Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

News at 11, Grimoire is dead

denizsi

Arcane
Just imagine how long his bunker will take, probably not gonna make it to the ITZ.

In fact, I read somewhere that he was considering starting over with another design. Apparently he considered using containers at some recent point but quickly found out against it.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
MisterStone said:
ghostdog said:
All this talk about Grimoire being dead is bullshit. They just finished their gamma stage testing and they're about to begin the delta phase.

Yeah, I was wondering... did Cleve invent the term "gamma testing"? Most products only need a beta testing amirite?

If it's being done right, then a beta testing phase should be the last phase needed.

However, publishers and developers seem to have struck upon the idea that consumers are willing to pay for incomplete and unfinished products, and thus the "gamma testing" is born - it begins the day the title is available for purchase.

SkeleTony

Augur
Crooked Bee said:
This screenshot makes me all bouncey.

gpc.png

:bounce:

I hope this game exists. :smug:

Ignoring for the moment how crappy this shit from Mr. 'All non-whites are mud-people', I must ask:

Axes & Scimitar...is one skill?! I can buy maces & hammers but axes and scimitar(and is the plural form of "scimitar" really without an ''s on the end?)?! That strikes me as...well, stupid.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
MisterStone said:
Yeah, I was wondering... did Cleve invent the term "gamma testing"?
I would only start worrying when he reaches omega.

Nickless

Educated
SkeleTony said:
Ignoring for the moment how crappy this shit from Mr. 'All non-whites are mud-people', I must ask:

Axes & Scimitar...is one skill?! I can buy maces & hammers but axes and scimitar(and is the plural form of "scimitar" really without an ''s on the end?)?! That strikes me as...well, stupid.

Both are (usually) single-edged swinging weapons so combat maneuvers would be similar (Although parrying would be completely different). I wouldn't have joined them together, but I can understand why he did it.

MisterStone

Arcane
Yeah, they're both swung edged weapons that use a hatchet point contour, I imagine that was the reasoning. Of course, a scimitar can make draw cuts, and an axe probably not, so it's not really a good grouping.

DraQ

Arcane
MisterStone said:
Of course, a scimitar can make draw cuts, and an axe probably not, so it's not really a good grouping.
This. They work differently, are balanced differently (AFAIK), and generally have nothing in common apart from curvy outline I guess.

This makes even less sense than anything bethesda has ever botched.
:x

MisterStone

Arcane
Sorry Cleve, you're going to have to redo the skill system now. Someone go to the GS forums and tell him.

CrimHead

Scholar
Isn't it funny how the world's most intelligent being is only creative enough to create a clone of an ancient RPG series?

Take a walk, Ripoff.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Xor said:
Looks like a ripoff of Wizardry 8 :smug:
You take that back.
Cleve Blakemore said:
Grimoire is going to be released this year. It may not seem like it right now but it is happening.

I had a look at the preview of Bradley's Wizards and Warriors at Activision now. It simply looks awesome, the best RPG I have seen in production since Lands of Lore (the first one). I am not trying to compete with Bradley but I am competing with Sir-Tech for certain. I think Sir-Tech is trying desperately to get Wiz 8 out this year and they have even less resources at hand than I do they have so depleted themselves. I bet that I am doing better at this point than Ontario and probably have something closer to a release candidate than those evil Canadians. You gotta admit, this is getting to be high satire ala Doctor Strangelove, with all three development teams (if you call me and Shams a team) trying to close and ship their products this year and everybody staggering to the finish line spitting up blood. Even D.W. has had a rough row trying to find somebody with the brains to publish his sure-fire hit.

We're all Wizardry-style spinoffs or clones and everybody involved is reaching for that market share of the turn-based RPG genre. You've got the complete losers at Hurl-Dreck fielding their money-pit nightmare, against their former employee (most brilliant RPG games designer in the industry) ... and bringing up the rear, the original dark horse - me! It is funny and kind of exciting watching to see who publishes the best game. You've got treachery, lust, betrayal, cross-dressers, revenge, ambition, colorful characters and a final showdown ... this stuff is rich soap opera drama, let's face it. I notice that no enterprising journalist has yet caught the vibe and foreseen what an incredibly interesting deathmatch is emerging here.

I still believe that Grimoire is going to be a better turn-based RPG than Wizardry 8 and much more satisfying all around. Even if I only sell ten copies, just knowing I put together a better game than Sir-Tech is going to make my millennium.

The razor is at the bone now. I've spent 5 years of my life hacking at this crazy game. Luckily for me I am actually stronger and better off than when I started because my fortunes have really soared in the local consulting industry in Australia. Everything I have touched has turned to gold since I left Sir-Tech software in 1994. At this point it is all about pride, payback and artistic excellence for me. Grimoire will be the best thing I have ever written out of the 200+ games I have authored since 1981.
Note how his prediction about Bradley and Wizards and Warriors hit the usual mark. Good old Cleve. :love:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Amazing. He posted this more than 10 years ago... and he hasn't changed a bit since. Simply amazing.

Also, notice how he cleverly did NOT mention which millenium he was referring to :smug:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh, I had forgotten that Grimoire has been in production longer than DNF.

Cenobyte

Prophet
Xor said:
Looks like a ripoff of Wizardry 8 :smug:

Not really. And even if this would be the case, it would be a good thing, considering that the Wizardry series is arguably the epitome of the cRPG genre.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
High class lulz in that quote. Maybe when Grimoire is released (or the second demo comes out :trollface:) we can have a little retrospective of the best quotes over the years.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
SkeleTony said:
I'm reading Axe & Scimitar, which is singular in *Axe* as well as *Scimitar*.

Pablosdog

Prophet
I'm still gonna get grimoire, regardless if Cleve has ignored me or not.

MisterStone

Arcane
I'll buy it if it is any good. I kind of hate to send money to a hatefull old crackpot like Cleve, but its not so bad if you imagine it as a contribution to the Australian construction sector. :smug:

SkeleTony

Augur
VentilatorOfDoom said:
SkeleTony said:
I'm reading Axe & Scimitar, which is singular in *Axe* as well as *Scimitar*.

Right you are. Was kind of wonky that he has no spaces between the words 'Axe/hammer', the '&' and the words 'Scimitar/Mace' so I 'mis-perceived' an extra 's' I guess.
Still a pretty stupid grouping of two completely different skills. A scimitar swings NOTHING like an axe. Different grip/pommel/hilt, different weight, different types of 'swing' and a scimitar CAN be thrust and used to effectively parry.

Mortmal

Arcane
Exactly, the pairing is really weird, especially when you read a separate blademanship skill under, i think scimitar qualify as blade :
simon_scimthieves.jpg

Scimitar and falchions eventually , not that bad pairing is not unusual in rpgs, i often see daggers and rapiers under the same light weapon skill too, or axe/hammer .However you would have expected in a superior neanderthal game a superior skill list .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom