Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic's new free Unreal Tournament (development halted)

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
No consoles - the platforms are PC, Mac, Linux.
:yeah:

How much is it going to cost? "It's going to be free."
:rage:

EDIT: ninjaed again! :D

Silly Rabbit

Learned
Sorry for quoting Polygon but they leaked the details early:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/8/5695404/unreal-tournament-new-2014-free-unreal-engine-4-epic-games

Epic's decision to build the game in public isn't the only change that reflects the passage of time. Unreal Tournament will be free — but not free-to-play, according to the developer.
"Free means free — no microtransactions," he said. "Just free."

When asked how Epic will earn income with a free game, Polge said that Unreal Tournament will "eventually" have a marketplace where modders can post and give away or sell their maps, mods and other content.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
The lady promised no microtransactions, so that's :incline: I suppose.
I think I'm fine with them selling actual content like maps and mods on their marketplace.

Cazzeris

I'd prefer to just pay 30 bucks and play with people who really wanted to play this game.

At least TF2 and DOTA are good F2P.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
If the base game it's truely going to be totally free then that's good news, hope they deliver something good.

Diablo169

Arcane
Well it sounds great in theory. It will likely still be shit. but at least I wont have to pay for it to find out. If it gives me even a slight feeling of what I used to get with UT-99 then i'll likely play the shit outta it.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Not too certain how I feel about this. Time wil tell. To be honest I expected something worse, but an open development can be good as long as they don't take shitty ideas from everywhere.
:hmmm:

Renegen

Arcane
I hope they inject some MOBA features into this venerable franchise. :troll:

I have no faith they'll do anything good, UT has been dead for a long time.

Cazzeris

This can be good.

Killing Floor 2 news and a possibly well-made Unreal Tournament.

Today is a good day.

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
I don't prefer 2004, i love them both equally, but what i love about it is the wall-dodging. With the unlimited wall dodging mutator, combat feels like we're ninjas bouncing on walls like Megaman X while shooting deadly instagib beams. When UT99's strafing is just on 2 axis (sideways and ahead/behind) the dodging in 2004 is in three axis, in a sense, thanks to double-jumping and dodging giving combat a completely new dimension. Very fun and quite challenging! Don't get me wrong though, compared to 99's adrenalin-fueled, lightning-fast combat UT2004 felt floaty and slow. I love both, in different ways. I remember playing Godlike matches on UT99 - i had to rest a bit after an hour or so of game, it was a bit too much.

I liked Quake 3, but it always felt inferior to the UT series. The movement is cool but relying on jump pads/rocket jumps felt limited. I don't quite understand the comparison with 2004.

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
In UT2k4 you basically had 2 "jumps" you could work with. You could, for instance, perform a doublejump, a dodge-jump or jump up to a wall and dodge away from it. Hence a wall-dodge. This mechanic is also what I found very appealing in the game, despite the movement being horribly slow. But it did allow for some pretty interesting scenarios and, as Alex mentioned, gives you a new axis to play around with. If 2k4 adopted the movementsped in '99 or Q3 it would arguably have become too much of a twitchfest in that regards. It should have been slightly faster regardless though.

I enjoyed both Q3, UT99 and UT2004. Tho I always preferd Q2 multiplayer over Q3.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And now, where I reveal how much of a noob I really am at arena shooters:

What is wall-dodging? Is it a specific mechanic you use that the game acknowledges, or a quirk that players exploit (like bunny-hopping)?
IIRC it is basicly like wall-jumps in platformers. You jump onto the wall and push yourself away from it. I admit I never could do it in UT. :(

Astral Rag

Arcane
Unreal Tournament will "eventually" have a marketplace where modders can post and give away or sell their maps, mods and other content.

Yeah this is totally not a F2P game :roll:

1. This game will play and look like crap if it's co-designed by a million unguided "fans". Good games are made by (groups of) skilled people who have a coherent vision, a set of relatively clear goals,...

2. This game will be an amazing online experience if no 2 players have the same content: "Host wants to play on Deck 1€€7 with skin Nude_pony_13 please transfer 20 Nali credits ($12.99) to Epic Games, Inc to get access to this content or try to find another server".

Last edited:

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Ah the memories. I remember my UT2004 clan doing wall-dodging drills. This is when I started asking myself... why does this feel like work, when I'm supposed to be having fun?

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Have to be in mid-air, else it would just be a normal dodge but... yep.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom