esrb-rating
The dlc and some pointless costumes to trick people to buy it again.

Then again, it is yoko taro so I wouldn't be too surprised to learn they remade the entire last third of the game into an alternate timeline or something...

He'd have to deviate from his irl nip cosplay pantomine epilogue if he did so. But who knows.

I've kept the game installed just in case I feel like going back and doing the combat challenges/Lvl 99 boss after Drakengard 2/3/Nier, but if they're going to re-release it as Yorha Edition without a free upgrade, I'll uninstall.

Renfri

Cipher
I finished first run of the game, it took less than 14h in game time. Overall charming game with fun combat, cool setting and excellent soundtrack, also some fancy humor mixed in. I played on normal difficulty and despite combat being fun, it was also quite easy cos you could just spam healing items, or try to pewpew from safe distance, so I didn't die at all. But somehow it still manged to be lots of fun.

So I'd say: :4/5: + Honorary mention to 2B's thighs :salute:

Pascal is such a cutie ;)

Renfri

Cipher
You literally haven't finished the game. This isn't the usual autistic fanboy line - the game's sidequests and main story are all part of Endings A-E so you should do them all.
As I stated above: I finished first run, that's all. And I am able to read English text box that informed me that you should do multiple runs, but whatever, be butthurt for no reason.

A horse of course

You literally haven't finished the game. This isn't the usual autistic fanboy line - the game's sidequests and main story are all part of Endings A-E so you should do them all.
As I stated above: I finished first run, that's all. And I am able to read English text box that informed me that you should do multiple runs, but whatever, be butthurt for no reason.

Nobody is butthurt you brain-damaged ESL subhuman, we're just trying to stop you from missing the rest of the game due to its quirk of calling different Acts "Endings" or "playthroughs" when the game is actually a single contiguous experience.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
To be honest, I understand him. Nowhere did he indicate he was done for good.
If anything, you're being arrogant because you are implying Renfri is so ignorant and blind that he missed the gigantic text box telling him he's not done yet.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
Plot-wise, I was kinda disappointed. I felt like Neir was a much cleaner, more focused game. Having both chips and pod programs seemed really redundant, like they were spreading something originally planned to be one feature into two. The machine aspect really wasn't represented very well either, though I suppose that's something of a minor quibble.

Overall, I was left feeling nonplussed by the whole affair- yeah, it has that typical Yoko "Fuck You" quality to it, yet like the Drakengard series it never quite manages to achieve that sock-you-in-the-gut feeling Neir did due to one essential missing ingredient: I didn't care about any of its characters.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I definitely feel like that is Automatas weakest point. A lot of people who played the game felt a connection to 2B visually because, you know, they bought her bodypillow before the game even released. The connection the player had to most of the characters in the original Nie however, including the villains, was much grander.

I also think that that was by design. Much of the originals premise was about humanity, while Automata specifically was about lacking humanity, and the resulting existential issues that arise. It's somewhat clever in its presentation, and certainly better done than other nihilistic games, but caring about the characters in an RPG is very important for the overall experience. It's why most developers/writers nowadays let you fuck the entire cast, because that's the easiest way to make the majority of players "care" about the characters without requiring decent writing.
A good game makes you care about the character(s) you play as. A great game makes you understand and potentially care about the entire cast, including the villains.

hexer

Plot-wise, I was kinda disappointed. I felt like Neir was a much cleaner, more focused game. Having both chips and pod programs seemed really redundant, like they were spreading something originally planned to be one feature into two. The machine aspect really wasn't represented very well either, though I suppose that's something of a minor quibble.

Overall, I was left feeling nonplussed by the whole affair- yeah, it has that typical Yoko "Fuck You" quality to it, yet like the Drakengard series it never quite manages to achieve that sock-you-in-the-gut feeling Neir did due to one essential missing ingredient: I didn't care about any of its characters.

I completely disagree with you.. but respect your opinion.
Every point you criticized was done flawlessly in my eyes.
While Nier uses lots of sad backstories/scenes to make you like its characters ASAP,
Automata's characters get under your skin over longer time and then they never leave that spot.
In the end, I found myself rooting for some war androids to prevail in a godforsaken future like they were my childhood pals..
no matter how absurd it sounds when you look at it objectively.

A horse of course

To be honest, I understand him. Nowhere did he indicate he was done for good.
If anything, you're being arrogant because you are implying Renfri is so ignorant and blind that he missed the gigantic text box telling him he's not done yet.

He gave it a rating despite not having finished it, which means he's either cretinous or a games journalist, and when warned of this, accused me of being butthurt despite saying nothing against him - making him a barbarian.

Next time I'm just gonna let Scrooge be mean to you, backstabbing bastard.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
I feel I'm definitely in the minority opinion on this, but I thought Automata's soundtrack was slightly weaker than Neir's. I appreciate they were trying to do something different with the french chick that augmented the always-angelic Emi Evans (either that or Emi just couldn't cope with the larger soundtrack....?), but she just can't measure up.

hexer

A question for Nier fanatics...
Where is this scene from? I don't remember it

giphy.gif

P.S. For some reason, this is so satisfying to watch

giphy.gif

hexer

After 100+ hours of gameplay I only now find out you can pet the pod.
WTF is wrong with me?!
Who knows what else I missed..

Renfri

Cipher
Managed to achieve A2's ending, AKA third time seeing ending credits. Second run with 9S brought some nice variation to combat with hacking, but on other hand, it also made combat easier than before, which was unfortunate. There was only 1 hacking game that was challenging.

At some point it was pretty obvious that there is something fishy about Human Council, you only hear "their" voice and that's it, so fact that humans had died out didn't come as shock. Running around in same areas all this time starts to take its toll, but music never stops being awesome.

Also poor Pascal... :|

Despite all complaining, it has been entertaining so far. Anyway, back to playing :shittydog:

hexer

Managed to achieve A2's ending, AKA third time seeing ending credits. Second run with 9S brought some nice variation to combat with hacking, but on other hand, it also made combat easier than before, which was unfortunate. There was only 1 hacking game that was challenging.

At some point it was pretty obvious that there is something fishy about Human Council, you only hear "their" voice and that's it, so fact that humans had died out didn't come as shock. Running around in same areas all this time starts to take its toll, but music never stops being awesome.

Also poor Pascal... :|

Despite all complaining, it has been entertaining so far. Anyway, back to playing :shittydog:

You got ending C?
Now there are only D & E left.
Soon!

P.S. DLC has its own ending too

Dayyālu

Arcane
After 100+ hours of gameplay I only now find out you can pet the pod.

Petting the pod is one of the greatest pleasures of the game. I had to specifically check it on the Net 'cause difficult to discover with Mouse&Keyboard.

Renfri , if you want to 100% the game do it before doing both A2 and 9S' endings. For reasons. Taro reasons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom