Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Total War game: Warhammer

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Interestingly enough Denuvo worked out really well for TWW. It's only been cracked recently, after its update cycle was already over.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Any news of CA getting clue and removing Denuvo? Even ME4 is Denuvo free now, and EA is called villain of the week.

I assume EA backed out of their Denuvo deal because using it costs money over a period of time for support and stuff, something Andromeda may not have justified enough financially with sales. You know very well they couldn't care less about their customers.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I'm honestly impressed with the Norsca faction. Between this DLC and the Southern Realms Mod, you have the entire map to play as.

LizardWizard

Cipher
I'm honestly impressed with the Norsca faction. Between this DLC and the Southern Realms Mod, you have the entire map to play as.

Also, looks like CA is giving away 30 regiments of renown for the factions that don't have access and Norsca actually looks reasonably priced while not forcing people into a mini-campaign that you'll probably won't even touch.

Never though Sega Assembly partnered with Games fucking Workshop would be less scummy than Paradox but here we are.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My god, late game is infuriating.
At least as Empire.

I'm getting annihilated by 80% chariot Norsca armies. Completely impossible to deal with given a standard well-rounded Empire army. They just roflstomp through everything that is not cavalry.
So you gotta have at least one full-cavalry army just defending your northern border (since there is no way to destroy Norsca for good if you also have other battle fronts). Which costs a shitload, even with almost all Empire provinces conquered.

All other enemies have been fun to fight as they come with well-rounded armies as well. But this chariot spam is absurd. Especially given that the game tells you it would be a fair fight. Fair fight my ass.

Edit:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just to check some strategies I saved before such a battle, and every single strategy fails. Chariots are too fast to outride reliably (and the constant pausing makes me rage anyway so I pause as rarely as humanly possible) and of course artillery doesn't really hit them.
Ugh.

So I just did a quick-resolve and won the battle with every unit surviving. On a mostly-infantry army against mostly chariots.
Godlike auto-resolve :lol:

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
thesheeep Yeah, chariot spam Norsca is a huge complaint. I'm hoping the Norsca update fixes it / adds army composition diversity.

Try using an army of steam tanks to just plow through their cities, if it's not too expensive that is.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Crack when?

It's not old. Old crack works for old version of game without Norsca. We need both new crack for Norsca, and crack for Warhammer 2.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
My god, late game is infuriating.
At least as Empire.

I'm getting annihilated by 80% chariot Norsca armies. Completely impossible to deal with given a standard well-rounded Empire army. They just roflstomp through everything that is not cavalry.
So you gotta have at least one full-cavalry army just defending your northern border (since there is no way to destroy Norsca for good if you also have other battle fronts). Which costs a shitload, even with almost all Empire provinces conquered.

All other enemies have been fun to fight as they come with well-rounded armies as well. But this chariot spam is absurd. Especially given that the game tells you it would be a fair fight. Fair fight my ass.

Edit:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just to check some strategies I saved before such a battle, and every single strategy fails. Chariots are too fast to outride reliably (and the constant pausing makes me rage anyway so I pause as rarely as humanly possible) and of course artillery doesn't really hit them.
Ugh.

So I just did a quick-resolve and won the battle with every unit surviving. On a mostly-infantry army against mostly chariots.
Godlike auto-resolve :lol:
Git gut. I had massive fight with Chaos because I did Vampires as a blind playtrought. Fought armies one chariot after another with three surviving cities, and still by extreme skill won, and before I was able to consolidate, empire declared war on me.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Chariots are good when micro'd hard and the AI can do it better than humans, so they become much better in its hands. There are some quirks to recruitment that seem impossible to get rid of, like the AI recruting endless amounts of heroes. I've seen Empire and Wood Elves with 5 or 6 heroes in one stack even WITH SFO, which already reduces hero numbers.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Anyone else try out the Steel Faith Overhaul mod? I have enjoyed it thoroughly, and perhaps had my best campaign moments with it. My size 215 Bretonnia army fought and won against a 1,200 horde of 3 vampire armies. It was a huge rush, and for a brief moment, I forgot how much I got ripped off by the DLC.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Is it better than Radius? I liked the changes made in Radius (ability to have more armies due to decreased upkeep, modified building trees) since it made the game beefier, but I hate the unit mod because it just adds dozens of filler units and it makes a mess out of recruiting.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
SFO is the standard when it comes to TW:W modding.

And there's been an avalanche of compatibility patches with other popular mods in recent months.

A good playthrough for the Empire (modded):

- More Skillpoints mod (pick one, there are several)
- Better Camera Mod
- Campaign Map Overhaul
- Building Progression Icons Mod
- Home Region Movement Bonus Mod (10%)
- Rebanner
- Starting Traits Overhaul
- Mixxu's Empire of Man 2.0
- Mixxu's Empire of Man 2.0 for SFO Patch
- Steel Faith Overhaul
- Building Slots Overhaul Mod

Mixxu's EoM stuff is a matter of taste - it adds a lot of new units and unique buildings, and the patch balances them for SFO, but there are some weird overlaps. The patch is made by a third party. Still, it's fantastic for themed armies. You can put together a real Sigmarite army, for example. SFO + Mixxu do eliminate most of the holes in the Empire roster - for example, you have very high end, well armoured halberd units, as well as low tier anti-skirmisher cav. If you're a purist, that might be a problem.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Is it better than Radius? I liked the changes made in Radius (ability to have more armies due to decreased upkeep, modified building trees) since it made the game beefier, but I hate the unit mod because it just adds dozens of filler units and it makes a mess out of recruiting.
I have not tried Radius, but from what I heard the answer is yes. Relative to Radius, it added only a few units to each faction. In the future, however, they will have a submod that will remove the new units. In addition to new units, it re-balanced existing units, lord traits, magic, building upgrades, economy, and Edicts. For example, Bretonnia's cavalry (especially late game) were rebalanced to be stronger, but smaller in squad size.

Personally, Bretonnia with the Steel Faith Mod was my favorite campaign so far. Expendable peasant lines and back-to-back cavalry charges made for fun battles.

Edit: Honestly, playing Total Warhammer makes me a little depressed. I was never much into Warhammer Fantasy, but now that I have gotten a taste of it, I can see that it was such a fun setting. A setting that is now dead. Worse yet, I especially like Bretonnia in all its insanity. Generations of nobles and Knights going on suicidal, impossible quests to receive the blessing of the Lady. Those that survive become supernatural killing machines. The end result was a borderline eugenics experiment overseen by an elven goddess.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How many battles in the campaign do you actually fight manually?

When I started, I easily did 80%+ of battles manually.
But by now, I do maybe 10-20%, if that much.

They just take a shitload of time to do, so I want to make sure I don't spend any time on battles I can't win anyway or battles that simply don't need my manual attention. The loading times don't exactly help motivating me to play the battles either.
And almost all battles that happen to me fall into either category - plus the above mentioned impossible battles that auto-resolve wins for you due to funny auto resolve calculations.
Optimizing easily won battles to have less losses seems a waste as I am recovering/recruiting quick enough.

What's left are the very few battles where equal armies meet, campaign missions or battles where the game suggests I will lose, but I know I can win rather easily (usually siege defenses).

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
SFO is much lighter in that sense. It only adds a few choice units like dismounted Blood Dragons or Tzaan/Khorn/Pesti/Slaangors.

Personally I wouldn't play the game without SFO anymore, frankly.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

That sounds about right. I remember my first Chaos campaign, trying to wipe out the Empire while these fuckers kept recolonizing provinces and I had to run after them, autoresolving everything.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron

They just take a shitload of time to do, so I want to make sure I don't spend any time on battles I can't win anyway or battles that simply don't need my manual attention. The loading times don't exactly help motivating me to play the battles either.
And almost all battles that happen to me fall into either category - plus the above mentioned impossible battles that auto-resolve wins for you due to funny auto resolve calculations.
Optimizing easily won battles to have less losses seems a waste as I am recovering/recruiting quick enough.

What's left are the very few battles where equal armies meet, campaign missions or battles where the game suggests I will lose, but I know I can win rather easily (usually siege defenses).
In the beginning of each campaign, 80-90% of my battles are manual, but once I get a deathblob and better recovery it becomes more like 10-20%. Another reason is that battles increasingly shift from open field fights to sieges. In my last Bretonnia playthrough, I had 2 Hippogrpyh knights, 4 pegasi knights, 2 leveled paladins, Louen Lanceour, and other basic infantry/cavalry, and none of the AI wanted to fight me. Hence, the only fights I had were sieges up until the Errantry War quest. The only exception is when the northern tribes had to pull back all of their armies (3+) to stop me from razing the last of their cities. Even then, I had Louen's army backed up by the Fay Enchantress (peasant and foot knight horde army).

Once TW:W2 comes out, I may try a playthrough where I do not abuse autowin resolve.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Hooookay. An hour isn't much to really get into the meat of a new faction but I do like the Norscans. For one thing, Norsca isn't an empty shithole anymore that nobody visits. The faction's economy... well it exists but it doesn't help much. Town center provide like 30 bucks a turn, so you have to raid and sack like a horde but you aren't as squishy when it comes to manpower. Basic marauders are 90 bucks so you can spam them. They're light infantry but surprisingly hardy. Wulfrik and tech can give them buffs. I've mostly fought other Norscans so far but I've found no units outright useless.
From what I've seen, I expect the Norsca AI to be slightly less retarded about chariots and marauder spam now and it won't flood the northern Empire with shitstacks, giving the human factions more of a chance.

Oh and by the way, Seafang, Wulfrik's ship, is an actual ship on the battle map:
v5BhCYX.jpg

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
There isn't that much lore about Norsca, CA seems to have made up a lot of new stuff. Fimir for example are not-Broos mentioned in the first edition of WHF if I recall correctly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom