Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Ultima-Inspired Project: Dungeons of Chaos - now on PC

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I have a technical question – do you use a scripting language like Lua for AI / items etc.?

VolkerE

Educated
I have a technical question – do you use a scripting language like Lua for AI / items etc.?

no. If my coding would be treated like an IT system it would be referred to as 'legacy'. I am versed in TurboPascal,Delphi,Javascript and have found it reasonably simple to adapt to objective C. But have not added anything more sophisticated than that. For the game engine I use Cocos2D with KoboldTouch on top (which is unfortunately now longer supported or developed).

An item for example is simply a NSMutableArray with about 60 entries, some strings like item class '2h blade', some integers like minimum_pierce_damage. I have simply built very basic elements on top of each other, which is fine for a turn-based game as long as you don't have memory leaks, it works even with mediocre coding skills.

VolkerE

Educated
The Dev again here. Have taken the advice above and created it in Unity, from scratch. Will be released for Android and iOS of any screen size in about 3-4 weeks from now. My blog has some preview screenshots etc but it will be 90% like my old iPad version plus lots of UI and other improvements I did along he journey.
Volker

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Will the font size be a bit bigger, I found it awfully tiny sometimes (also the buttons)?

VolkerE

Educated
All the UI elements are re-designed. There is always a challenge trying to display information on an iPhone 5C, but a phone the size of a Samsung GS3 or HTC One I see no issues with the font sizes. And I also simplified a lot and sometimes use icons where previously I may have had text buttons. See a few examples here (map view zoomed in, character screen):

zoomed-in-map-view.jpg

main-character-view.jpg

VolkerE

Educated
Hope you liked it? I have re-written most of the code as well and put in more options, more autofight tactics, a LOT more bug-proof fencing and a lot more visuals as well. Projectiles in combat now actually fly around, are direction-oriented etc.

This dragon fires it at short distance, but you can still see how it works (animated gif):

dragon-throwing-fire-ball.gif

And here is an example of how you can interact with your surroundings without having to use the buttons: TALK, OPEN, USE appear as clickable overlays on tiles if you are adjacent:

secret-treasure.gif

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Yes, I did, though I didn't finish it. Will give the re-release a new try though. I like the clickable overlays!

VolkerE

Educated
Since I did it all in Unity, a PC version is not far away in principle. However everything is designed for touch control at the moment so it would need a lot of work getting the UI to feel right. A PC user just expects mouseover text, dragable objects, keyboard shortcuts etc.

And I need to ensure you can't modify the savegame in the registry...

vonAchdorf

Arcane
It's a futile task to try to prevent "hacking" a SP game. If they cannot change the registry, there is always Cheat Engine for in-memory "hacks".

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Can you explain the need for Phone Identity+Status, Network Connection Information, Network Status+Full Network Access for your game?

VolkerE

Educated
Can you explain the need for Phone Identity+Status, Network Connection Information, Network Status+Full Network Access for your game?

haven't configured anything to that effect. is it coming up with such requirements? I will see if I can disable that.

VolkerE

Educated

haven't configured anything to that effect. is it coming up with such requirements? I will see if I can disable that.

found the problem:

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/987433/read-phone-state-permission-since-51.html

this may not be easy to fix but give me a week or two and I should be able to get rid of them.

VolkerE

Educated

found the problem:

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/987433/read-phone-state-permission-since-51.html

this may not be easy to fix but give me a week or two and I should be able to get rid of them.

Actually found a workaround to remove these unwanted permissions. doing some playtesting now to check everything still works fine, so could be a permission-free version tomorrow! thanks for pointing that out to me!

VolkerE

Educated
All done, permission-free version online and running fine. Please let me know if anything else comes up and if you like the game!

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Playing it at the moment and having a fun time, but whats up with the long empty dungeons? I'm exploring the deep mines now and most of the little paths are pointless. Or maybe my perception skill is too low.

Also, I think I found a bug, after a random battle my mage learned a spell named "Mystery 311". I can even use it in battle, but it has no effect, icon or description.

Screenshot:

WmtMDqe.jpg

Last edited:

VolkerE

Educated
Playing it at the moment and having a fun time, but whats up with the long empty dungeons? I'm exploring the deep mines now and most of the little paths are pointless. Or maybe my perception skill is too low.

Also, I think I found a bug, after a random battle my mage learned a spell named "Mystery 311". I can even use it in battle, but it has no effect, icon or description.

Screenshot:

the deep mines in the brown forest in the north? yes they are fairly empty. the deep mine in southwest is not...

very curious to find the issue with the spell you found, first time ever I saw that. Thanks for letting me know!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom