Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas has a stupid plot... but i like it!

Master

Arbiter
So theres no pulse grenades in the game. How convenient.:philosoraptor:

pippin

So theres no pulse grenades in the game. How convenient.:philosoraptor:

WhiteGuts

Arcane
FNV spolers!

You have to admit NV has a pretty unbelievable plot - a chip that unlocks HIDDEN ROCKETS inside Securitron robots. And whoever has the chip, controls the army of rocket firing robots and thus - the world. Of course! Its so cartooney that i cant hate it. It makes me think of that Wile E Coyote episode with rocket powered roller skates.

Yeah its stupid but at least its funny unlike the whole Legion idea which is just stupid. In the end it kinda redeems the game.

The chip is just a McGuffin to keep you going for a while, albeit with a major pay-off at the end. But still, the meat of the plot in NV is the faction politics and how it influences the life in the Mojave.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
The chips a shining example of a MacGuffin. It's main purpose is to set the game in motion the way the writers intended and to force the characters into the situations they wanted to explore the themes they wanted to deal with.
Just like countless games, it's just something to drive the story. Again, the game set this up wonderfully where you are driven to go to Vegas, and can see it off in the distance even from the beginning, but getting there is the story.

Also, what's up with the Securitron's being on one wheel? Any asshole with a board and 10 nails could take one of those babies out. Or you could just pour oil on the road. What a joke! I sure hope someone was fired over this!

Lostpleb

Learned
Surviving a bullet to the head fired from point blank is pretty stupid. I was ready for Kill Bill levels of realism from that moment onwards.

Quillon

Arcane
Surviving a bullet to the head fired from point blank is pretty stupid. I was ready for Kill Bill levels of realism from that moment onwards.

It was such a nice idea that Mafia 3 copied it. Tho I think there were 2 bullets to the head in NV therefore 2 negatives = +

Beastro

Arcane
The chips a shining example of a MacGuffin. It's main purpose is to set the game in motion the way the writers intended and to force the characters into the situations they wanted to explore the themes they wanted to deal with.
Just like countless games, it's just something to drive the story. Again, the game set this up wonderfully where you are driven to go to Vegas, and can see it off in the distance even from the beginning, but getting there is the story.

That's not a criticism. A lot of awesome movies revolve around very simple, very movie-ish things like that, just like games.

Beastro

Arcane

Looking back it was a missed opportunity to add some artificial handicaps to the PC explained organically.

Maybe they could a had come debuffs in until you made it to the implant clinic and took up an offer from the doc there to get some Johnny Mnemonic shit put in to fill in empty space the bullet blew out.

2house2fly

Magister

Looking back it was a missed opportunity to add some artificial handicaps to the PC explained organically.

Maybe they could a had come debuffs in until you made it to the implant clinic and took up an offer from the doc there to get some Johnny Mnemonic shit put in to fill in empty space the bullet blew out.
Well you're implied to be a veteran courier used to travelling the hostile wasteland for years, yet you start the game at level 1 with negligible skills; the bullets and week-long coma were probably meant to account for that.
Maria is a shit gun, no wonder the Courier survived a headshot.
One of Benny's possible responses when you catch up to him is "Damn I knew I shouldn't have used a 9mm"

Master

Arbiter

That's not a criticism. A lot of awesome movies revolve around very simple, very movie-ish things like that, just like games.

The problem isnt the chip itself but what its for. It unlocks rockets inside a robot army. Rockets and robots, WTF. Thats like something out of Hellboy. I thought Fallout is supposed to be at least somewhat realistic.

Zeriel

Arcane
the rocket launchers are already inside the robots, all the chip does is update the software to unlock access to the rocket launchers.
This.
Also, it's 50s Science man.

That's... pretty absurd. Fallout was far, far more rooted in reality than FNV, let's not pretend the Interplay guys would have just waved their hands and said, "The moon is made of cheese and atomic rockets BECAUSE 50'S SCIENCE MAAAAAN!"

I don't know when the "Fallout is all wacky and silly, all the time" meme got started, but the way it took over the franchise is why some oldfags are so butthurt over it.

2house2fly

Magister
Re9HRBp.gif

2house2fly

Magister
The robots having advanced equipment that the current version of their software doesn't allow them to use seems plausible, and fits thematically with all of Mr House's plans ending up a dollar short and a day late.

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, Fallout had easter eggs, but they were easter eggs. That's my point. They took what were tiny references and jokes and blew them out into the main part of the game, which drastically alters the overall feel.

laclongquan

Arcane
Fallout is wacky from the start.

1. No way you can recycle or purify water for a whole Vault of people just based on a machine based on a chip. If you can recycle enough, you dont have a big enough pool of water without it exchange foreign matter with the outside, thus you are screwed by fallout anyway. Not with decades of heavy use. If you purify water from a source, well, water in water out, where's your sewage? And when there's sewage, there's cockroach and rats in and out~ Ooops. The whole idea is wacky science.
2. Water merchant? Water caravan?Uh uh, no way~ In the history of human kinds, there's water merchant who sell water from the source they control to the passerby. There's not much of an idea to carry it to farther places.
Nostalgia and Gaming iz sirius bizniz attitude from nostalgic oldfags might fool ya but nuh uh.

Master

Arbiter
The robots having advanced equipment that the current version of their software doesn't allow them to use seems plausible, and fits thematically with all of Mr House's plans ending up a dollar short and a day late.

c9283dc81de972a8ff7f0550d78bafff.gif

Beastro

Arcane
The problem isnt the chip itself but what its for. It unlocks rockets inside a robot army. Rockets and robots, WTF. Thats like something out of Hellboy. I thought Fallout is supposed to be at least somewhat realistic.

It's always been whacky tech/ideas laid over a stark real and bleak setting so that the contrast between the two is all the more striking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom