Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News NieR: Automata Coming To PC in Early 2017

Septaryeth

Augur
According to the interview, it's the same universe but not a direct sequel. There is no "direct connection," as they put it.

Thanks for the clarification.

It still bugs me how human comes into play after the so called extinction, but I guess they'll explain that in the game.
I'm just a little bit wary at the fact they are continually using the same universe for something so...different in style.
Sure, the interview said the IP is all about mixed genre and if the story isn't directly related it shouldn't really matter, right?
But maybe at one point it's best to start over, like create another universe?

For example, the story of NieR doesn't seem to need these demonic elements or maso from Drakengard to work.
I just finished reading some stuff on NieR, and I actually quite like the ending where
the main protagonist pretty much doomed everyone by killing the last hope of humankind.
The mere facts that a sequel exists and that the main protagonist from the previous game will appear just seem a bit conflicting.
Furthermore it makes the IP more daunting to approach for potential new players like me.

But who knows? Maybe they'll surprise me. If anything it could be another alternative reality :lol:.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I love how my initial post has the same agree / disagree rate.
This clearly is a game that requires you to have a certain taste.

For me, it's simply a no-go because of the anime "everything is super exaggerated/ridiculous" stuff.
I just cannot stand that in a game for some reason (the only exception ever was Ni No Kuni, but that had horrible gameplay) even if I do watch some anime rarely - well, Studio Ghibli stuff only, pretty much.

It doesn't even matter if the gameplay was great, I just... can't.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
japanese make better action RPGs than western developers. but turn based games, western companies are miles better than JRPG, which are mostly grindy, repetitive and fairly simple. i played siablo 2, van helsing, titan's quest, they all bore me like fucking high school lecture. click this, click that, grind this, oooh! purple iteem!

repeat and rinse.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I will briefly try to explain the merit of NieR/Drakengard from my perspective.

D1:
The merit of this game are the storytelling and the characters. I cannot think of an RPG, J or not, in which pretty much the entire party are complete assholes with almost no redeeming qualities. The main character rides a man-eating dragon, but even the dragon is at times revolted by the bloodlust of her rider... you also travel with a pedophile, a little boy ( ... ), and a child-eating elf. And some other jerks. The story is completely fucked up that needs to be seen to be believed. One could argue it's "so bad it's good" but it's not really bad it's just... well, it is hard to explain. The key milestone this game did few others do is the way the game unfolds: on your first playthrough, the game is told as the story people remember after. Then, for each further ending (which require altered/extended playthroughs) the real story is revealed, and you can see how, in the retelling of the story, people white-washed the main character and glossed over his cruelties, for instance. Seeing the true stoy and true ending are a kick in the kidneys.

D2:
This game does not exist.

D3:
This is similarly fucked up. People don't like it as much as 1 but it has spectacular music.

NieR:
NieR is the most depressing game in existence, with a soundtrack considered to be, depending on who you ask, the best in all of video gaming. While that is debatable it is definitely up there. It's still a stand-out achievement: every single song is incredibly sad, but in different ways, with that faint hint of hope, that is, ultimately, snuffed out. Perfect for depressed people! The entire cast is likable, yet the story is just crushing. It's also the least anime since you play some ugly dad. Like in D1, successive endings peel off layers of the story until the whole, heart-rending truth is revealed.

As a whole:
The real appeal of these games is Yoko Taro's insane genius. The man will spit on his playerbase in order to tell a story. That's something I can admire. Imagine Hideo Kojima. But now, instead of some insane, crazy ending that has people scratching their heads, imagine if, at the ending, someone extended you a giant middle finger, then promptly punched you in the face. The man is not afraid of 'not caring.' He was jobless for a while because of this. The story is what matters to him, and telling it through gameplay mechanics in an admirable way. One example from NieR: there are all these lame, pointless side quests. The whole point is to ram down your throat how much he hates lame side quests. Or soundtrack of D1: it's nothing but a horrible cacophony meant to instill the horrors of war - and indeed, the entire game involves slaughtering thousands upon thousands of people, most of them innocent. Or the boss fights in D1/D3 which involve a complete genre change and downright blatantly deliberately unfair sequences. Or, perhaps the best thing he ever did, how reaching the last ending in NieR requires deleting your savegame for good, further rubbing in all those pointless side quests you did.

Basically, it's interesting to watch the writings of a very depressed, incredibly alcoholic madman who hates his players so much that it ends up feeling like love.

Tick Tock Crocodile

This will probably give you a good idea of whether you'll like the game or not

Ah, the evil pomegranates are back.

I'll have to make an effort to finish NieR before this arrives. The combat/tedium in places kind of wears me down, and I never play for very long. Odd, since I used to be able to push through anything at all for a good story, but that doesn't seem to be the case these days.

The things that are good are very, very good, though. It definitely doesn't pull any punches with you.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Looking forward to the PC-Release, I was actually contemplating getting a PS4 for this game (and a couple of other games of course, I am not insane)

Or, perhaps the best thing he ever did, how reaching the last ending in NieR requires deleting your savegame for good, further rubbing in all those pointless side quests you did.

It was more than that though. Since
the protagonist sacrifices himself for the final ending
which has been done countless times in other games already, Taro Yoko felt like it would be fitting to put the player through the same decision with actual real-life consequences. In this case this meant having your save-file deleted after putting in 100+ hours to do everything there was to do in the entire game. It was also in itself a futile thing to do, since after completing the game and seeing the final ending you wouldn't continue playing anyway so the deletion itself didn't really change the outcome - perfectly tying this 'decision' to the actual ending and the game-world itself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom