Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline New version on Dwarf fortress releasing in 52 hours. 40.3x ?

Perkel

Arcane
https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/3uoliw/bay_12_twitter_62_hours_left/

Ok after almost a year after last update Toady is almost releasing new version of DF. So what the hell it is about this time ?

- changes to dwarf mentality (dwarves for example can be complete drunks passing out from to much booze)
- dwarves now can write books trying to figure out what would happen if something would happen differently (lol what ? skynet incoming?). Like what would happen if xxx urist would live. Or war with Elves would took different turn.
- dwarves can now create music, poems, songs, dances, history books (false ones too)
- dwarves can create games now and play them (in future update you will be able to play them personally lol) with people and guests.
- dwarves can now play instruments, learn how to dance, join people dancing
- innovation system, dwarves can learn and follow stuff they invent, share that knowledge with students and so on. Thanks to this systems songs, dances and other stuff can spread around the world. Also Theorem about is it good to sleep earlier could also spread along many other weird stuff.
- books and scrolls (to write above stuff by dwarves)
- proper taverns. It will be created like hospitals (via zone)
- outsiders can now visit your fort. From bandits, mercenaries to dance troupes, bards and so on.
- outsiders now can join your fort from mercenaries to just normal folk
- all clunk you produced earlier that didn't have purpose other than trade like mugs, instruments etc will be used now by dwarves in tavern providing fun
- toys will be used by children
- temples in world where player can pry to and desecrate.
- you adventurer actually now has personality and you can ask him why he cries a lot (express emotion option). You can now fix you depressed adventurer by giving him lot of booze he likes

Ok so what is the fuss about this update compared to other ones ?

Simply put dwarves will be writting down their history and people can't wait to read what those creepy fuck will write down. Artifacts descriptions are one of the most beloved feature about DF since they describe sometimes life in fort in bizarre way often mentioning things that happened.

cuts from Toady working on update:

"Made yak leather trousers for a resident king cobra man mercenary today. Guess they have one leg, but all similar-sized folk can wear them."
"Latest test: press button that turns all the dwarves into children. Everybody runs for the toys, plays make believe and sings songs."
"Toys added November 9th, 2004. Children able to play with toys September 30, 2015."
"A goblin dancer keeps having flashbacks to the Dark Tower. Invited with troupe to perform for fort, beats "invading" tavern keeper to death."
"That hamster man sure can't hold his liquor."
"You can finally figure out why your adventurer is crying with the "Express your emotions" option."
"This horse has no fingers, so why is it a novice stringed instrumentalist..."
"A visiting human warrior and a goblin tavern guest settled a dispute for good outside the fortress. Looks like we need to call the sheriff!"

Next update:

Next update will be small one but almost as important as above one.

Non-player Artifacts

• World Generation
    • Have artifacts that are made during world generation from a variety of sources
    • Some historical events during world gen to get artifacts passed around (stolen, offered, etc.)
  • In Play
    • Villains etc. should seek to steal artifacts still possessed by active entities, generalizing the theft "armies" that currently move over the map to your fortress
    • Anybody attempting to acquire an artifact might entrust you with this task, providing you with information, support for the journey, and rewards for your service

Currently all artifacts are only Dwarf Fortress made. With this update some Demon who run away from hell could possibly became smith and make some demon sword which will curse you upon use and so on.
This update will also be as rework of artifacts (mentioned by Toady in one of his interviews) so artifacts now will be probably something more that just better version of masterwork items.

After that he will do THE UPDATE. It will be one of the biggest and most gamechanging updates every in history of DF if not the most gamechanging update ever to DF.

Fortress Starting Scenarios

• Framework
    • Expand framework of law, custom, rights, property and status as needed to provide a variety of scenarios
    • Foundation of laws, both natural and supernatural
    • Explicit standing of different citizens vs. civilization authorities
    • Possible expansion of religious and family concepts to provide sufficient scenarios
  • Starting scenarios
    • Various possiblities that guide or govern fortress activity: frontier settlement, religious site, prison colony, mining company, military citadel, roadside inn, secondary/future palace of the monarch
    • Drastic changes to migrants based on starting scenario
    • Caravans/diplomatic relationships based on starting scenario
    • Reclaim mechanics should be folded into this
    • Generalize starting scenario relationships to every site foundation
  • Hill/deep dwarves
    • Ability to bring extra dwarves appropriate to the starting scenario
    • Entity populations surrounding your fortress in appropriate environments, both above and below ground
    • Ability to move dwarves in and out of surroundings
    • Relationship with surrounding dwarves
    • Ability to trade/demand food in depot or similar place with surrounding dwarves

Unfortunetely above update will take a while. HE did some work already when he was doing recent update but we are looking here at half a year minimum. Imo year time. BUT this will change DF completely as you will no longer start game in dwarf fortress mode but as creating some goal at start (like creation of temple or fort or inn etc) and trying to follow that. Due to that starting stuff some parts of your technology will be restricted or you will need to put different aproach completely to other things than in DF mode.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
So, another year for a gameplay update? I like all the silly details like engravings, dwarf thoughts etc. but they certainly shouldn't be all there is in a yearly update :(

Perkel

Arcane
So, another year for a gameplay update? I like all the silly details like engravings, dwarf thoughts etc. but they certainly shouldn't be all there is in a yearly update :(

I think i will need to translate to you what those above mean from gameplay perspective:

- outsiders visiting your fort. Bad and good ones. From bandits to merchants mercenaries and so on.
Tavern brawls, crime, murders, lynching and so on will ensue.
- You can take some of those outsiders into your fort.
above x 2. Elite king guard made out of elephant men anyone ?
- technology and stuff can now spread. So if for example your civilization doesn't have black bronze production now chance is some human outsider will be able to share that tech with your fort.
- use for almost all useless trade goods you produced
- paper, books, scrolls. New chain of production
- what could happen if in your fort idea that human meat is delicious would spread via some scholar and next time human carravan would arrive ?

Perkel

Arcane
Considering that each major update breaks the game in new and unintuitive ways, and you have to wait for the 3rd party tools to catch up (dfhack, therapist etc), I would consider it February before you can play the fortress visitors update and 2017 before you can really play the new DF 2016.

nah. This isn't like previos update which was basically total rework of fundamental parts of game (world activation). I assume that in week time you will have proper DFhack + themes to play with with proper starter pack at end of second week.

But yeah playing DF without DFhack or Starter pack with some plugins is hard as QoL changes in DFhack are huge. Just proper search feature is stuff that quickens whole UI by several factors. Creating custom stockpiles without DFhack is also shit.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Where is my working hospital? Back to the 2D version...

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Where is my working hospital? Back to the 2D version...
?

Hospitals are fine in df2014

Aren't there still issues with how hospital supplies are stored? You can't have too much of item X or you won't store item Y because it will fill to capacity with X and X alone.
?? You can customize as you want hospitals. They can store shitload of things or nothing if you want.

Default hospital settings are something like 5 cloth 5 thread 3 buckets crutches and other stuf.

Those 5 cloth and thread will last for 20-30 heavily wounded dwarves.

But you need clean water acces or they won't operate

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
?? You can customize as you want hospitals. They can store shitload of
Yup, I know, I tinkered with them. I set it for 5 threads, for example, and Urists bring me half of my textile storage. Toady wrote that fixed that bug, but new (from 2014, I think) version had it too!
I should have a save, but can't remember where. It's on disconnected HDD somewhere...

Incantatar

Cipher
DFHack fixes the hospital stock bug. You really should use DFHack and learn about it. It's essential imo.

asfasdf

robot
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Another issue with container hauling are the heavy bins. Dwarf will haul overloaded lead bin to get a single item all the way across the map, taking forever.

Dwarves will also pick the current nearest item to do a job, instead of the item closest to the workshop. That means hauling heavy ore all across the map, instead of picking the one on the stockpile just beside the forge.

Perkel

Arcane
What about the container-hauling issue? The one where jobs get interrupted because the item that is needed is in a container that is being hauled with the hauler to pick up a new item (instead of taking the item to the container in the stockpile). Or more generally about stockpiles with containers behaving differently from stockpiles without in terms of hauling job generation?

Yes, dfhack is essential. So is remembering 20+ dfhack patch commands that aren't very well documented, might change from version to version...

Fixed. Also dwarves no longer haul whole barrel to pick up one item. Dwarves now pick up few things (like plants) and take all of them to barrel. Same with bins and sacks.

Another issue with container hauling are the heavy bins. Dwarf will haul overloaded lead bin to get a single item all the way across the map, taking forever.

Dwarves will also pick the current nearest item to do a job, instead of the item closest to the workshop. That means hauling heavy ore all across the map, instead of picking the one on the stockpile just beside the forge.

answered above.

Perkel

Arcane
Dwarves will also pick the current nearest item to do a job, instead of the item closest to the workshop.

answered above.

Just to clarify, this distance/priority issue has been resolved?

yes

ALSO 0.42.01 Release

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/?20151201#2015-12-01

Here is the new version we've been working on all year! The flow of fortress life is quite a bit different now -- specific breaks and parties have been replaced by taverns and performances and needs and inebriation. You can designate a tavern, temple or library from a meeting area zone, bedroom or dining room using the new Assign Location option. The location list ('l') will let you know what sort of furniture and items you need, and you can set tavern keepers, scribes and other occupations there as well. You'll need to set up a drink stockpile and a chest for goblets in taverns for drink service to work properly, but dwarves can still drink without a tavern as before. You can assign multiple rooms/zones to a single location. There's a lot more -- see the feature list below.

The bug fix list below is partial. Large chunks of the game were changed, which has a way of making old bugs go away while bringing in new ones to take their place. We'll be focusing on bugs old and new in subsequent releases, starting with crashing saves and moving down the list. The next set of bug-fix releases will be measured on a scale of days and weeks rather than months, as usual.

New stuff
  • Ability to designate taverns, temples and libraries in the fortress
  • Taverns and libraries also exist in adventure mode and world generation
  • Tavern keepers can serve drinks in both modes, goblets can be used by dwarves to drink (in taverns or otherwise)
  • Performances include stories, poetry, music and dance (you can view activity descriptions from the unit/job list)
  • Art forms are randomly generated for each civilization
  • Instruments are now all generated, instruments can be used in both modes
  • Most instruments are constructed from multiple pieces using different materials
  • Personalities and values lead to needs which can be met by various actions in both modes
  • The fort has visitors, residency petitions and eventual citizenship, including non-dwarves
  • Tavern visitors include mercenaries, monster slayers, bandits, diplomats and performers
  • Can set details for clothing/armor jobs to make them for other races that can equip items
  • Monster slayers can petition your fortress to go down and fight monsters once you discover the underground
  • Performance troupes are active in world generation and into play, visiting the fort, can be formed in adventure mode
  • New knowledge system divided into nine branches (though it has very few practical effects so far)
  • Fortress scholars can advance knowledge, form master-apprentice relationships and write down their findings
  • Fortress scribes can copy works in your library
  • Scholars can visit your fortress libraries, bringing knowledge from around the world
  • Devoted historical figures can visit your fortress temples
  • Three forms of writing material: papyrus sheets, paper sheets and parchment sheets
  • Papyrus sheets are made directly from the plant at the farmer's workshop
  • Paper is made from pressed slurries (start at the quern/mill, then go to a screw press)
  • Parchment is made from hide and milk of lime at the tanner's (bake quicklime at a kiln, then make milk of lime at an ashery)
  • Sheets are used to make quires or with rollers to make scrolls -- these are then used for writing
  • Quires can be bound into codices with bindings after they contain writing
  • Dwarves read books in the library (they don't need to be scholars)
  • Values can be passed in writing (both modes) and through adventure mode arguments (uses some conversation skills)
  • Animal people are playable as adventurers, arrive as fort visitors and sometimes live in towns in (playable) populations
  • Children play with toys now, and they can also play make believe, in both modes
  • Personality can be customized/randomized in adventure mode, appearance can be randomized as well
  • Temples can be defiled in both modes, dwarf temples can be assigned to particular gods
  • Adventurer can rent rooms in inns
  • Adventurers can compose new poems, music and dances
  • Adventurers can write material down on empty quires or scrolls
  • Alcohol causes inebriation, erratic behavior, unconsciousness, death
  • Festivals occur in world generation, though we haven't gotten them out of there yet
  • Dwarves will wear trinkets again

Major bug fixes
  • Fixed some army pathing issues
  • Goblins have mounts again
  • Fixed long-standing flow bug with unit occupancy
  • Stopped some issues with brawls escalating to non-lethal

Other bug fixes/tweaks
  • Looking at reaction screen for redded-out reactions in workshop will indicate missing reagents now
  • Fixed inversion problem with half of the child/parent conversation thoughts
  • Lots of historical figures that weren't around from the beginning didn't have deities when they were supposed to
  • Allowed site finder to look for 1x1 sites
  • Human civilizations now have randomized values
  • Added ability to set invasion wave cap size

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Hospital at first glance restocks fine.
Library and taverns are very, very interesting buildings, need tinker with them more.
Just got visiting scholar with her own book. My own scholar started to dabble in astronomy and wrote book too.

Generated musical instruments is pure, unadulterated autism. I like assembling them, for sure, but when I read description of whatchacallit with stone body, 89 strings and ceramic keyboard, I want to facepalm. History of music already has shitton of interesting instruments without inventing new ones.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Chances of ore generation is really slim now (since older 28.x 3D versions that I mostly played). Caverns seem more abundant, though.
My fortress got shitton of silver and several tiles of lead, but no other metals. That scholarly dumbfuck after writing (or maybe getting it by other means) astronomy book, pondered Crystal Lens several seasons in vain. I even got him study buddy to discuss it. Found cavern, got several strange moods that were easily fulfilled (change from older versions too). Not a one visiting scholar since first one. After exploring cavern system (and running from troll), digging to magma sea and finally finding source of fresh water for my hospital, map was river-free, but had very small aquifer, assembling inane music tools and doing other shit, I generated new world.
Population cap 20, like I love.
Looked only for big number of neighbors, metals and flux, so scorched wasteland without any trees was big surprise. I disassembled wagon and started to drag everything under ground. Then it started raining slime and one of the dwarfes cancelled job in despair. :M
I have big aquifer and spent three logs from wagon on beds instead on pump components to breach it. I have good farm and already started producing paper, cloth and booze.
It should be fun.

Perkel

Arcane
Silver is great, and hammers are arguably the superior option to minimize bodypart-thoughts (unless you knock out teeth?)

Silver bolts are GOAT. Only way to get better hammers is via artifact lead/gold hammer.

Once i got artifact lead warhammer and it was glorious.

Perkel

Arcane
CYpQ7fqUoAAq58R.png

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Dwarf Fortress 0.43.01
A new version number! With the work order additions and adventurer-created sites, this one ended up with more new stuff and fewer bug fixes than expected, and my version calculator just tipped over at 0.43. You can use the new 'b' site building option in adventure mode to create a site (outside the bounds of other sites). For dwarf mode work orders, you can set conditions and details from the manager. You can also create orders tied to specific shops from their workshop profiles.

A miscellaneous note: in order to retire at the adventurer sites you create, you'll need to name the site, create a main hall zone, and claim the hall during conversation (or while shouting to yourself).

Next up we'll be doing more bug fix releases to make sure we have a vaguely presentable DF before we disappear into a new compiler and 64 bits.

New stuff
  • Ability to build up new sites in adv mode, either yourself or by assigning companions
  • Ability to do carpentry in adv mode
  • Ability to chop down trees in adv mode
  • Ability to make stone axes in adv mode
  • Ability to pull branches from trees in adv mode
  • Can put start conditions on work orders (by amount of resources or dependence on other work orders)
  • Can specify materials/images/etc. in work orders
  • Can create work order from profile which is tied to specific workshop
  • Can set maximum number of shops that a general work order can task at once
  • Can set maximum number of general work orders per shop or disallow them by profession or altogether (note: this won't work for active old-save jobs)
  • Allowed perpetual work orders
  • Repeatable work orders, ability to set restart frequencies

Major bug fixes
  • Stopped masterpiece trading from causing artisans to suffer effects of art defacement

Other bug fixes/tweaks
  • Got rid of work order limit of 30 jobs
  • Improved work order filtering (respect partial vs. full results etc.)
  • Stopped work orders from taking more than one slot per workshop
  • Stopped non-citizens from being charged for violating production orders
  • Stopped mother from getting both her and spouse's miscarriage thought
  • Refreshed material list when deleting uniform item
  • XML export now has the exact site rectangle

Beastro

Arcane
This games graphics still eye bleeding?

I not a big one for such things, but they go a tad too far. I wish it had even a primitive level of Rimworld/Prison Architect graphics and I'd prolly play the hell out of it.

I not a big one for such things, but they go a tad too far. I wish it had even a primitive level of Rimworld/Prison Architect graphics and I'd prolly play the hell out of it.

Yeah, there are still some decent looking tilesets and 3rd party programs that allow you to view your fortress in 3d and interact with it (to an extent). The whole ui/graphics thing won't be a subject to change, unless Toady dies or hands his project to someone equally autistic and willing to dig through his code.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik

Pleb

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom