Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic's new free Unreal Tournament (development halted)

Self-Ejected

Repulsive

Self-Ejected
Patron
If you ever played any arena shooter on a high skilled / competitive level, you would understand the massive and gaping shortcomings of ut99.

If you are like Excidium II and think arena shooters should have overpowered weapons and be just a free for all gorefest without much in the way of tactics, you are the fps version of a jrpg player who calls himself an rpg enthusiast.
"muh esports" - Q3 player
I'm not a q3 player. And it's not about esports. It's about a balanced game with a high skill ceiling. It's fascinaing how the same people will sperg out when some rpg gets consolized or doesn't have enough stats or hardcore features, but will laugh at an fps that requires skill, opting instead for a casual one while mocking the more enthusiastic players, all while completely oblivious to teh ironing.
Fucken terrible analogy m8.

UT99 - launch game join server gib niggers cool guns cool maps cool barks cool announcer have fun
Q3 - Talking about skill ceiling and balance on video game forums sterile guns sterile maps watch tournament matches

Found Q3 fun as fuck but agree here, the more focused FPS games and games in general put on 'balance' and 'gitting gud', the less fun they became. I have a shitload more fun playing other 90's - early 2000's FPS games like Soldier of Fortune, Kingpin, Unreal 1 over Quake 3 DM and duels. Would have much preferred Quake 3 to be a single player focused game, they even ditched that bland, sci-fi art direction from Quake 2.

Last edited:

thesoup

Arcane
If you ever played any arena shooter on a high skilled / competitive level, you would understand the massive and gaping shortcomings of ut99.

If you are like Excidium II and think arena shooters should have overpowered weapons and be just a free for all gorefest without much in the way of tactics, you are the fps version of a jrpg player who calls himself an rpg enthusiast.
"muh esports" - Q3 player
I'm not a q3 player. And it's not about esports. It's about a balanced game with a high skill ceiling. It's fascinaing how the same people will sperg out when some rpg gets consolized or doesn't have enough stats or hardcore features, but will laugh at an fps that requires skill, opting instead for a casual one while mocking the more enthusiastic players, all while completely oblivious to teh ironing.
Fucken terrible analogy m8.

UT99 - launch game join server gib niggers cool guns cool maps cool barks cool announcer have fun
Q3 - Talking about skill ceiling and balance on video game forums sterile guns sterile maps watch tournament matches
your words essentially mean
ut99 - instant gratification, no skill needed, perfect for a casual afternoon. you press a button, something awesome has to happen. button - awesome, connected.

q3 - actual staying power because it has various balanced tactics and playstyles with weapons that aren't random OP shit.

And lol sterile weapons. Ut had like 4 unique weapons different from quake, 2 of which were embarrassingly bad (and 2 that are rally good and became the signature ofnthe series). And some were straight copies from quake anyway.

It's funny how you call quake a series for nerds discussing balance on forums and not actually playing the game, meanwhile quake live is currently more active currently than any UT combined, q3 itself outlived ut99, ut2k3/4 and ut3 combined and had a larger presence all that time. Shit, even CPMA is more active nowadays, after 18 years, than every UT combined. Meanwhile I doubt you even play ut99 nowadays. In fact pretty much no one does.

And I say this as someone who has played ut2k4 and ut4 on a competiive / enthusiastic level and never really got into quake.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
it's a matter of accessibility. And Q3 p. much becoming synonymous with arena shooping, which became just a tiny niche of multiplayer that only people in competitive scene still care about.

Quatlo

Arcane
You just need to add a decent tutorial to arena shooters, some preliminary matchmaking for newbies where you see item spawn counters, arrows leading to armour/bonuses and other shit so people can easily learn maps, damage numbers so they learn how hard weapons hit, HUD prompts helping you to master movement and maybe some special maps that reward you with cosmetics when you learn how to correctly control your movement in air or how to correctly switch weapons mid-fight.

Its not a rocket science but all these fucking retards who make gaimz cant comprehend its not complexity that scares casuals away, its the unavilabilty of information, so people just dont know what the fuck they are doing, they get floored 5 times and uninstall without bothering to even learn the basics, especially in games that on surface seem simple and easy as point your crosshair at enemy dude and click.
I'd be fucking pissed too if someone invited me to play pool for example without telling me not to score the 8-ball

thesoup

Arcane
The new UT has most of what you said. And a helpful community on discord.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
You just need to add a decent tutorial to arena shooters, some preliminary matchmaking for newbies where you see item spawn counters, arrows leading to armour/bonuses and other shit so people can easily learn maps, damage numbers so they learn how hard weapons hit, HUD prompts helping you to master movement and maybe some special maps that reward you with cosmetics when you learn how to correctly control your movement in air or how to correctly switch weapons mid-fight.

Its not a rocket science but all these fucking retards who make gaimz cant comprehend its not complexity that scares casuals away, its the unavilabilty of information, so people just dont know what the fuck they are doing, they get floored 5 times and uninstall without bothering to even learn the basics, especially in games that on surface seem simple and easy as point your crosshair at enemy dude and click.
I'd be fucking pissed too if someone invited me to play pool for example without telling me not to score the 8-ball

Quake Live has a decent tutorial that teaches you about map control, strafe jumping, and rocket jumping.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's funny how you call quake a series for nerds discussing balance on forums and not actually playing the game, meanwhile quake live is currently more active currently than any UT combined,
Funny, I can install UT99 any time and I can find dozens of servers on multiplayer. Quake 3 has inferior artstyle, inferior sound, inferior atmosphere and less varied gameplay than UT99.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
It's funny how you call quake a series for nerds discussing balance on forums and not actually playing the game, meanwhile quake live is currently more active currently than any UT combined,
Funny, I can install UT99 any time and I can find dozens of servers on multiplayer. Quake 3 has inferior artstyle, inferior sound, inferior atmosphere and less varied gameplay than UT99.
He's still right though. UT99 has around a quarter the number of players of Q3 and QL (which are then 1/10th the number of players of CS1.6). All of those are subjective but Quake 3 has very crisp and clear sound and you sure as hell will never see the mindgames related to sound and weapon pickups in a UT99 game (or quake champions if they keep the muddy sound). In the long run id's classic games will live forever because they are open source and open to modding.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
He's still right though. UT99 has around a quarter the number of players of Q3 and QL (which are then 1/10th the number of players of CS1.6). All of those are subjective but Quake 3 has very crisp and clear sound and you sure as hell will never see the mindgames related to sound and weapon pickups in a UT99 game (or quake champions if they keep the muddy sound). In the long run id's classic games will live forever because they are open source and open to modding.
I'm sorry, but "mindgames related to weapon pickup sounds" is a whole new level of autism. I'm not pro enough to judge that, so I give you that, Q3 might be superior when it comes to these "mindgames". But it doesn't make it a better game.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Not picking up an item so your opponent doesn't know your location is now autism? It all makes sense now.

Quatlo

Arcane
Yeah quake has surprisingly high amount of sneaking around because all the grunts when jumping and footstep sounds make you dead meat for rocket spam, but it also happens in UT especially with enemies that shock combo well

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Not picking up an item so your opponent doesn't know your location is now autism? It all makes sense now.
No, the way you present it is autism. Wow, there is this mindgame in Q3, which is this super intelligent gameplay element where you try to be as silent as possible. Fuck off, this is just as prevalent in UT99, I clearly remember you had to listen a lot to the ambient sounds because they could tell you if a player picked up a specific weapon near you.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'm sorry, but "mindgames related to weapon pickup sounds" is a whole new level of autism. I'm not pro enough to judge that, so I give you that, Q3 might be superior when it comes to these "mindgames". But it doesn't make it a better game.
Educate yourself.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Educate yourself.
Is this supposed to prove something? Picking up weapons and armor gives a sound effect and the other players can hear that. Wow, Q3 is really the game of the century.

thesoup

Arcane
Sound in any UT is just as important as it is in any quake. Hell, in UT99 you can even hear spawns. Sound is essential for any skilled player in any arena fps since quake 1 and UT99 is no exception.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Educate yourself.
Is this supposed to prove something? Picking up weapons and armor gives a sound effect and the other players can hear that. Wow, Q3 is really the game of the century.
Mate, stop making elephants out of molehills. Sound is only a factor, not the factor, but in terms of the overall gameplay Quake is going for it is an important factor as sound should be in nearly every first-person game where you do not have the benefit of a third-person camera letting you peek around walls. I'm not trying to argue whether Q3's sound design is better than that of UT99, but to dismiss it as "a whole new level of autism" shows a lack of understanding of what makes these games work as upholding map awareness through sound is a key factor which separates pros from scrubs. It may be just sound, but proper sound design which allows you to gauge events and changes in your nearby surroundings is a key component which makes first-person games like Quake, Thief, Devil Daggers, Unreal Tournament and Rainbow Six: Siege work. People who just want to make things sound cool end up making Quake Champions where everything sounds like its underwater. The opportunities and usage of sound in your game are really easy to fuck up if you have no clear direction of your game.

Jazz_

Arcane
Quake Live has a decent tutorial that teaches you about map control, strafe jumping, and rocket jumping.

You also find very helpful people in game. I've been playing Quake Live for like 3 weeks as a newb and I gotta say to my surprise that I'm quite pleased with the community so far, usually communities in fps are toxic and childish, in Quake Live I have yet to meet an asshole. I actually met several guys who gave me tips and suggestions to improve my game after they wrecked me in duel.
But yeah the skill level is crazy if you get into it as a newb, I can see how it can be a frustrating experience for some people.

thesoup

Arcane
While I don't doubt you came across nice guys willing to give you tips, I heard the opposite from many veterans: that the community is full of primadonna elitist faggots.

abija

Prophet
Funny, I can install UT99 any time and I can find dozens of servers on multiplayer.

You cannot come home from work, choose a competitive gametype (duel, tdm, ctf w/e), press play and get a remotely balanced game. This is the only thing these games need and unfortunately can be achieved only with a solid playerbase. The main reason for failing that is none of the big companies actually put some money into it, gave it a real shot.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I haven't played either in many years but Q3 is way better than any UT. I've had fun in both but never got into 'the zone' like I did in Q3. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Of course, I never did put much time into the UT's and kind of sucked so I could be biased. At least I kicked Skyways ass.

VHucvpZ.jpg

thesoup

Arcane
Aaand weapons can't be hidden any more because "bugs", but they consider removing this option for good because muh streams and muh skins for purchase. Uninstalled.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Tried UT4 several months ago and wasn't very impressed. Came back yesterday and it's noticeably better now - mostly playable. Performance is OK but pauses between maps are too long.

Weapons aren't quite what they were in previous games. For instance, you can't really spam triple rockets or plasma primary. Minigun takes forever to warm up. Bio rifle alternate is harder to aim. Consequently, godlike bots are much tougher than they used to be. As usual, they don't play fair, so time isn't on your side. Flak or sniper will give you a good chance against them, everything else either doesn't do enough damage or is too easy to dodge.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom