Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic's new free Unreal Tournament (development halted)

Cazzeris

https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament/

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/unreal-tournament/home

Mark Rein from Epic Games said that:

7HapOz1.jpg

X1jfChX.jpg

g2b3PGP.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
It's either going to be a cover-based third-person shooter with regenerating health and "realistic modern military weapons" or a "HD Remake" of UT1 with badly upscaled textures and 2 new player models. :negative:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hope it will have Linux version as all the UTs except the damned last one :x

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I liked all UTs. That is, 2003 could be forgotten for all I care, as it was just a curiosity to get bored with after ten or twenty hours of gameplay. 2004 and 3 were good though, just as original one, but their strengths and weaknesses lied elsewhere. UT was the best for DM/TDM/CTF modes and none of the following games ever achieved their level of fun. UT2004 and 3 had awesome game modes of Assault, Warfare and Onslaught. There's no other arcade shooter with this much fun infantry+vehicles gameplay, not even today. 2004 and 3 kind of looked too colourful, but the gameplay was still great. I hope, with the new game, they achieve the artwork and DM/TDM/CTF fun of UT and additional modes with vehicles of 2004/3.

And I hope for Red Orchestra 3 will follow!

Stompa

Arcane
UT after 3 and done by current Epic? Probably will be multiplat and shit.
:keepmyjewgold:

msxyz

Augur
There is only one Unreal Tournament, and it came out in '99.
QFT.

Funny how Epic started using the UT games as showcase for their engines when most of the hardcore crowd usually ran UT with the graphic detail set to the minimum in order not to be distracted by fancy effect during multiplayer and gain a few more frames per second.

I've many good memories about UT. I spent hundreds of hours I spent playing that game and probably even more modding it (I even become admin of a forum/community site dedicated to it).

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
This can only end well...in this advanced stage of the decline it will probably be the first UE4 browser/ Facebook F2P game.

Would be happy to be proven very wrong though.

nil

Cipher
Unreal Tournament finally gets ported to Android an iOS. The classic that started it all returns with reworked controls, optimized for touch devices.

Cazzeris

Of course, it has a sequel, but it isn't called just "Unreal Tournament".

I'll bet this game will be called just "Unreal Tournament" because Epic Games doesn't want to confuse Call of Derpy fans with a game called "Unreal Tournament 2015 Gold GOTY Edition" or something like that.

Sadly it will be much more difficult to find good old custom maps for UT99 if you write "Unreal Tournament" and Google only gives you Unreal Tournament 2015 results.

deuxhero

Arcane
Just remembered, Bleszinski is gone from Epic now. No idea what exactly he did for the older games, but the fantasticly stupid shit his been saying since he retirement tells me it's a small glimmer of hope.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
You guys are forgetting Unreal Championship!

UC2 was very fun and original. A shame it was released only on consoles.

I liked all UTs. That is, 2003 could be forgotten for all I care, as it was just a curiosity to get bored with after ten or twenty hours of gameplay. 2004 and 3 were good though, just as original one, but their strengths and weaknesses lied elsewhere.

Meh. I never liked UT2004 with its weak weapons and its slow movement. The only things worth checking out were the amazing ONS and AS maps, and the killer soundtrack. I liked UT3 a lot more, but it does have its flaws as well. VCTF and Warfare were great modes, and the weapons were back to their usual deadliness, especially the flak cannon.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Don't worry, it'll be dumbed down since "modern gamers" can't into strafing and jumping.

And it'll be F2P. You pay $20 to get your redeemer, or grind for two months for it.

DraQ

Arcane
Oh man, I sure hope they return to the 99 roots. Please.
This.

Like everyone's already said, I want it more like UT99.

Also, I know it's fun to hate on UT3, but 2004's slow and floaty movement was the true decline of the series. UT3's failings were in other areas.
Mainly being rough around the edges, having few maps and shitty GoW-like derpery like nu-Kralls and the like.

I actually enjoyed vehicle and most of weapon design.

Anyway, Epic should get back to its roots, revive Unreal aesthetics (UT3 weapons were a bit of a step in that direction, actually), and make a proper Unreal game. Actually it would be awesome to finally see a proper sequel to Unreal, with added multiplayer mode rivalling the old UT - like what the first UT was meant to be, actually.
You guys are forgetting Unreal Championship!

BLAM.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom