Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas builds

Gozma

Arcane
Obviously you never use vats for anything so that's like half the "build" choices gone.

The thing you do in New Vegas that is fun (and isn't the Dead Money expansion) is trying all the guns. So you want a build that lets you try all the guns, so you level all the shooting skills in lockstep and take all the gun abilities. All melee weapons work and feel about the same and viewport FPS melee combat is incredibly hard to well even without an engine as bad as Oblivion, so for God's sake don't set out to make a "melee build" where it is the main way you do shit.

Grenades feel like they are one or two good mods away from being fun, so those mods are probably out there somewhere.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Non-patch mods are for fags. If you don't like it vanilla beyond fan made patches, you're admitting the game is shit.

Dumbfuck
Codex 2012
If you're finding game too easy, get this mod:

http://arwenevecom.ipage.com/FalloutNV/FNV-mods04.htm#version

I am playing Dead Money and it isn't easy... pretty much any damage you take leads to bleeding/broken limbs which leads to infection and death unless you can escape to heal (can't move while using stimpacks), meanwhile the radiation/cloud is killing you also. There is hardly any ammo (unless buy from vending machines) so you have to continually find new ways to use traps and tricks to get past ghost dudes

Only problem is that there are no antiobiotics or bandages in Dead Money (items added by Arwen) I had to cheat a couple of those in

This thread made me think Kingcomrade came back, fuck you negromancer!

People play unmodded vanilla these days?! Even Josh Sawyer uses mods and made his own!

Also, Energy/Science builds are supreme, suck my cock faggots.

You can max out 2/3 of the skills anyway, even with Sawyer's mod, so Energy/Science is only a part of the build anyway :martini:

Summary of best New Vegas build:

Fast Shot.
Shotgun Surgeon.
And Stay Back!
Riot Shotgun.

Riot Shotgun is fun but playing with a single weapon in a game like that gets boring very fast. It's not like you need to take much advantage of perks because of the game's difficulty anyway. The best build (weapon-wise of course) is the one where you get to play around with many weapons. Plasma Caster, Bozar, Holorifle, ALSID, Brush Gun/Medicine Stick, Red Glare...

Even though the engine sucks some of the weapons were so lulzy it didn't matter that much.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Riot Shotgun is fun but playing with a single weapon in a game like that gets boring very fast. The best build (weapon-wise of course) is the one where you get to play around with many weapons. Plasma Caster, Bozar, Holorifle, Red Glare...

Even though the engine sucks some of the weapons were so lulzy it didn't matter that much.

I'll agree with you on that point: using one weapon will get boring quickly.

EDIT: Also, the mod that moved this topic is a moron. New Vegas is a cRPG despite the shit engine. Nevermind, it was Jaesun.

Lancehead

Liturgist
I would say yes. The mod makes the game a little bit harder but nothing too drastic. Do read the changes it makes before using it, though.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
To those saying ST has to be 5 or so for big guns, remember there is a perk that adds 3 to ST for the purposes of weapon handling. I always make ST a 3 or 4 and count on that perk.

flushfire

Augur
Not big guns, just most guns really. Big guns need 7-8, a few 10. 6 str lets you handle almost everything except big guns and some heavier guns without needing power armor. Weapon handling in new vegas btw reduces the requirements by 2, so if you want to use big guns you're still going to need 5 str if you don't take power armor into consideration (light touch perk). And weapon handling is only available at level 16, most players would come by weapons with 6 str requirements before that. 5 is just more flexible unless going for a specific build.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I believe gun damage output is affected by your skills too.

Dumbfuck
Codex 2012
But anything is usable right?

In that case anything above STR 5 is wasted. Take some buff-out for whenever you need to fire a big gun or skill check (are there even any str-related checks?)

My build:

Intelligence 7
Agility 7 (+1 small frame, thought for AP's not sure that useful)
Luck 7 (critical chance, adds to lots of skills)
Perception 6 (for perks)
Endurance 5
Strength 4

Also make note of how many upgrades/implants you can get. I think the # you can take is based on your endurance so there is a trade-off. An endurance implant is 'free' (doesn't count toward the total). I believe I was able to boost my top 3 stats to all 9's

Gozma

Arcane
I think the strength bonuses from drugs would last like 10 minutes in real time if you had the drug duration boosts (the Chemist perk and the one you learn by taking lots of drugs). And they stacked pretty freely, including non-addictive stuff. So basically you can lowball on strength and still be able to use anything you want, but then all the stats except I think luck are like that.

Dumbfuck
Codex 2012
Except agility and intelligence checks, either stat or stat-related skills, are a lot more frequent. You'd run out or get addicted too quickly.

I did find myself just below threshold for Speech checks several times. You can use alcohol as a temporary boost, I think there is one which will give you +4 to the skill.

For skills check what kind of thresholds there are for that skill. Computers and Lockpicks are always 25, 50, 75 or 100. So optimally you can aim for that skill level - temporary boosts (drugs, skill-increasing clothing). Eg, there's no reason to take more than 76 in lockpicking... reading glasses and a drug give +1 PER each (+4 skill) and locksmith's magazine (w perk) gives +20.

Krivol

Magister
Is CHA worth anything (expect small skilsl boost)? I've read something about followers influence, but I don't know if that's a big deal,.

Dustin542

Liturgist
Is CHA worth anything (expect small skilsl boost)? I've read something about followers influence, but I don't know if that's a big deal,.
IIRC it affects their DT and damage so its worth is less when not playing on hardcore.

Start with higher endurance and lower other attributes by 1 each (except maybe int, not sure you can max all skills even with expansions, but even if you can't you don't actually need to). As long as you get the implants for the requirements before you need them you'll get more out of your character in the long run.

Depends on your priorities. There isn't a 'dump stat' as such, but I did perfectly fine with low Endurance combined with a long-rage/diplomat build. You need to steer clear of anywhere that contains deathstalkers or caza-whatever-those-fucking-superwasps-are-called, and be rather wary about giant scorpions, for some time but once you've got a good sniper rifle (scoped guns let you shoot accurately for a much longer distance than you can in VATs) and decent armour-piercing options you're okay. I find that low-endurance high-perception/agility builds essentially trade off lower survivability vs giant wasteland creatures against higher combat effectiveness vs human enemies.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Start with higher endurance and lower other attributes by 1 each (except maybe int, not sure you can max all skills even with expansions, but even if you can't you don't actually need to). As long as you get the implants for the requirements before you need them you'll get more out of your character in the long run.

Depends on your priorities. There isn't a 'dump stat' as such, but I did perfectly fine with low Endurance combined with a long-rage/diplomat build. You need to steer clear of anywhere that contains deathstalkers or caza-whatever-those-fucking-superwasps-are-called, and be rather wary about giant scorpions, for some time but once you've got a good sniper rifle (scoped guns let you shoot accurately for a much longer distance than you can in VATs) and decent armour-piercing options you're okay. I find that low-endurance high-perception/agility builds essentially trade off lower survivability vs giant wasteland creatures against higher combat effectiveness vs human enemies.

Brah, you're trading off lower survivability for nothing, because I can make a high perception/high endurance/high agility build instead at no real expense to myself. All I'm saying is to start with all attributes (except maybe int, though I got the caps and hit vegas without gaining any levels once, and I snuck through deathclaw territory at level 1 once) 1 point lower than you would otherwise and put all those points in endurance because you'll get those points back later through implants (which are limited by endurance).

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
When using a 'Big Guns' focused character I usually go with 6 str then get the implant and +1 str perk. I like having max inventory capacity possible + pack rat so I can carry a shitload of ammo. I tend to spray and pray though, and rarely use companions (kill Rex almost immediately every time I get him... stupid dog).

I am trying the riot shotgun build, pretty sweet. Actually viable for death claws and those other meanies in hardcore with just bug fix mods. Started with 5 str, +1 str implant, +1 spineless, 5 per =1 implant, 8 end (all except charisma implant), cha 1 +1 from Ulysses duster, int 5 +1implant, Agi 8 +1 implant +1 logans finale, 8 luck +1 implant +1 lucky shades. traits fast shot and skilled, perks the usual, but squeezed in educated and comprehension early on. Skill overkill i know, but better than taking more int.

Anyone knows whether the 4eyes +3 bonus with lucky shades (effectively +2) counts towards perception requirement for perks. I get butthurt if anyone calls me four eyes in real life, so i pretty much avoided it. If the perk requirements support the +2 from lucky shades, 8 per will allow you to squeeze in commando and sniper making an okay mid range sniper in vats, (weapon handling too you can squeeze for the big guns) for clearing out stuff from range until you go in close range.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom