Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Update #84: Next Shadowrun campaign to be Kickstarted in January

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Harebrained Schemes; Shadowrun Returns; Shadowrun: Hong Kong

The Codex has known for a while now that a new Shadowrun campaign from Harebrained Schemes was probably on its way. Today, they've released the first public-facing confirmation of that, in this very brief Kickstarter update:

That's right, they're going back to Kickstarter. Guess that can tell you something about how Dragonfall and its Director's Cut did. Meanwhile, a look at HBS's Job Openings page reveals that the contract for one of the new campaign's "content designer" positions runs until the end of July, which might give us a clue when it'll be released. Let's hope it all works out.

UPDATE: Newly registered Codexer Blackstaff noticed that the filename of the image on the official Shadowrun Returns site is HK-KS-Teaser.png. HK...Hong Kong. Hong Kong was the (very close) runner-up in the "second city poll" that determined the setting of what eventually became Shadowrun: Dragonfall. I guess we probably know what the setting of the new campaign is going to be now.

Blackstaff

Arbiter
Not sure that you can say from this kickstarter that Dragonfall did bad. After all, they need the money to finance their Necropolis project. So I guess that they thought it was easier to kickstart Shadowrun again, and to inject their profit in Necropolis.

What I really hope is that they will be ambitious on this KS : introduce the astral plane in the game engine, more interactivity with the map, destructible environnement,... Just not the next campaign...

Whatever it's going to be, it's:d1p: for me.

set

Cipher
I don't know if you can determine the success of the previous ShadowRun game by this. I mean, KS is stressful, but it pretty much is "free money". Sure, a lot of people will buy your game at $15 which might seem like a "lost customer" once you release your pdocut, but that's more than you'll make on Steam after 3 months. And a lot of people will spend $100 for your silly bonus shit.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Finally, a kick-starter worth backing. No pies in the sky, they delivered with Dragonfall DC. Let's hope they make character stats and skills more interesting though, there's just not enough depth and variety. Oh and an actual hard mode would be great. Oh and matrix that doesn't suck.

:takemyjewgold:

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

Instant backing from me if it another RPG along the veins of Dragonfall.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Great news, as Dragonfall was one of my favorite rpg's this year. That being said, i cant help but feel that unless they retool their engine with extensive support for a more persistent world design, the new campaign will just feel like more of the same.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Day one backing for me, barring some horrible and unforseen dumbing down.

Wizfall

Cipher
:yeah:

Instant backing here too except if not turn based.
I really hope they will still be using the same engine as it was a 10/10 for me.
Just need to improve a little bit more the mechanics (which have become in Dragonfall surprisingly truly good despite their apparent simplicity) and give more room for exploration (the main weakness of the game, almost nothing "secret" to discover).

I personally liked much more the ambiance/scenario (except the last quarter) of the first campaign.
Dragonfall was better overall though because of the bigger maps, much less linearity, longer campaign and much improved mechanics.

Even if nothing is improved i will gladly pledge just for a new scenario.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
I still haven't gotten that far in Dragonfall...even after buying it again on my iPad. it's a little too janky and samey for me, still kind of buggy, still kind of messy. even in the director's cut I was sniping guys from max range who just didn't react, or killing motherfuckers by having my rigger's drone jump out of a vent (0 AP), fire once and then hide in the vent again. dude was powerless to do anything about it. that's the kind of thing I can see myself doing in every combat, because unhhh I wanna spend all my points on charismaaa. and enemies are still completely incapable of dealing with overwatch ambush that blasts them out of their shoes one by one as they round corners. hard to get invested when that's the way I feel like I "should" be playing combat.

but I -do- like it abstractly and I do like what they do. they'll have my $15, for sure.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Day one backing here for me too, Shadowrun Returns is probably the computer game KS that has delivered the most value of those I've backed so far.

:takemymoney:

I'd hoped that they would make enough money selling SRR that they could fund the next game out of pocket though, so seems like sales could have been better.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Will Kickstart but I hope their "boxed copy" (if they even offer one) is of better quality than the first one. I don't mind the $150 tier level (the 1st KS box level was $100) as long as they put some effort into it... and get it out faster!! I mean, really, the Xulima guys are about to ship out their physical items yet "bigger" players like InXile and HB take months and months after release...?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was happy with what I got for my $15 so I will back again.

Starwars

Arcane
Will definitely back this if they want to keep up the quality of Dragonfall.

I kinda wonder how much they'll ask for though, especially if they keep the same engine. Will be exciting to see what their plans are.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't mind if they ask for more if we get a bigger campaign. It doesn't have to be 80 hours, but I would mind a 40 hour game.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Awesome, I liked SRR and thought Dragonfall was amazing. Always loved the setting.

One thing I would like to see in the future would be a more open approach to runs, like diverging paths and different outcomes depending on certain decisions. I wish they had some kind of planning mechanic, since planning a run was always half the fun in the P&P. I wouldn't even mind if they simply did it choose your own adventure style ("Do you want Eiger to take sniping position or drive the car?" Stuff like that). The runs in the other games allowed for only very minor decisons ("combatfags please enter through the main gate, all others please hack the little terminal in the side alley"). It was better than nothing but there is certainly some room for improvement. I also wish they would find some more interesting things that you could actually do with hacking but I know that is easier said than done, can't think of anything from the top of the head myself but I always thought the hacking thing was kinda underused.

eXalted

Arcane
Let's hope they make character stats and skills more interesting though, there's just not enough depth and variety. Oh and an actual hard mode would be great. Oh and matrix that doesn't suck.
Dragonfall was superb. I hope that by using Kickstarter they are not going to release only a campaign but implement a lot of additions. I really want to see more skills and matrix with a lot more enemy types and tactics, the current one just looks rushed.

One thing I would like to see in the future would be a more open approach to runs, like diverging paths and different outcomes depending on certain decisions. I wish they had some kind of planning mechanic, since planning a run was always half the fun in the P&P. I wouldn't even mind if they simply did it choose your own adventure style ("Do you want Eiger to take sniping position or drive the car?" Stuff like that).

This too, I was thinking of such idea for a UGC of mine.

And yes - day one backing, of course! :happytrollboy:

Drowed

Arcane
SRR was okay, I guess. Dragonfall on the other hand was really good. With a little more effort, broadening and deepening the gameplay a bit and expanding the game world with more content, it could have been amazing. So yes, I will give support to any kickstarter made by Harebrained Schemes. With Dragonfall, they already have the "base" of a good game. Creating a good story with good reactivity, and with well constructed battles encounters... There's not much more I can ask for.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Give us the same level of quality as the the DF: DC campaign and add in a real inventory with the ability for non-PC runners to loot containers and easily swap gear, and it would be amazing. For a bonus, give us absolute control over the skill progression of our runners, or at least coarse control over NPC progression like in the Director's Cut.

edit: oh, and reduce the number of etiquettes so that they have a greater impact.

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Originally, I backed SRR for 15$ (10.5 €) : got two campaigns and a Director's Cut which, each time, improved on the previous iteration. I think HBS deserves (much) more moneyz from me...

:takemymoney:

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Yeah street and gang and shadowrunner should be merged ("shadowrunner"?) and socialite and academic ("intellectual"?).

Leave corporate and security for a total of 4. Maybe juggle the charisma levels a bit.

Deleted member 7219

Originally, I backed SRR for 15$ (10.5 €) : got two campaigns and a Director's Cut which, each time, improved on the previous iteration. I think HBS deserves (much) more moneyz from me...

Same here. HRR are true bros for giving out Dragonfall and the DC to backers for free.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom