Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NieR: Automata from Yoko Taro and Platinum Games

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
OK, fine. I'm stupid and wrong and it's my fault for expecting this game to be similar to a hundred similar games from my past that give reasonable explanation of their unique systems.

We can drop it now.
rating_butthurt.png

Last edited:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I would say there's no reason to belittle Automata's combat either. It's ENJOYABLE AND FUN, while also doing a fine job of being integrated into action setpieces. It's the sort of gold standard "this is the kind of combat your game should have," the combat does exactly what it sets out to do and it does it as well as it needs to.

It really needs to be emphasized how even doing that is an achievement, considering you have otherwise more or less nice games like Arcanum, Torment, or Bloodlines (heck, I'd argue every Fallout qualifies, albeit with the positive note that each of them has ways in which you can minimize or trivialize combat) with absolutely shit combat that feels like a half-baked chore.

This is one reason why NieR: Automata deserves credit for much more than just a truly exceptional level of storytelling (even more exceptional within its medium) and ability to use its medium for metafictional devices, since even as a game it's damn near perfect as an all-around display. It doesn't have that "good, but" thing regarding any of its features (it does feature good butt tho), with the possible exception of its rising propensity to crash the longer it runs. And that's pretty remarkable considering the default for games is that they totally half-ass at least one major feature.

Suicidal

Arcane
I would say there's no reason to belittle Automata's combat either. It's ENJOYABLE AND FUN, while also doing a fine job of being integrated into action setpieces. It's the sort of gold standard "this is the kind of combat your game should have," the combat does exactly what it sets out to do and it does it as well as it needs to.

It really needs to be emphasized how even doing that is an achievement, considering you have otherwise more or less nice games like Arcanum, Torment, or Bloodlines (heck, I'd argue every Fallout qualifies, albeit with the positive note that each of them has ways in which you can minimize or trivialize combat) with absolutely shit combat that feels like a half-baked chore.

This is one reason why NieR: Automata deserves credit for much more than just a truly exceptional level of storytelling (even more exceptional within its medium) and ability to use its medium for metafictional devices, since even as a game it's damn near perfect as an all-around display. It doesn't have that "good, but" thing regarding any of its features (it does feature good butt tho), with the possible exception of its rising propensity to crash the longer it runs. And that's pretty remarkable considering the default for games is that they totally half-ass at least one major feature.

I agree. As I said before, playing on hard, I enjoyed N:A's combat, especially the boss fights. The only things I didn't like were the low enemy variety and occasional HP sponge enemies (like a quest enemy that's identical to all others of its type except for the fact that it has 50 billion hit points).

Automata's combat is not bad. It's far from bad. It's just not as good as combat in other, more combat-focused games, like Devil May Cry.

If N:A has bad combat, then what do you call shit like Witcher 1's combat or Shadow of Mordor's combat? Morbid? Putrid? Disgusting?

hexer

If N:A has bad combat, then what do you call shit like Witcher 1's combat or Shadow of Mordor's combat? Morbid? Putrid? Disgusting?

Yes, even Witcher 3's combat looks super clunky and limited next to any other PlatinumGames' work.
If their action-combat systems are bad, then that makes the competition's systems amateurish prototypes.

Gerrard

Arcane
This game has OBJECTIVELY shallow, shitty combat. If you think otherwise you're retarded.

I tend to agree that the combat in Nier:A is not it's strongest point
Nice speech check there.

>bbbbut muh platinum
>bbbut muh yoko taro
Fanboys need to be gassed.

Last edited:

hexer

Gerrard, let's hear examples of objectively great action combat systems from your subjective perspective? :roll:

Gerrard

Arcane
I'm sure you'd come up with reasons why I'm wrong no matter what examples I give.

This game tried to be too many things with not enough time/people/money to realize it, and the result is the huge disparity in quality of various elements. Or maybe it's just the director's ego wank.
And it's 60 fucking dollars. It was never the quality of a $60 game. Definitely isn't after getting no fucking patches.

Revenant

Risen (the first one) could be presented as an example of very good action RPG combat.

Regarding NieR: Automata, I came to a conclusion that there are 2 modes this game is best experienced: either by setting the difficulty to Easy and turning Auto Chips on, which makes most battles play by themselves not having to deal with the bullshit, or man up and play on Very hard, in which case you can go full offensive and it's probably not as insane as it sounds because of unlimited dodge (during which you're invulnerable).

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Just play hard, equip defensive chips so you dont get oneshot, and spam the shit out of the instant-use and basically unlimited recovery items. It's really not rocket science. Same as talking to NPCs in an RPG to learn about the mechanics of the game shouldn't be too much to ask of players, but apparently it is.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The game has fine combat, but the enemy variety is lacking.

It's especially sad because some of the coolest designs (like emp bots), show up for like 3 fights total, whereas wavy-arms bot shows up in almost every fight in the game.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Is this supposed to be an endorsement of how good the combat is? :?
No, the opposite actually. It's design with insta-use potions that are pretty much unlimited is about as retarded as you are for not figuring out how chips work in the first 15 minutes of the game after you finished the tutorial.

But people complaining about the game being "hard" on "hard" are just as dumb, since hard is no different to normal if you aren't mentally challenged and socket atleast one or two defensive chips, at which point the game basically plays the same. That's why the tutorial on hard is actually the hardest part of the game, because you don't have the chip-system yet so you cannot make up for getting one-shot by boss abilities. Once you get access to chips, this is a non issue however, making the game significantly easier.

hexer

I'm replaying the first NieR right now on PS3 emulator.
Anyone remembers how the second playthrough begins with a 60-minute long reading of an in-game novel ? :salute:

Also dug up this cool trailer

A horse of course

I'm replaying the first NieR right now on PS3 emulator.

Huh, had no idea it was in a playable state.

Yep but I experienced 2 technical issues.
Sometimes the sound would slightly crackle and FPS go around 30-40 max.
It all depends on your rig

I put it off due to the sound issues (you can fix the sound in native/software mode but it looks like shit) and started Drakengard 2 to tread water instead. Ironically D2 still has a lot of visual problems on pcsx2 (though the sound isn't fucked like D1).

hexer

So...

Anyone tried using hacking during the end game fight?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dayyālu

Arcane
Apparently hacking A2 unlocks some weeeeird stuff, but I've never tried. A google check reveals that the madman Taro planned for it. please report.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Wonder what goodies they packed into it!

Nier: Automata Game of the YoRHa Edition on its way, according to ESRB rating

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...a-edition-on-its-way-according-to-esrb-rating
The dlc and some pointless costumes to trick people to buy it again.

Then again, it is yoko taro so I wouldn't be too surprised to learn they remade the entire last third of the game into an alternate timeline or something...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom