Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Total War game: Warhammer

A horse of course

Amber/outpost system is dumb. Should've made them a pseudo-horde faction forcing players to send armies on expeditions but only defend and conquer the ancient forests.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
I reckon it could be interesting. Finally brings Estalia and Tilea into mainstream play, properly. You could go an entire game without knowing whether or not they exist at all, as any faction.

And by encouraging expansionism you're forcing Elven players to 'interact' with those factions ASAP.

Lore-wise, obviously, it's problematic - luckily I don't really care.

A horse of course

I reckon it could be interesting. Finally brings Estalia and Tilea into mainstream play, properly. You could go an entire game without knowing whether or not they exist at all, as any faction.

And by encouraging expansionism you're forcing Elven players to 'interact' with those factions ASAP.

Lore-wise, obviously, it's problematic - luckily I don't really care.

Meh, I saw Estalia conquer their way through Bretonnia in a few campaigns. The issue isn't just lore but that they're a boring copypasta faction at the moment. Ideally Tilea and Estalia would be multiple small provinces that are constantly at war with themselves and suffer from massive public order issues (so that settlements frequently revolt/dead factions return), but are scripted to automatically declare war on any outside power that attacks one of them (which isn't truly lore or logic-friendly either but it's the best stopgap for TW mechanics). Never going to happen outside a mini-campaign where Tilea alone consists of like 5 different mini-factions, though.

A horse of course

Speaking of revolts I really miss the revolutions/counter-revolutions and mini-factions from Empire.

Aothan

Magister
are the skills shown at 1:50 available for multiplayer, and if so, how are skill points or skill advancement determined ?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I ain't waiting 6 hours for a twcenter link to load nigga
> Absolute Monarchy has NOBILITY class and LOWER class.

> Republic has MIDDLE class and LOWER class.

> Constitutional Monarchy has NOBILITY class and MIDDLE class.

In each society, one of the two classes functions as the Upper class and the other as the Lower class. This is important as each can be taxed independently, and be made happier or unhappier than the other by raising or lowering taxes.

Each social class produces a different type of government when they engage in a successful Revolution:

> When Nobility revolts, the new government will be an Absolute Monarchy.

> When the Middle class revolts, the resulting government will be a Constitutional Monarchy.

> When the Lower class revolts, a Republic results.
There you have relevant parts.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Finally played this game thanks to family sharing. The strategy map is pretty shit in this one and they cut corners so hard, there aren't even any reloading animations on any sort of gunners or artillery. They just shoot through eachother and stand there for a bit before the entire unit shoots again all at once rather than firing by rank. I was hoping this game would give a decent halberd and shot experience like the Medieval 2 mod but it doesn't deliver on that front at all since they removed formations. The game feels like a watered down Attila with tacked on magic and is ultra popular because GW has a fanbase with an even bigger case of stockholm syndrome than CA. Custom battles are somewhat entertaining though.

A horse of course

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War_WARHAMMER_Update_5

Disabled the Campaign AI's ability to enter "Forced March" stance after razing a settlement.

7EDzLLv.png

A horse of course

Red Duke at 31:00. They haven't made any announcements so he's probably just a quasi-Legendary Lord with no special quests or abilities, like Boris Todbringer. Not sure why he looks nothing like any of the official depictions.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Fuck me sideways because I'm going to buy it...

No shame, we all know that Games Workshop has been using chemicals to poison the ozone layer since the 80, which caused mass brain mutation in young people through the decades, making them totally unable to resist anything WH:B or WH:40K in any shape or form.

Plus they look way overpowered against some setup... :)

A horse of course

Only played about 20m of this after getting home from work. Tried the WE sub-campaign. has a pretty challenging start due to a number of hostile WE factions from the get go and fairly fragile starting position. Seems like WE don't have walls, just garrison units and garrison stat bonus buildings.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Yep. Very different campaign experience.

Even at their most fortified, your occupied regions will never have more than ten units. Admittedly, ten good units, but you're still getting whooped by anything reasonable. Losing a settlement is no big deal, though, apart from one small issue: amber is a headache without end. Go to -1 (which is very easy to do) and your units no longer replenish.

Most of the Elven high tier stuff (hawks, eagles, treemen, tree spirits etc) costs one amber - and you will be loathe to spend it on a unit. The stuff is just so precious for buildings and techs that units take a major backseat, because you can substitute in weaker units that don't cost the good stuff.

Unfortunately, money is also a problem. Your main settlement will never take in more than, say, ~1500 gold per turn. Even if you create every economy building Elves have access to. Meanwhile, the Dwarves have a province (I think it's Mt. Gunbad) that can be a) super secure and b) produce ~5,000 gold per turn. Instead of being economically strong, Elves get unit upkeep reductions through the Oak of Ages and the Wild Hunt mechanic. But because it will take you ~25 amber to max out the Oak (remember, 2x amber per capital region, 1x per minor settlement), you'll probably have 1-2 armies max even as deep as the 75th turn.

More specifically:

Elven Strengths:

- Very strong missile units, including both infantry and cavalry that can fire in any direction while moving/running;
- An amazing unit in the Wardancer, that can top 60 speed as infantry and hits like a hammer, while still being situational due to its poor armor;
- Stag cavalry that can top ~100 speed and is a terror with cycle charging;
- Super useful Hawk Riders who can rain powerful arrows down on melee units without fear of reprisal;
- Powerful, powerful heroes, who can massively upgrade their armies (the legendary lords, especially, who can access both the Melee Battle and the Ranged Battle upgrade chains);
- Great Tree Spirit unit, which can hold its own against almost anything

Weaknesses:

- Shithouse economy that will not get better until it doesn't matter;
- Amber is a major problem, and the ability to conquer anywhere is a marginal benefit considering how tough the early-mid game is going to be;
- Everything is made of glass. Everything. Just keep moving. Auto-resolve is going to be harsh on your lower tier units.

All in all, not the easiest campaign experience, but pretty satisfying. I had Skarsnik attack the Oak of Ages (only the garrison was present) and the initial auto-resolve balance of forces was 99% in his favor. With a little micro, I took 95 losses in exchange for his ~1,600. Glade Riders and Wild Riders accounted for ~900 of them.

Aothan

Magister
any impressions about Eagle units, would they complement most army compositions and general situations or are they more particular and situational ?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I had Skarsnik attack the Oak of Ages (only the garrison was present) and the initial auto-resolve balance of forces was 99% in his favor. With a little micro, I took 95 losses in exchange for his ~1,600. Glade Riders and Wild Riders accounted for ~900 of them.
Is the AI that bad or are you that good?

A horse of course

Played another hour of Season of Revelations this morning. AI cheats its ass off as usual. I can't even afford a single full 20-unit stack (and half my damn units are Shiternal Guard who die in three seconds to anything) with four settlements including the Oak of Ages and several trade deals whilst the vagabond one-settlement Elf province up north somehow has an entire stack of 50% waydancers (almost 200 gold per unit upkeep) and and 50% Glade Guard.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Neither, thesheep, the auto-calculator was being an idiot. Skarsnik and his random assortment of bullshit isn't beating a top tier Elven army. I think it's the fact he had artillery with him. And a giant spider. Neither are a serious problem for an army with as much mobility as the Elves.

Re: Eagles, they're very strong if you use them to fly over the enemy and then strike from behind and then cycle charge. Although there's a bit of overlap with the Forest Dragon in that role. Squishy, though.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Ed, yeah, it's basically one stack until at least the third level of the Oak of Ages... Defending a quarter of the map with one stack should be fun when the Norscans come calling...

I was really hoping the beast path infrastructure in minor settlements would allow some kind of Insta-travel instead of the ability to recruit any unit you have access to locally.

Pro-tip: DO the legendary item quests. 3x Amber per battle. That's 9x for Orion and x6 for Durthu. Durthu's quest is a two part battle for one item.

tabacila

Augur
The base game (and only the base game) is -25% off right now. Should I get it? Since they keep talking about doing 3 games for this setting I'm thinking we might not get a complete edition anytime soon...

sovijus

Educated
Was playing the old EB mod for the first Rome TW and then tried this... holy crap the battles are fast, units just melt in seconds, plus all those clicker abilities. I want my wargaming simulation back, not this spastic League of Legends shit. :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom