Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Update #84: Next Shadowrun campaign to be Kickstarted in January

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Define RPG

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Haven't you heard? It's not an RPG if you don't play a hobo who travels from town to town, slaying monsters, fetching items for people, and (in more advanced RPGs) choosing in each town whether the GOOD FACTION or the EVIL FACTION wins!

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
SRR is more in common with tactical games like SS and JA.Put against them ,or even their numerous russian clones, SRR is pathetic.What RPG elements are even decent?Branching story?Meaningful character development?Good itemization?Non-combat solutions?Deep and varied turn based combat?Some even calling it RPGOTY :dead:

GloomFrost

Arcane
I am so sorry I hurt your feelings. Please don't cry.
Why should he cry when he can just enjoy a good (but not great) game, instead?
Haven't you heard? It's not an RPG if you don't play a hobo who travels from town to town, slaying monsters, fetching items for people, and (in more advanced RPGs) choosing in each town whether the GOOD FACTION or the EVIL FACTION wins!

Obviously in "proper" RPGs like shadowrun you do not need to travel from town to town or join any factions or think about character build, hell you don't even need to think about what lines to choose in dialogues. Who the hell needs all that silly nonsense anyway when you can play as an elf who shoots fireballs!!!! RPG of the year. Actually no RPG OF A DECADE, no less.

naossano

Cipher
I am not trying to argue about it not being RPG enough. I can't even argue about not being Shadowrun enough.
All i could say is that as a game, it is good.

Last edited:

majestik12

Arcane
Sweet. More C&C and more diverse flavor choices in dialogue would be nice, but I'd back even if they choose to not expand in that direction.

eXalted

Arcane
The game not being quite an RPG doesn't prevent it from being a game itself, and a good one.
You don't have to be an RPG to be a good game.
It has always been to me something like Adventure game with strong RPG elements...whatever that means.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Have HBS hinted that they would make the game mechanics more complex? Or is it just a pure content expansion?
It's literally just a picture.

I would imagine it would be similar to Dragonfall with minor mechanical improvements, but focused on delivering another story.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am not trying to argue about it not being RPG enough. I can't even argue about not being Shadowrun enough.
All i could say is that as a game, it is good.
Exactly. Nobody states that it is a great RPG. I hope. Because it really is not. The character development is okay, but the character system itself too shallow.
And there is no real C&C.
But besides that (and being too easy on every non-hard difficulty), it is still a good game.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Wizardry is not an RPG :rpgcodex:
And now I'm going to go cry because I pity Gloomtard for being so stupid. *tearsofpity*

DeepOcean

Arcane
Great, I wish they add the Astral plane, even a simplistic version of it like they did with the Matrix on Shadowrun would be better than nothing or implement the stealth mechanics they had to ax on Shadowrun Returns. One of them or both would be great, anyway, even if they don't add new mechanics, this will be :d1p:.

Visperas

Augur
They really need to improve on what they have. Simply another campaign would be very disapointing. Also, I'm playing Dragonfall now, barely starting, but I don't see many improvements. Dialogue seems completely skippable, combat mechanics, character progression and itemization are exactly the same... Where are the improvements?

naossano

Cipher
What the astral plane would do ? Is it another kind of playground, like the Matrix.

I enjoyed a lot the matrix, especially in the APEX mission. It really bring the turn-based gameplay to a whole new dimension.
It really feel like many important things are happening at the same time, which increase the tension.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Great, I wish they add the Astral plane, even a simplistic version of it like they did with the Matrix on Shadowrun would be better than nothing

Yeah, I would think this would now be do-able in this new upcoming game, since I'd assume they will be using the same engine and could then incorporate that. I too would love to see that added.

eXalted

Arcane
Yeah, I would think this would now be do-able in this new upcoming game, since I'd assume they will be using the same engine and could then incorporate that. I too would love to see that added.

Weren't they advertising Shadowrun Returns with this? I remember reading something in the Kickstarter like "every character type can see the world in a different way".

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
They really need to improve on what they have. Simply another campaign would be very disapointing. Also, I'm playing Dragonfall now, barely starting, but I don't see many improvements. Dialogue seems completely skippable, combat mechanics, character progression and itemization are exactly the same... Where are the improvements?
Director's Cut or not?

Also :d1p: hopefully we'll get both stealth mechanics and Astral Plane. And some tweaks/adjustments that move the game more towards JA2.

Zetor

Arcane
Great news... I'm really interested to hear what they're planning to do with the engine. Dragonfall DC is pretty much stretching the limits of what you can reasonably accomplish with it, and the limitations have to be pretty glaring at this point. On the flipside, major engine rewrites would break compatibility with UGC, so who knows.

Either way, d1p for me!

Visperas

Augur
Yeah, it's the Director's Cut and I've noticed minor improvements in combat mechanics like UI showing total armor and stuff but, well, I expected more. A lot of people here is saying that Dragonfall is a lot better than the previous one and I'm not seeing it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, it's the Director's Cut and I've noticed minor improvements in combat mechanics like UI showing total armor and stuff but, well, I expected more. A lot of people here is saying that Dragonfall is a lot better than the previous one and I'm not seeing it.

It's about the area design and quest design.

Visperas

Augur

It's about the area design and quest design.

Yes, I'm starting to see that. The upgrade in combat mechanics (cover included) are also nice. I'm just craving for a proper inventory and item management, stealth and other things still lacking. I hope they'll be adding those features in the next one. I don't know if I'll finish it 'casue Dead State and Neo Scavenger are in queue and I feel like I've already played this game, but it's ok.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom