Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Total War game: Warhammer

A horse of course

A week ago CA claimed this was impossible.

Three days ago modders discovered how to insert custom siege maps into the campaign via hex editing.

303noOJ.jpg

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Every single assembly kit CA has put out has been a pile of shit that never gets fixed. I tried making some custom maps for Attila and whenever it was more complex than just a massive hole in the ground the editor would crash when trying to export.

with these dlcs infested games you go either full retard or not at all, mostly because most of the time those games were built as a whole and then divided into further payments. makes no sense buying a crippled product.

It's like Blood Bowl 2 was on sale for ~10€ not long ago. Getting the rest of the game was 50€ more. Such discounts.

You have to wait for "GOTY"/whatever editions with all the DLC to get any real discount.
That's the thing though, CA doesn't do GOTY ("complete") editions anymore.

RuySan

Augur
I'm still on the fence on the Humble Bundle Deal. I don't play any TW game since Medieval 2, and although I really liked it, battles sometimes took way too much time, specially sieges.

The warhammer licence means nothing to me, so that's not really a plus (or a minus for that matter).

A horse of course

If you're on the fence you should definitely wait for a deal on a more fleshed-out iteration of the game (e.g. in 1 year or so), as its strengths are really the licence and faction diversity, not depth of mechanics or strategy.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
If you're on the fence you should definitely wait for a deal on a more fleshed-out iteration of the game (e.g. in 1 year or so), as its strengths are really the licence and faction diversity, not depth of mechanics or strategy.

Well this current 'Humble Bundle Deal' is as good as deal as it's gonna get for a while I'm sure. You get the game for $12 via Humble Monthly.

Much like you, RuySan, I don't give a shit about the Warhammer franchise and I haven't really played much TW since Rome 1/Medieval 2 either. Got 7 hours in Rome II, 29 in Shogun II and 0 in Attila. And I still went ahead and picked this game up for $12. Now I can't be assed to play it. It was only 12 bucks, but still 12 bucks wasted.

A horse of course

Well this current 'Humble Bundle Deal' is as good as deal as it's gonna get for a while I'm sure. You get the game for $12 via Humble Monthly.

Much like you, RuySan, I don't give a shit about the Warhammer franchise and I haven't really played much TW since Rome 1/Medieval 2 either. Got 7 hours in Rome II, 29 in Shogun II and 0 in Attila. And I still went ahead and picked this game up for $12. Now I can't be assed to play it. It was only 12 bucks, but still 12 bucks wasted.

Yes, it's a great deal on the base game. We're talking about a title that already has 70 dollars of DLC last I checked, and probably at least 2 more sets before the second installment.

edit: based on bong prices

Last edited by a moderator:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Went for the humble bundle deal. Well, the game is not for me. The engine is terrible- still the same messy epilepsy inducing shit, and the tutorial dude never ever shuts up. Glad it was only 10 bucks. It just reminds me that I could be playing the superior Total War Medieval 2 and all the great mods for that game instead.

Last edited:

A horse of course

You could try the BotET mod, which is supposed to be a less scripted, more stable Call of Warhammer. I tried it a few months ago and it still crashed like a motherfucker, though.

Ludovic

Valravn Games
Developer
A week ago CA claimed this was impossible.

To be fair, something that is possible to do via hex editing can still be a pain to code depending on how messed up the codebase is. It's also not uncommon for programmers to simply claim something is not possible because they can't be arsed to do it and/or think it is a stupid feature. Like how in WoW for years changing the backpack size was claimed to be a major technical obstacle. Then one day a new programmer looked at the code and apparently it was an almost trivial task. I've experienced colleagues first hand that are very liberal with the technobabble in order to make sure they work on what they want, and avoid unpleasant tasks.

A horse of course

PC Gnomer stream has been pretty shit so far. Some quest battle footage for Buttonia and Isabella, not much else.

A horse of course

Hey guys, long time lurker.

I just came back from the PCGamerWeekender where TotalWar was showcasing its new Brettonia DLC. Anyway, during the event they showed a video with information on Brettonia in the campaign. They might have already shared most of the info here, but I thought it would not hurt to share.

Here is a list of all the things I remembered:

-3 starting locations: Leon in Brettonia, Alberic in Bordelaux, Fey Enchantress in Carcassone

-Each one seems to start with 2 regions each, a full province representing their territory. A nice change from the start with a single region we've had so far (Poor Empire suffers so much from it)

-Green Knight is a hero, but cannot be recruited. Instead he shows up randomly and stays with your faction for a few turns then is gone.

-2 main recruitment buildings in the 'red' slot for towns that are focused on unlocking knight troops. For peasants, most are recruited from the 'infrastructure' buildings

-Technology tree divided in 2 -> economy and knightly order, delving into one will bring penalties to your campaign related to the other. Invest into only one if you're ok with the penalties, or invest in each in a steady fashion, your call.

-Brettonia is known for having its forests and the nearby mountain infested with orcs, so they get events focused on that, such as a reduction in growth because off-screen orcs raided their lands

-All Brettonia faction are somewhat friendly with each other, so you don't have to go to to war with each other. Diplomacy is meant to be easy with each other and confederation comes later on once you've researched the technology for it.

-If you do go to war with Brettoni factions, the others will not like it one bit. Brettoni civil wars come with penalties, but you can do it anyway if you don't care about them

-New units that were not shown in the stream that I remember: Royal Hypogryph knights, Royal Pegasus knights (better version of regular pegasus knights), variant of Trebuchet that throws magic projectiles blessed by the Lady herself. There might have been more but they were either shown in the stream, or I forgot them

That's most of what I remember if anything else comes to mind I'll add it to the comments.

Edit:

Almost forgot, Brettonia factions get a new bar similar to the grudges for dwarves. This bar represents your chivalrous nature, and the more chilvarous you are, the more it is filled. With each rank of chivalry you attain, you get campaign and battle bonuses.

Edit2:

Brettonia gets access to 3 lores of magic: Heavens, Life, and Beasts.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
RE: Brettonia, why the fuck are they making the Bret factions friendly to one another? That leaves, what, Mousillon and Marienburg for territorial expansion? And with all the major factions starting with two regions, everyone will be rolling a 20-stack by Turn 10 (except the human player - that poor bastard - who'll actually try to maintain a reasonable income). Don't get me wrong, I like that they're making more minor factions playable by spreading the LLs, but where are the natural avenues for Bret expansion? Every other faction has low hanging fruit nearby to get their early game economy rolling (with the understandable exception of the W-Elves).

A horse of course

RE: Brettonia, why the fuck are they making the Bret factions friendly to one another? That leaves, what, Mousillon and Marienburg for territorial expansion? And with all the major factions starting with two regions, everyone will be rolling a 20-stack by Turn 10 (except the human player - that poor bastard - who'll actually try to maintain a reasonable income). Don't get me wrong, I like that they're making more minor factions playable by spreading the LLs, but where are the natural avenues for Bret expansion? Every other faction has low hanging fruit nearby to get their early game economy rolling (with the understandable exception of the W-Elves).

In the stream, it showed their campaign objective as winning the final Errantry War, which is triggered by reaching the max level of Chivalry and presumably fighting a major Quest Battle similar to The Fall of Man from the Beastmen campaign. They talked about how the player can essentially turtle and invade the Badlands and/or Norsca to generate Chivalry, whilst their research tree showed Confederation being locked behind "Heraldry of X", which basically gives a huge relations bonus with the target faction when unlocked. The devs mentioned that Bretonnian factions "don't really fight each other", though in the map flyover at the start of the campaign the advisor warns that Duke Alberic is a wildcard, so maybe Bordeleaux can potentially end up filling a similar role to Middenheim as an early/mid subfaction antagonist. I noticed some of the later unlocks, such as "United Bretonnia", give ridiculous buffs like +50/+100 to relations with Empire and Dwarf factions, so it seems the Bretonnia campaign revolves around securing the Bretonni lands and teaming up with other "Order" factions to fight Orcs and Chaos.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm just looking at greenskin player who is using catapults in the valley, and spotting by an unit on opposite hill, and shooting over hill at dwarves (which can't see him directly because there is a slope of hill between them) and massacred them. Now when his catapults ran out of ammo. He dismounted it's crew, which were armed by daggers, and decided to use them as a shock troops against disorganized heavily bombarded dwarves.

Instead of attacking with them like a retard, he used more armored troops to tie enemies, and then sneaked them to attack from behind where theirs daggers actually mattered.

103 kills on one catapult, 71 on the other.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
In the stream, it showed their campaign objective as winning the final Errantry War, which is triggered by reaching the max level of Chivalry and presumably fighting a major Quest Battle similar to The Fall of Man from the Beastmen campaign. They talked about how the player can essentially turtle and invade the Badlands and/or Norsca to generate Chivalry, whilst their research tree showed Confederation being locked behind "Heraldry of X", which basically gives a huge relations bonus with the target faction when unlocked. The devs mentioned that Bretonnian factions "don't really fight each other", though in the map flyover at the start of the campaign the advisor warns that Duke Alberic is a wildcard, so maybe Bordeleaux can potentially end up filling a similar role to Middenheim as an early/mid subfaction antagonist. I noticed some of the later unlocks, such as "United Bretonnia", give ridiculous buffs like +50/+100 to relations with Empire and Dwarf factions, so it seems the Bretonnia campaign revolves around securing the Bretonni lands and teaming up with other "Order" factions to fight Orcs and Chaos.

Oh great.

So Brettonia can have all the conflict it wants, as long as it's in the Badlands and Norsca, where they can't capture settlements? All for the small, small price of sending your (likely) solitary stack halfway across the world.

I don't know, seems a bit under-cooked to me, but I guess we'll see in just over a week.

A horse of course

Oh great.

So Brettonia can have all the conflict it wants, as long as it's in the Badlands and Norsca, where they can't capture settlements? All for the small, small price of sending your (likely) solitary stack halfway across the world.

I don't know, seems a bit under-cooked to me, but I guess we'll see in just over a week.

I played a couple of unlocked Bretonnian factions (Mousillon and Bordeleaux iirc) pre-Beastmen, and that area of the map is probably the most defensible in the Old World. There are an extremely limited number of chokepoints to the more easterly lands, Estalia is too weak to resist a concerted invasion, and the Norscans typically prefer to target other areas - even when they do invade, it's almost always straight through Couronne. The biggest dangers will likely be Beastmen (who generally aren't that difficult for a player since you can keep an eye on when and where they've been vanishing to guess their current position) and genocidal expansionist Wood Elves if their AI isn't overhauled for this patch.

That said, it does sound like they're playing down Mallobaude's rebellion and the Bretonnian Dukedoms' expansion into Empire lands with these victory conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom