Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas mods

janior

Arcane
Patron
Is there something like Requiem for this?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Is there something like Requiem for this?

It depends on what you like about Requiem:

- If you want a more traditional RPG, then you should try Cirosans Classic Overhaul. Does what it says on the tin, making New Vegas feel like more traditional Fallouts when it comes to S.P.E.C.I.A.L. and other things. A compact mod overall.
- If you want a more hardcore "die all the time" experience, you should play with Vicious Wastes. It's a very good mod that makes tons of tweaks into the game. It's a shame that it's so hardcore you die way too often, to the point Fallout 4's "survival" runs would be impossible since you would die 1 out of 2 times you face enemies. Plus the few times you don't die, you mostly come out unscathed of fights. It's got a very detailed changes lists, so I sugget you read it.

I would recommend Cirosans Classic Overhaul personally, since Vicious Wastes makes the game drag on for too long since making money is particularly hard and carry weight is fairly low (you've got Relaxed, which gives you 150 tops with 10 Strength, or Strict, which gives you 100 with 10 Strength IIRC).

EDIT: I need to clarify. Vicious Wastes is not meant to be a "die all the time" mod, but it just ends up being that way because we are dealing with bullets, not with swords and bows or crossbows. Requiem too would be that way if enemies had assault rifles instead of bows that take time to fire and can be easily dodged. Sadly, EVERYTHING good that Vicious Wastes does (which is, to be honest, a lot) is sort of hampered by how quickly you and everyone else dies, product of the low Endurance values.

janior

Arcane
Patron
I'm using it for Skyrim already and from what i can see i'll have to reinstall it to make MO support NV mods wtf rly.

opium fiend

Augur
Is the story of Dust any good? Does it even exist? I've tried to finish FNV but chronic restarter syndrome won't allow me to, so maybe something fresh is in order

Is the story of Dust any good? Does it even exist? I've tried to finish FNV but chronic restarter syndrome won't allow me to, so maybe something fresh is in order

I didn't play it too far and it was like a year ago, tried to re-install NV with mods today but something went wrong during the process and game now won't even start, so yeah, can't say much about that. As far as good story goes, there was a pretty kewl quest mod (tales of the sands or somesuch) that was pretty much going for that oldschool feel, when everything is not that obvious and you gotta hunt clues and whatnot.

Found it - Tales of the burning sands

And yeah did a clean re-install and my 100+ mods setup ran without problems on the first try.

Took me 3 hours though. :shittydog:
giphy.gif

This is a pretty solid step-by-step guide for NV modding - http://wiki.step-project.com/User:EssArrBee/FalloutNewVegas

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Installed New Vegas Redesigned. Anyone use this one? If it's already been posted, my bad. Just not in the mood to go back. Anyways, it's not that difficult to install. I thought Requiem and a lot of other Skyrim mods were harder.

I used FCO 3.0 at first, but it's a buggy mess. Anyways, what I like about New Vegas Redesigned is that it doesn't change everyone. It keeps some of the better NPC faces. For example, the King's shitty FCO version versus the original made me instantly take it. Man, FCO version of the King looked fucking horrendous. Not sure why someone would try and fix something that isn't broken. Only issue is that the FCO 2.whatever's eyes were fucked. I had to download the fix from the page.

Had to uninstall Rudy ENB, which is the only issue. I really liked that ENB.

Just noticed that New Vegas really doesn't need a lot of mods. My load order is small as hell compared to Skyrim's. I'm using JSawyer's mod, YUP, a lot of the cut content mods, anti-crash, and NVR.

NVR is bretty good. FCO makes the characters look strangely... dead. As if, you know, they were actually dead and brought to life with magic stuff.

I'll eventually return to New Vegas to finsih it for the first time (and do Dead Money and Old World Blues). And it's true, New Vegas has a small load order compared to Skyrim. I've found that New Vegas unnaturally long load order is mostly because the mods I have installed (Project Nevada, EVE, Vicious Wastes) have a lot of plugins. Sadly a lot of mods that should have been in the vanilla game to begin with (for example, Underwater FX) take a few .esps as well so you end up with a load list that is bloated with things that change "little" things to make them more meaningful.
Man, I got my clock cleaned meeting up with those deranged Bright Followers. I think jsawyer mod puts them there? They for sure weren't there on the PS3 version. I actually had to sneak past them. JSawyer is a pretty good mod. I actually got killed a few times, and I'm not playing on very hard either.

New Vegas Redisgned is actually a legit mod. I'd recommend that to anyone. Really immersive mod with how things are done.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Man, I got my clock cleaned meeting up with those deranged Bright Followers. I think jsawyer mod puts them there? They for sure weren't there on the PS3 version. I actually had to sneak past them. JSawyer is a pretty good mod. I actually got killed a few times, and I'm not playing on very hard either.

New Vegas Redisgned is actually a legit mod. I'd recommend that to anyone. Really immersive mod with how things are done.

Yeah, JSawyer added those, it's a pretty cool change for a number of reasons:

- It makes sense.
- It shows the "bad" side of the faction.
- And it gives the player a reason to shoot every Bright Follower ghoul on sight once you reach REPCONN, when before there was no reason at all to kill them without being the evil guy.

It adds some neat changes to item locations as well (for the DLC packs). I'm still on the fence on what mods to use for my next playthrough: PN + JSawyer / PN + JSawyer + CCO / PN + JSawyer + Vicious Wastes. It's a shame because Vicious Wastes adds so many cool things but battles are awfully quick and you usually die 3 times facing the same enemies.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
For those interested, there's a mod called JSawyer Ultimate Edition. It's a remake of the original mod but fixes bugs and issues that jsawyer had since it was never really finished. Includes scripted in-game patching for modded items and it seems to be working fairly well.

It also adds a few things so read the description before installing.

Wulfstand

Prophet
I just started playing New Vegas and right off the bat I noticed that the npc movement animations are kind of clunky, like the movement itself stutters, the animation isn't clean, despite my constant 60 fps. Does any mod fix this issue?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Modded new vegas has all the features that fallout 4 has and even more...... it's just a pain to mod for 3 hours or more

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I seem to have rediscovered my love for New Vegas in my new stealth run, inspired by my Thief Gold playthrough. I'm using a few mods I've never used before:

- NVInteriors
- STUN
- Gas Pumps of New Vegas
- Unique Skill Magazines
- Yukichigai's Gameplay Tweaks
- Immersive Pickup Sounds
- Bury your Treasure
- Faction Armor Redone
- IMPACT
- Better Boots Sounds

On top of the usual difficulty mods:

- Project Nevada
- JSawyer
- Vicious Wastes
- Mass Recalibration
- Immersive Minigames

The classic weather and lighting mods:

- Nevada Skies
- Interior Lighting Overhaul

And the equipment addition mods:

- Weapons of the New Millenia (installer)
- Weapons of the New Millenia (standalone releases)
- Spice of Life

And bodies and faces, of course:

- Robert's Bodies
- Type 3 Bodies for clothed women, T6M for naked women
- New Vegas Redesigned 3

Dunno. The mods I mentioned at the beginning, for some reason, greatly increase my enjoyment in the game. I know that sound is one of the most important things when it comes to experiencing a game. I wish there was a total sound overhaul for New Vegas.

Oh, and it's very important to learn how to manually solve conflicts in FNVEdit. Luckily I discovered the "Apply filter to show conflict losers" option, which lets you neatly see which mods are being overwriten by others.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom