Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NieR: Automata from Yoko Taro and Platinum Games

Gerrard

Arcane
>complain about rolling in Witcher
>100% iframe dodge is fine because MUH PLATINUM

Fucking retards, when will they learn?

sullynathan

Arcane
So basically this should've been a visual novel.

Nah.

Even with all its gameplay flaws N:A still has one of the better action game combat systems especially if we consider the existence of those one button one brain cell abominations like in Shadows of Mordor or Witcher.
where's the meh button when you need it?

>complain about rolling in Witcher
>100% iframe dodge is fine because MUH PLATINUM

Fucking retards, when will they learn?
tbh, combat is infinitely better in every platinum game than the witcher

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
A question to all the people disagreeing with my above statement:

What other 3rd person action or action-RPG games that were released in the past 5 years (preferably on PC) can you name that have melee combat as good as or better than N:A? I'm genuinely curious.

Not counting Platinum's other games, only 3 come to my mind: Dragon's Dogma, Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne (which I haven't played but from what I've seen it looks and plays a lot like DS3).

Declinator

Arbiter
Dragon's Dogma

DD has good combat now?

Yes it does.

So can you name any games with better combat outside of the ones I mentioned released in the last 5 years?
Nioh, Monster Hunter 4, Monster Hunter Generations, Dark Souls 2, and could easily see someone picking Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance over Dragon's Dogma. Probably Bayonetta 2 if it's close enough to its predecessor but haven't played it.

I won't mention turn-based games since I assume you specifically meant real-time combat.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Dragon's Dogma

DD has good combat now?

Yes it does.

So can you name any games with better combat outside of the ones I mentioned released in the last 5 years?
Have you played any games besides DD in the last 5 years? Because I've played DD, and I've finished it. DD combat is okay, but the game is better than okay... The game is good because of the bundle of mechanics and world it brings. But it doesn't have the best combat in the last 5 years because there are better combat-focused games - and that's no knock on DD because DD isn't as combat-focused.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Dragon's Dogma

DD has good combat now?

Yes it does.

Nioh, Monster Hunter 4, Monster Hunter Generations, Dark Souls 2, and could easily see someone picking Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance over Dragon's Dogma. Probably Bayonetta 2 if it's close enough to its predecessor but haven't played it.

Of which all of DS2 and MGS: Revengeance made it to the PC. And DS2 is a part of the same series as DS3, so I wouldn't necessarily list it separately.

Haven't played MGS:R (sitting in my Steam library, maybe need to try it some day), but I'm not sure I'd say the DS series has better combat then DD. More challenging, certainly. Tighter, perhaps. But more fun/better? I'm not sure about this. I'd rate them roughly equal.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
More challenging, certainly... But more fun/better? I'm not sure about this.
Sounds like you need more hand-holding.

Anyways, extend the time range 1-2 years and you've got stuff like Bayonetta, Vanquish, 40k Space Marine :)D)...

Also there's that new game "Furi" which I need to try.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Eh, briefly tried Bayonetta. Wouldn't say it's better then Dragon's Dogma. The latter was again more fun. Perhaps I'm simply not a fan of the genre though.

Suicidal

Arcane
Dragon's Dogma

DD has good combat now?

Yes it does.

I won't mention turn-based games since I assume you specifically meant real-time combat.

I admit I haven't played Nioh or any Monster Hunter games but I disagree with Dark Souls 2 having better combat than DD or N:A. The combat in all 3 games poses roughly the same amount of challenge but DS2's combat system is much too primitive compared to DD or N:A. During the entire game I pretty much used two buttons - light attack and block (since I was playing a shield guy, if I hadn't the block button would have been replaced with the roll button for the same result). There's usually zero incentive to use more than one attack type, no combo attacks, no combat skills (something that DS3 fixed), no proper jump command, most enemies are very very slow and telegraph their attacks for a long time (to compensate, your character is very slow as well). All of this makes killing stuff in that game not as fun. Sure, DS2 wins in terms of enemy variety, but since the core combat system is not very good and the game is no more challenging than N:A or DD on hard difficulty, it's ultimately not as fun, in my opinion.

I don't want to make judgements about games I haven't played, but I saw some videos of Nioh's combat and most enemies the guy was fighting kept hitting him with the same 2-3 attacks, which looked quite monotonous, so it doesn't seem like it's better than DD or N:A, at least on first glance.

As for MGR and Bayonetta, both games have great combat and are better than N:A or DD... or 99% of other action games for that matter, that's why I asked to exclude them in my original post.

Last edited:

yellowcake

Arcane
Anybody can share endgame save file? That is, with unlocked access to chapters. Recent steam version with DLC. I finished the game late last night while drunk, got a little cavalier and decided to be a "helper".

Anyway, liked it a lot. Game mechanics, systems, balance etc. are certainly not its strengths. Characters, story, mood, art direction and music are excellent though. Chara design and animations are gorgeous. The way 2B stumbles on obstacles when running or kicks container crates with this high heeled foot of her just melts my heart. Or the way her boots, stockings and dress get dirty in desert areas. Hnnnnggg.

Appreciated Meta game stuff too. Futility of the experience. I would run this little bitch through sand dunes and ruined apartment block complexes over and over and understand why Nines would follow her (to peek at her pants leotard).

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
:5/5:

Genuine masterpiece game. PS:T's story ain't got shit on this, much less considering that Automata's true ending does metafiction that only works in a game medium, and at that is an extremely rare instance where a video game uses metafiction for a dramatic and emotional purpose rather than fourth wall humour.

Perkel

Arcane
Just finished Nier:Automata and it is :5/5: game.

Initial 5 hours was HARD for me to get into. Game at start looked like mish mash of everything i don't like. Animu characters, nonsensical mecha anime story, open world filled with fetch quests etc.

I mean without those fetch quests you would get "half" of impact from later events and quests themselves often don't actually resolve anything outright. Usually after a while you get resolve which often does not follow traditional staple.

Story wise i was prepared for for standard jrpg mumbojumbo shit but i must say it is one of best written jrpgs out there, every motive of game perfectly fits into story and elements that i found hard to swallow at start had their resolve via story itself. Like case of Yorha androids being top models in maid outfits etc.

As for themes game tries to tackle this is talk completely to not fit into minireview. It achieves what it was supposed to do aka give player a lot to think about.

Game structure also is something that needs to be said loud. Fucking 2D beat them up, 2D plane shooter in vein of 1942 and many other types of games mashed into one game and somehow it works and don't feel bad.

As for combat itself. Platinum pedigree shines here and nothing needs to be added. As for progression itself i was quite suprised how customization goes deep with its systems. You can create variety of buils to play with.

As for endings. It takes huge balls to make game this way. Most of the people would put down game after credits start to roll. Here when credits start to roll, real game begins. In fact i would say that initial playtrough is just prologue.

There is so much to digest over next few days so i can't quite share everything.

I look forward to Yoko next work.

Perkel

Arcane
Forgot to add, soundtrack is fucking excellent.
Easily one of the best OST in gaming.

It perfectly fits into themes of the game and gives that extra level of amazing on top of already amazing game.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
You know video-game awards are fucking retarded when Nier:Automata gets nominated in 3 different categories, but doesn't get a nomination for sound/audio or voiceacting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom