Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Newcomer - Serious Incline for the C64

hrose

Educated
I'm trying to play the old version since there's no hope to see the new one.

I'm currently enraged at the emulators. I can't make CCS64 work. And VICE gives me a dumb menu-driven UI.

Is there any way to:
- Load all the disks on different drives so that I don't have to swap CONSTANTLY?
- Is there a way to swap these disks that isn't horribly frustrating and requiring multiple keypress to navigate through a bunch of menus EVERY SINGLE TIME?
- Isn't there a goddamn key toggle for warp speed or I really have to go through the dumb menu every time?

Grim Monk

Arcane
Okay, after 8 months of silence the gentleman at Protovision have decided that it's time to actually tell us why we're not already playing the game...

We receive dozens of requests for Ultimate Newcomer every month and we apologize for it taking so long, but hey - it is meant to be Ultimate.

At the start of this year, during what we thought were final tests before releasing the game, another issue was discovered: retreating from some of the many combat situations resulted in seemingly random errors, ranging from minor story or area glitches to full game crashes. Unfortunately, to fix all occurences of this combat reatreat bug, ALL SCRIPTS for EVERY COMBAT SITUATION must be verified manually, and then retested during gameplay. As well, the game features multiple variations for most combat situations (non-hostile -> combat, already hostile -> combat, or stronger/weaker variations depending on specific factors), which further complicates the testing. By now, 269 out of 386 potential instances have been verified. With such a complex, non-linear game as Newcomer, thorough testing is difficult to say the least, and the obsession with fixing every potential bug before the release is an attitude that other game developers simply can't afford and which makes this project truly special...

However, work is ongoing and all we can do is wait patiently, keep thumbs and express our respect to the guys in Cinematic Intuitive Dynamix and Soci/Singular who are making Ultimate Newcomer possible - with a tiny bit of support from Protovision.

Please understand that a hobby project, especially a huge one like Ultimate Newcomer, takes its time and cannot be hurried.
Stay tuned. We will keep you updated through the Newsletter.

From their Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/protovision64

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom