Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic's new free Unreal Tournament (development halted)

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
fag shit looks like fucking halo or destiny not UT

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
This alien here looks fucking awesome, much better than those boring Gen Mo kai from UT2k4.

i1ed7Q6.png

And the shock rifle... I approve

Og48xFN.png

ZYTeu1Q.png

It reminds me of UT3's shock rifle, but more firearm looking

UT3 looked like typical GoW fat marines crap but deathmatch. Space goths > GoW fat marines. Those assholes even polluted Bulletstorm.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
In the future every surface will be made out of brushed aluminum, and all lights will be neon.

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
It's a fucking tournament, not Saw. Enough with making it look grimy and brown and edgy, that's so 90's. Liandri is a billionaire company, i'm sure they can afford clean arenas. At least their main flagship arena, Deck 16.

You people have a seriously lack of taste. That crap is just generic sci fi trash by some art school student

Thanks for the feedback cunt, we're waiting for your art submission to see how the next ASMD should look like

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Thanks for the feedback cunt, we're waiting for your art submission to see how the next ASMD should look like

:nocountryforshitposters:

How about you show us your own art submission that proves your taste is ho so much better than ours, cunt.

UT needs to be UT. Fat marines suck shit but there's nothing wrong with the style of the original.

Astral Rag

Arcane
It's a fucking tournament, not Saw. Enough with making it look grimy and brown and edgy, that's so 90's. Liandri is a billionaire company, i'm sure they can afford clean arenas. At least their main flagship arena, Deck 16.

:hmmm:

Not like this:

og48xfnjwrqp.png

But a lot like this:
769B0B787762E0A97ABBD5DD6C1A220ECFC9DD1F

Obviously.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
Actually, original UT weapons were already mostly generic looking takes on U1 arsenal (they did pack some nice oomph, though and had some neat special effects).

Apart from two cases where the designer clearly overdosed on creativity enhancers* - nuflak and nuGESBiorifle - and one case when he copied UT2k3/4 popamole weapon rather than glorious master race one - RL - UT3 hardware art design design is actually the best of all UT series, if a bit too much on the baroque side.
Shock Rifle is the only one since U1 that doesn't look like generic laser gun an 11yo would draw, Pulse Gun is neat, Stinger draws from both U1 Stinger and U1 minigun for great, if a bit overdone (come on - a big gatling made of three gatlings?) effect, Sniper Rifle is, for the first time, not generic sniper rifle/M16-with-long-barrel.

Yeah weapon design is way too busy and would benefit greatly from being cleaned up (so would levels, for that matter), yeah there are GOW fatmarines (which were already in UT2k3/4) and GOW degenrate beastdudes, but UT3 still mostly surpasses the rest of the series in terms of art (shame about shit postprocessing and retroactively smudging team colors on characters in game.
And no, neither space goths, nor fatmarines are cool.

*) Glue.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
After reading the thread and watching artworks/screenshots I get one impression - good weapons (not only ASMD) have basic compounds (like few combined blocks?), and not that much gimmik stuff like lighting bulbs, twistet metal plates.
Dirt, rust and some damage visuals are ok. Just... try to make functional simple gun not christmas tree?

Same to character models.

AlexOfSpades
you should know that talking about games older than Oblivion is fighting with solid wall of nostalgia with bare fists.
Don't get too much upset until it deliver lulz. Just sayin'.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
After reading the thread and watching artworks/screenshots I get one impression - good weapons (not only ASMD) have basic compounds (like few combined blocks?), and not that much gimmik stuff like lighting bulbs, twistet metal plates.
Dirt, rust and some damage visuals are ok. Just... try to make functional simple gun not christmas tree?

Same to character models.

I think those iFag sci-fi designs are the equivalent of huge shoulder pads and retarded unrealistic weapons in modern fantasy games. I'd take "genetic" realistic medieval looking swords and armors any time, and the same applies for sci-fi involving any type of standard military themes.

Those concept arts basically suffer from excessive style, and i'd argue animu influence is possibly to blame here.

DraQ

Arcane
That's my main beef with UT3 weapon design - most are full of busy shit that serves no purpose.
Still, they clearly reference the superior designs of U1 and if they were cleaned up of all the spurious shit, they would look pretty spiffy - some do already.

And UT'99 shockrifle didn't look particularly stellar - all in all it was generic looking laser gun thing riddled with blue glowy bits (compare U1 ASMD).
OTOH UT3 one, while glowy, at least makes effort to make the glowy part look like central part of the weapon around which the rest is essentially built - at least there is no asking what the fuck is glowy part for because it makes pretty clear that it is THE weapon.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Hurray, Apple design is still infecting everything. Thanks a lot, Steve Jobs.

you should know that talking about games older than Oblivion is fighting with solid wall of nostalgia with bare fists.

I should know that talking about games older than Oblivion with newfags on both the Codex and on Earth, is like fighting an infectious cesspool with no hazmat suit.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I would care about maps and guns as much as you guys, if only the game wasn't F2P and therefore infected with microtransactions that will kill all the fun beyond the first few hours of gameplay and therefore bound to be boring.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I would care about maps and guns as much as you guys, if only the game wasn't F2P and therefore infected with microtransactions that will kill all the fun beyond the first few hours of gameplay and therefore bound to be boring.

It's not going to have microtransactions.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Yes microtransactions in an open source game

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
this game is going to be open source? well, then i wonder how will they make money, because i doubt they do it out of goodwill :M

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
this game is going to be open source? well, then i wonder how will they make money, because i doubt they do it out of goodwill :M

Unreal Tournament will "eventually" have a marketplace where modders can post and give away or sell their maps, mods and other content.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom