Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News New Writer Joins Wasteland 2 Team

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: InXile Entertainment; Wasteland 2

And the writer in question is one Patrick McLean, according to Brian Fargo's Twitter:

I'm proud to announce that the talented and slightly twisted writer Patrick Mclean has joined the writing team.​

To learn more about Patrick, visit his official page. Twistedness ahoy?

Hell yeah newsworthy news!

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
If you like Terry Pratchett or Douglas Adams, you’ll probably like How to Succeed in Evil.
I would probably take that comparison with a bucket of salt.

How many writers are they now? He might want to look into hiring people who will actually implement all this shit.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
I'd be more excited if he'd hired a good writer that has some experience working on games, crpgs specifically. Jaesun mentioned Ziets, definitely been a better choice. I know nothing about this guy, but his page made no mention of having written for video games.

And yeah, hopefully this is the full writing team, keep it small. Easier for them to communicate and keep things consistent.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you like Terry Pratchett or Douglas Adams, you’ll probably like How to Succeed in Evil.
I would probably take that comparison with a bucket of salt.
This. I highly doubt he is on Pratchett/Adams level. If he was, InXile would probably not be able to afford to hire him.

The problem being that Pratchett and Adams are not good writers neither. I'm not talking about Dostoievski level writing. Even in fantasy you have better writers who are not like ohoho the dolphins are gone, thanks for the fish lollollolollol, that's not funny, that's just dumb.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The problem being that Pratchett and Adams are not good writers neither. I'm not talking about Dostoievski level writing. Even in fantasy you have better writers who are not like ohoho the dolphins are gone, thanks for the fish lollollolollol, that's not funny, that's just dumb.

:roll: Thank goodness we have the the talents of a Star Wars expanded universe novelist and a comic book writer to make up for the shittiness of a Pratchett or an Adams.

Yes I know, it's not better. Well, the Wasteland universe is quite cheesy so I guess it would fit. But humor is not really what I remember from Wasteland, I'd rather have some FO:NV kind of writing: pretty serious with the odd funny. And if Fargo wants funny, he should rather hire the TV british team from ITT Crowd/Mighty Boosh/Garth Marenghi, not some sub-par plagiarist of two sub-par Monty Python plagiarists.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Yes I know, it's not better. Well, the Wasteland universe is quite cheesy so I guess it would fit. But humor is not really what I remember from Wasteland, I'd rather have some FO:NV kind of writing: pretty serious with the odd funny. And if Fargo wants funny, he should rather hire the TV british team from ITT Crowd/Mighty Boosh/Garth Marenghi, not some sub-par plagiarist of two sub-par Monty Python plagiarists.

:hmmm:

The problem being that I'm pretty sure that when doing the original Wasteland they were being serious with the Sleeper Base and the Cult of the Atom Bomb. And then one of the designer went: let's go silly a bit and go for a rabbit-master who likes giant critters and vegetables. And they went: yeah, cool. What I fear is that they'll go: Ha ha ha, the original was so tongue-in-cheek (which it was not) and go: We had a rabbit-master now we'll have a sharktopus-master on the ruins of Cancun with zombie babes, get it, get it (wink, wink)?

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
@beutifulClownPainting

Stop your storyfaggotry... you should die...DO YOU WANT TO DIE!

The important thing is that we seem to have writers that write varied and fantastical...and lots of it...LOTS OF ENCOUNTERS and QUESTS!

And no overbearing story line that takes itself to seriously, if you buy games..expective litterature above junk fantasy level...:fight:

Sorry just sick of the "good writing!" choir everybody screams about nowadays....Bioware did GOOD writing...NO REALLY...YOU WANTED A STORY they gave you a STORY.

There is no "good writing" its "avoiding over writing".

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
The problem being that I'm pretty sure that when doing the original Wasteland they were being serious with the Sleeper Base and the Cult of the Atom Bomb. And then one of the designer went: let's go silly a bit and go for a rabbit-master who likes giant critters and vegetables. And they went: yeah, cool. What I fear is that they'll go: Ha ha ha, the original was so tongue-in-cheek (which it was not) and go: We had a rabbit-master now we'll have a sharktopus-master on the ruins of Cancun with zombie babes, get it, get it (wink, wink)?
Brian Fargo has said before that Wasteland 2 won't be as out-there as Wasteland 1 and will take itself more seriously. But he also said it's not going to be as serious and grimdark as something like Fallout.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
1) Does he have any experience with rpgs or even narrative-oriented games

2) What is his level of involvement, is he there for say fleshing out the areas or making characters

I have 15 US dollars worth of shares in this enterprise and I will have my concerns heard

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom