Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic's new free Unreal Tournament (development halted)

Perkel

Arcane
Epic can't into arena shooter. Everything after 99 was downgrade and servers up for 99 containting more players than all other Ut only prove that.
But that is not a news. Gears of War was piece of shit and they proved they can't do proper games anymore.

Perkel

Arcane
It means they don't have a fucking idea what was great about 99' which shows as later UT stopped being fun and by the time they got tanks in it completely destroyed its core.

First fuckup was changing this

weapon_enforcer_s.gif

into fucking piece of shit smg.

DraQ

Arcane
:salute:

Why the bloody fuck has everyfuckingone, including fucking Epic since fucking UT fucking '99 been fucking trying to fucking mold fucking Skaarj into fucking space fucking orkz with fucking tails?

I mean what the FUUUCK!?

Original Skaarj looked like this:
2e6dely.png

They were brawny, but they weren't hulking brutes - that's what brutes were for - their main assets were smarts and agility, and it fucking showed in the way they looked and moved. They weren't mountains of slow, dumb muscle and they didn't look like ones, they also didn't have derpy orky faces with fucking brow nostrils.

(although the concept is still better than every single take on the Skaarj after Unreal 1).
:hearnoevil:

i always love that gothic style that unreal 1 and UT 1999 had... then it went downhill with the flashy bland colors plus horrible gun models.
Actually, the gun models in UT3 were probably the best since Unreal 1 and closest styllistically (although overly baroque and nu-RL, and nu-Flak sucked).

The rest - yeah, Unreal had strong and awesome art direction, I don't understand why they decided to fuck it up.

Last edited:

Gentle Player

Arcane
It depresses me to no end that no one wants to make an FPS with a world as alien and unique as Unreal 1. Hell, even the nightmarish gothic style of Quake 1 would do. Imagine the possibilities with the technology we have now. FUCK.

Ninjerk

Arcane
It depresses me to no end that no one wants to make an FPS with a world as alien and unique as Unreal 1. Hell, even the nightmarish gothic style of Quake 1 would do. Imagine the possibilities with the technology we have now. FUCK.
Why do that when you can fite in saudi arabia

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin

Games like Doom, Quake, or Unreal were more built around atmosphere than story and consistency of setting. They got a bit of a narrative with bits of text here and there but it's mostly just an excuse to get you to different places. Unreal and UT had different mappers with different styles and it shows, and it's not a bad thing at all. But these days we lost that sort of design in favour of story-driven stuff. While I don't mind that most of the time (F.E.A.R. has very little variation in its environments but it makes sense given that the whole game is supposed to take place during the course of one night), I miss the hodgepodge design with very broad brushes of story.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
It will be open sores though so who cares what they do as long as the source isn't a mess some nerds will make it into something

AngryKobold

Arcane

So no change in art direction since UT 2004. I hope they're gonna put there the other humanoid lizards as well. Even if the game will turn out to be nothing but utter shit, at least there will be some humanoid lizards.

Disgruntled

Savant
Why are they skimping on concept art? Theres like a million digital artists who have amazing work just sitting there doing nothing.

Someone must have sat down and said 'we're going for the chinese knock-off-toy look'.

With that aside, arena shooters are games where im personally more lenient with regards to grafix. If the gameplay is amazing Ill be into this for sure.

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
Graphics is one thing, art direction is another. In my opinion, the only thing UT3 did right was the art design. The Necris look so much better than their predecessors (a bunch of humans reskinned to look like space goths), the guns look fucking nuts and some of the characters had incredible concept. Specifically these:

unreal_tournament_2007_conceptart_7L1Dq.jpg

Their execution wasn't... that good as it was on paper, but hey. That Skaarj looks like trash. In my opinion, the closer it is to Unreal 1 the better.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Modders will fix it? Wait, are those artworks made by fans and gained some critique from senior art director at Epic?
So...well...uhm.... no.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I never liked non-human character models in unreal tournaments, they looked rather like something from Dungeons & Dragons than science-fiction. The UT3 (human) character models were the best.

Perkel

Arcane
What's wrong with you people. Humans should look like fucking humans and not like some steroids addicts.

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
Since they follow the same reproduction system and caste as bees, we probably shouldn't expect penises from them. I mean, they're technically overgrown lizard spiders. Don't ask me how the Queen gets her eggs fertilized though.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Since they follow the same reproduction system and caste as bees, we probably shouldn't expect penises from them. I mean, they're technically overgrown lizard spiders. Don't ask me how the Queen gets her eggs fertilized though.
Lizards have dicks bro.

DraQ

Arcane
What's wrong with you people. Humans should look like fucking humans and not like some steroids addicts.
Heresy.

Don't ask me how the Queen gets her eggs fertilized though.
Warlord, duh.
Lizards have dicks bro.
But do lizard spiders?

Ninjerk

Arcane
Lizards have dicks bro.
But do lizard spiders?
Depends on what gender they identify as
:yeah:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom