Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Total War game: Warhammer

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How anyone has the stamina to complete a Mortal Empires playthrough is beyond me, the turn times alone make me contemplate suicide.
Even with the faster end turn times mod?
It doesn't speed up the turns themselves, but the AI won't initiate diplomacy with you so you can at least do something else while you wait :lol:

Last edited:

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
How anyone has the stamina to complete a Mortal Empires playthrough is beyond me, the turn times alone make me contemplate suicide.
Even with the faster end turn times mod?
It doesn't speed up the turns themselves, but the AI won't initiate diplomacy with you so you can at least do something else while you wait :lol:

I tried it. But even without diplomacy offers turns take forever, compared to a Vortex campaign at least. Reading the Codex for 50% of playtime is not my ideal of fun.

Addendum: CTT makes autoresolve yield worse results than vanilla (from what I've seen so far), sometimes dramatically so. Which might become a problem in the long run if you don't want to babysit every battle.

Get this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1158795305

This also fixes the problem of random unit deaths.

I'll give it a shot. No more suicide Dryads hopefully.

Seethe

Arbiter
I've been thinking to get one of these Warhammer games. Is the first or second considered better?

TWW2 is the better game, but the Vortex campaign is pure ass. Get both, because that way you can play the content of both games into the second game, which includes both maps stitched together, and the factions themselves. If you want to play the DLC races, you need to buy the DLCs as well, though. You don't need both games installed, just the second one.

Do you guys actually finish your TW campaigns? How many turns do you play?

I only played one campaign to the end, that was with the Dwarfs, when the game was just released. I started a second with the Vampire Cunts but I grew bored when it was evident I'm powerful enough to obliterate whoever I decide. Also, how is the AI cheating and spawning armies out of nowhere, is it still widespread?

Depends. It took me a lot to finish the Teclis campaign, because of how hard the start position is. It took me ages to gather enough resources for the rituals, around 250 turns. The Tomb Kings campaign is much faster, finished it in 130 or so. I always finish my TW campaigns.

The AI has money cheats and afaik it takes fewer turns for them to recruit units as well. That is not bad, the worst way the AI cheats is by knowing your position, by ignoring attrition and public order penalties. Chaos is still dumb, I still hope they get reworked some day, because they ruined the game by shoving in the stupid randomly spawning ritual armies of chaos from the Vortex campaign, into the Mortal Empire campaign.

Last edited:

Seethe

Arbiter
431c9586af.png

Oh no....

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That's quite the wait. So far there was no DLC that just added a campaign, right?

Seethe

Arbiter
That's quite the wait. So far there was no DLC that just added a campaign, right?

Tomb Kings, who have their own separate objectives in the Vortex, technically being a different campaign. There's gonna be another one by the end of this year, probably Southern Realms or Dogs of War?

Parabalus

Arcane

That moment when the DLC races have more content than the base ones.
The campaign pack better be amazing. And the 2019 Lord Pack better have Malus. Fucking. Edgeblade.

Also, does campaign back equate to new faction? I am trying to recall if that has ever not been the case.

The next lord pack should be skaven vs lizards. I want muh jezzrails!

Campaign pack always gave new races, the lord packs gave new factions.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Agreed, Skaven and Lizardmen need some love.

Still holding out for Malus though.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
We need WH3. Basically CA become unable to fight its way out of paper bag.

Parabalus

Arcane
Finished my first ME campaign today, with Chaos. Fun all in all, 130ish turns total, but felt more like a cleaning service for Skyre and VCs, since they just repopulated everything after my razings.

Highlights were Archaeon twoshooting Tyrion and Sarthoreal with the Sword of Khaine and Sigvald 1v3 Thorgrim, Grombindal and Ungrim.

There is so much stuff they could add that people would throw money at I'm incredibly surprised/disappointed there will be such a DLC drought. Even without any of the "speculative" races just throwing lords out until there is 5 of each WH2 race seems like a sure thing.

I wonder why they decided on such a slow pace.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Finished my first ME campaign today, with Chaos. Fun all in all, 130ish turns total, but felt more like a cleaning service for Skyre and VCs, since they just repopulated everything after my razings.

Highlights were Archaeon twoshooting Tyrion and Sarthoreal with the Sword of Khaine and Sigvald 1v3 Thorgrim, Grombindal and Ungrim.

There is so much stuff they could add that people would throw money at I'm incredibly surprised/disappointed there will be such a DLC drought. Even without any of the "speculative" races just throwing lords out until there is 5 of each WH2 race seems like a sure thing.

I think it is a combination of the Norsca debacle and CA becoming more ambitious with the DLC. If I recall correctly, before TW2 launched there were discussions of lord packs and one campaign pack. Now, we have a second campaign pack on the horizon, which could be Vampire Coast or Araby. Furthermore, the recently added lords each have a new mechanics (Blood Night, Defender of Ulthuan), spells, etc.

If the content is good, then I can't complain.

Parabalus

Arcane

I think it is a combination of the Norsca debacle and CA becoming more ambitious with the DLC. If I recall correctly, before TW2 launched there were discussions of lord packs and one campaign pack. Now, we have a second campaign pack on the horizon, which could be Vampire Coast or Araby. Furthermore, the recently added lords each have a new mechanics (Blood Night, Defender of Ulthuan), spells, etc.

Ye, I guess I'm spoiled by the quality since I started with WH2. Playing some of the WH1 factions in ME they do seem a step below.

Would be nice to see Vampire Coast or Araby, but I think the strongest contender is Dogs of War or Southren Realms. Might even be all of them, since W3 doesn't seem likely before Fall 2020?

I just hope Thanquol makes it in :bounce:.

Seethe

Arbiter

Ye, I guess I'm spoiled by the quality since I started with WH2. Playing some of the WH1 factions in ME they do seem a step below.

Would be nice to see Vampire Coast or Araby, but I think the strongest contender is Dogs of War or Southren Realms. Might even be all of them, since W3 doesn't seem likely before Fall 2020?

I just hope Thanquol makes it in :bounce:.

I am pretty positive that the DLC will be Clan Skryre themed, which means Ikkit Claw. However, Andy Hall did hint that he will make it in.

I am almost done with the last Vortex campaign with Dark Elves. I like Skaven the most thematically, but Dark Elves were definitely the most fun to me. Can't wait to move unto ME, because I hated the dumb Vortex rituals.

Seethe

Arbiter

Also I can tell you why they are moving so slowly. They are spreading themselves too thin. Warhammer 3, Rome 2 DLC, Thrones of Britannia slowed them down, the Norsca mess slowed them down, Three Kingdoms slows them down, and it was also delayed til spring of 2019. The new shooter game slows them down as well. The biggest culprit here is Jack Lusted and his dumb Attila reskin called "Thrones of Britannia" that no one cares about, and that tanked severely. Huge mismanagement of resources.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Hypothetically, how do you all think Dogs of War would work? Similar to the Tomb Kings, the new campaign does not have to interact with the Vortex rituals. Personally, if CA adds Dogs of War, then I would expect the inclusion of Vampire Coast to serve as the antagonist (Luthor Harkon). Dogs of War would have Sartosa as the start location, whereas Vampire Coast would have....Vampire Coast.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Hypothetically, how do you all think Dogs of War would work? Similar to the Tomb Kings, the new campaign does not have to interact with the Vortex rituals. Personally, if CA adds Dogs of War, then I would expect the inclusion of Vampire Coast to serve as the antagonist (Luthor Harkon). Dogs of War would have Sartosa as the start location, whereas Vampire Coast would have....Vampire Coast.
Can Dogs of War work without navy and ship to ship combat?

Seethe

Arbiter
I have finished my Dark Elf campaign. Easily the strongest and even funnest campaign from Warhammer 2 imo. The slave income is insane, the buffs for the lords at level 10 are fun, Malekith is a killing machine, shades are now one of my favorite units in the game. If only the Black Arks weren't shit, but still, really well designed overall. Also the cauldron of blood is cool to look at.

I might give Choices and Consequences a chance. Is it worth? I am interested a lot in the skill trees, because they aren't simply "put one more point for 5% more health" kind of crap. And the unit caps are a fantastic addition

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
If only the Black Arks weren't shit, but still, really well designed overall.

Aren't the Black Arks pretty insane? They give like +60% loot after battle, and the abilities kill like half a unit at least per use.
I just park them somewhere safe and enjoy, with Ulthuan being squished in ME it works nicely.

Also I can tell you why they are moving so slowly. They are spreading themselves too thin. Warhammer 3, Rome 2 DLC, Thrones of Britannia slowed them down, the Norsca mess slowed them down, Three Kingdoms slows them down, and it was also delayed til spring of 2019. The new shooter game slows them down as well. The biggest culprit here is Jack Lusted and his dumb Attila reskin called "Thrones of Britannia" that no one cares about, and that tanked severely. Huge mismanagement of resources.

Ye, it's hugely disappointing, would expect/hope for someone to get fired for it. ToB likely made less money than a random W2 DLC would have.

Can Dogs of War work without navy and ship to ship combat?
It would have to, because I was under the impression CA had no plans for naval combat.

Something about infringing on the Man O' War game/license. It looks pretty shovelware though.

I would be happy with just a "duke it out at an island" option, this forced autoresolve stuff is retarded.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
I have finished my Dark Elf campaign. Easily the strongest and even funnest campaign from Warhammer 2 imo. The slave income is insane, the buffs for the lords at level 10 are fun, Malekith is a killing machine, shades are now one of my favorite units in the game. If only the Black Arks weren't shit, but still, really well designed overall. Also the cauldron of blood is cool to look at.

I might give Choices and Consequences a chance. Is it worth? I am interested a lot in the skill trees, because they aren't simply "put one more point for 5% more health" kind of crap. And the unit caps are a fantastic addition
I think C&C is worth a try. The skill trees can be a little jarring at first, because there are so many more skills and it requires scrolling to see everything. Typically, the skills are organized in groups of three or sometimes two, and picking one skill locks out the other options. Here are a couple of examples for Malekith:
  1. Late in the skill tree for Malekith, you must choose between Seraphon (dragon mount for Malekith) or Kindle Hatred. Kindle Hatred is a constant aura that grants 20% armor piercing and Weapon Strength. While Kindle Hatred may appear like the superior choice, I have had to heavily lean on Malekith and Lords to win battles, especially when the AI brings 3 stacks and ambush me. Units have much higher health pools in C&C, and magic/lords can perform most of the heavy lifting. It is not uncommon for my Witch Elves/Executioners to have 50-80 kills, while my lords have hundreds of kills.
  2. Early in the tree, you must choose between Stealth, Prepared, or a Banner for Darkshards. Stealth grants stalk to Darkshards, movement speed bonus at rank 4, and 25% to armor piercing values at rank 7. Prepared grants Darkshards 15% range, vigor resistance at rank 4, and 35% ammunition at rank 7. The banner grants either 20% ward save or magic save (I forget which) to a unit.
  3. Another late skill tree decision is between Warleader, which grants 10% upkeep reduction for all armies and other bonus, and [forget the name] that grants 50% captives and 100% bonus to gold for sacking settlements.

One criticism (or two) is that the battles can become Herohammer, if that makes sense. Lords with magic can determine a fight. I had a battle with 3-4 skavens stacks against my one army, and the only reason I won is because Malekith's Gaze of Malice spell could nearly wipe out closely packed skaven units. Magic can be overpowered, but the spell costs appear much higher as well, so you have to choose between buffs/debuffs is a long fight or damage spells to end a fight early.

Also, auto-resolve can be dangerous, even when you have 90% victory rate. Replenishment is very low in the beginning for Dark Elves, and if you lose a high ranked unit, the replacement unit does not instantly obtain the Lord buffs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom