Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic's new free Unreal Tournament (development halted)

Angthoron

Arcane
pakoito, Infinitron
Oh, okay, thanks for correction, stopped following that thread before that statement was published. Good, I guess.

Shit, though, they were around for 10 years?!

Baron Dupek

Arcane
New stuff. Thumbs up for not going into UE3 walking mountains models and clear view (hope it's not prealpha phase only).

Hello from San Francisco! We’re at GDC representing all your hard work with today’s release. This update includes a revamped launcher, a new customized Unreal Editor for UT, and the new Unreal Tournament marketplace. New content includes the Malcolm and Necris characters, as well as Outpost 23, a fun and beautiful map that’s designed to show where UT can go, and give you content to use in your own maps.
Eqpb.png
Bqpb.png

Cqpb.png

dbx

Arcane
Patron
Also UE4 and UT are now officially "free" (there's still the 5% of revenue rule) and open-source for everyone.
No more monthly fee.
I'm obviously downloading everything right now. Gotta check how that engine is coded.

There's like 0 reasons to keep using Unity right now, unless you code for mobile (I don't know how good is the mobile version of UE4 atm).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Also UE4 and UT are now officially "free" (there's still the 5% of revenue rule) and open-source for everyone.
No more monthly fee.
I'm obviously downloading everything right now. Gotta check how that engine is coded.

There's like 0 reasons to keep using Unity right now, unless you code for mobile (I don't know how good is the mobile version of UE4 atm).
Well the asset store, mac and linux compatabilty.

Cazzeris

Those are some impresive graphics, but it looks like the guys at Epic Games will fail again at catching UT99's atmosphere and glorious art style.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Is it just me or is there some weird stretching in those screenshots (specifically the 1st one)?

zwanzig_zwoelf

Is it just me or graphics look like everything is make of plastic, just like it was in UE3?

Ninjerk

Arcane
Seems like the closer we get to realism, the more a gun like a flak cannon should have a shoulder strap. He's holding that like it's all made of plastic.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Doesn't look like UT all that much but i'm not going to lie, those graphics are pretty good. Some of the weapon models are not totally convincing but the environment looks great. Clean, detailed and with no inappropriate use of bullshit shader effects and the like. I really like the outside vista as well.

This shit looks pretty cool, how exactly do I play it?

https://forums.unrealtournament.com/showthread.php?12011-Unreal-Tournament-Pre-Alpha-Playable-Build Make Epic account, download the launcher, install the game with a launcher.
That one map looks really good, on par with CryEngine 3 stuff and runs on my GTX 760 with a mix of High/Epic settings at stable 60 FPS. UE4 Temporal AA seems to be as effective as Nvidia TXAA (maybe less demanding) but also has the same drawback that it needs to be mixed with sweetfx lumasharpen to look crisp.

Last edited:

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
Doesn't look like UT all that much but i'm not going to lie, those graphics are pretty good. Some of the weapon models are not totally convincing but the environment looks great. Clean, detailed and with no inappropriate use of bullshit shader effects and the like. I really like the outside vista as well.

Pretty sure they're still using the UT3 weapon models for most of the weapons.

Astral Rag

Arcane
This new "Unreal Tournament" still doesn't look like an Unreal Tournament game at all.

potatojohn

Arcane
That "AA" blur looks really annoying to me. I don't know why. It's almost painful to look at.

I'd rather have jaggies

That "AA" blur looks really annoying to me. I don't know why. It's almost painful to look at.

I'd rather have jaggies

I've already mentioned how you can make it look good. Temporal AA is a godsend actually, shimmering is a big problem with nowadays games, I just don't understand why devs don't provide sharpen slider for it, it's just as effective when sharped up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom