Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NieR: Automata from Yoko Taro and Platinum Games

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That is all Taro's influence. I do think he gets it. NieR is very self-aware and Taro was never afraid to make a bad gameplay decision to tell a story better. (Case in point: the sidequests. So meta.)

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Brother Nier was the original Nier. Papa Nier was created because the west couldn't handle playing more JRPG girlie boys.

At least they did something unique with it. There's some interesting differences between the two versions. Like the hints that Brother Nier was monetizing his pretty boy looks to feed Yonah.

Now that I've gone all more elite than thou, let me come back down to Earth...

WE'RE FINALLY GETTING THE NEW NIER GAME TARO ALWAYS WANTED AND THE FUCKING GAME PLAY MASTERS ARE MAKING IT!

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
How this is even possible

No game done by the guy had any financial success

This cannot be

I can't buy a PS4 just for this, I am a member of the PC gaming Master Race since youth

The suffering is endless, but at least I'll gain another kickass soundtrack out of this

Err, all of the drakengards and nier were only on console lol

Dayyālu

Arcane
Err, all of the drakengards and nier were only on console lol

Da, da, da. It's kind of a guilty shameful pleasure of mine. I usually find gameplay paramount, and everything else secondary. Bar for this guy, as I appreciate his originality.

All the Drakengard have shit gameplay and Nier is merely mediocre. I can't buy a console for them and Dark Souls, and I can't be bothered to emulate a shit game like Drakengard. But I do appreciate Yoko Taro's own brand of madness even on second hand. I've suffered trough Video LPs of 'em (and I hate not playing directly something) just to see what the heck would he conjure.

Call me insane for liking a series that I can't even play, but this one is weird enough to be worthy of my attention. Should I be hyped for another Bethesda brand Fallout instead?

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Yes, I find pretty much anyone who watches LP's of single player games insane to be honest.

Very rare exceptions for, say, truly lost media.

lightbane

Arcane
DRAKENGARD!!!!! I mean, fucking awesomesauce! I assume the game will be set after the last Ending, starring Kainé and Emil. Or perhaps it's set in the prelude before Nier's story. Either way... :incline:
:bounce::bounce:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I am enthusiastic about a new Nier game. About Platinum Games I don't know, I only played Bayonneta and they didn't manage to tell a story, which is normal since that is not what they intended to do. The (slow) rythm of the first game was good, I hope that we will not get a game that only tastes like a fast action game.

Wait and see.

Whisky

The Solution
I can't wait until we see what horrible thing they make the player do.

I saw D1s Simon says game and thought, they can't make something worse.

I saw how Nier forced you to delete your save file to beat the game and thought they can't make something worse.

I saw how they created a new rythm game for D3 and it was so hard I could not beat it. I thought, this is it, they can't make anything worse than this.

We will see.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Brother Nier was the original Nier. Papa Nier was created because the west couldn't handle playing more JRPG girlie boys.

At least they did something unique with it. There's some interesting differences between the two versions. Like the hints that Brother Nier was monetizing his pretty boy looks to feed Yonah.

Yeah, because anime crap doesn't sell in the west, while ugly scarred old men do (see PST). I don't' know if the developer actually commented on this, but I choose to believe that daddy Nier is what he truly envisioned and Onii-Chan Nier is what he had to do to get the green light from the Japs. :obviously:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Yeah, because anime crap doesn't sell in the west, while ugly scarred old men do (see PST). I don't' know if the developer actually commented on this, but I choose to believe that daddy Nier is what he truly envisioned and Onii-Chan Nier is what he had to do to get the green light from the Japs. :obviously:
Square Enix talked about the East/West situation and the reason was simply different audiences.

paintinggrey

Scholar
Honestly i am really surprised( and glad) that square enix decided to do a sequel to Nier. I thought the game sold pretty badly.

Good newws that Platinum games will sort out the combat in Nier which pretty much where meh apart from some of Weiss powers.

3 playable characters should interesting and one of them will be Yonah, calling it now.

Same composer as well :incline:

Last edited:

Adon

Arcane
I can't wait until we see what horrible thing they make the player do.

I saw D1s Simon says game and thought, they can't make something worse.

I saw how Nier forced you to delete your save file to beat the game and thought they can't make something worse.

I saw how they created a new rythm game for D3 and it was so hard I could not beat it. I thought, this is it, they can't make anything worse than this.

We will see.

I eagerly await this next masochistic challenge. :salute:

Just imagine, what kind of obstacle will Yoko Taro tell Platinum to put up to get to the best ending? I can only dream of endless possibilities, broken controllers, and rage-filled, tearful faces. I am excite.

Kanedias

Savant
YOKO TARO's insane stories with actually good gameplay? What the.... oh my. I'm so excited.

Lucky

Arcane
I'm curious to see if the elements that make for a good Platinum game and those that make for a good Taro game will mix, plus to what degree a game like Nier is actually thanks to Taro and how large of a part the rest of the studio played in it. It's not like he made it by himself.

If they do manage to pull it off though...

Whisky

The Solution
You can only see ending 0 if you mail your smashed PS4 to Japan

Nah, it'd be more like this:

There's only one way for everyone in the world to achieve salvation and be spared suffering. Destroy the world, flick off the power switch on the back of your PS4 and flick it back on real quick.

You'll either get Ending F, in which you'll get get a blank screen upon starting the game with New Game grayed out, or Ending G in which case you'll get "Hard drive corruption detected, a reformat is necessary."

Hobo Elf

Arcane
How is this even possible? Unless god is real and he has good taste in vidya?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom