Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Total War game: Warhammer

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It would be better if they upped the scale of things, yes. Warhammer Fantasy Epic (Warmaster?) instead of Warhammer Fantasy Tabletob Battles.

DSCN6658.jpg

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Relic has fucked up DOW2. And I never liked W40K much either way.

No, I think CA will do a better job. Relic is fucked anyway if they're gonna be forced under the Ubisoft umbrella, just look what they did to Massive.

Misconnected

Savant
There's this old Warhammer game out there called Dark Omen. Is it any good?

Shadow of The Horny Ratgoat has a better campaign and a better selection of units to play with and against. But it also has a fucking awful interface. Quite possibly much, much worse than anything you've ever seen before. Disregarding the interface it's easily the best WFB game there ever was, and a really fucking great RTS with one of the best campaigns in RTS gaming. But really, the interface is like pure agony in digital form.

Dark Omen is pretty much SoTHR with vastly inferior game stuff in it and a vastly superior interface. On and, the story stuff is a not-totally-direct continuation of the first game.

If you can stand SoTHR, you should play them both in order. If you can't, I really don't blame you. But Dark Omen is still worth a playthrough.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I just watched some Dark Omen gameplay videos, and quite frankly, while the core gameplay looks quite compelling, the clunkiness and god-knows-if-this-shit-will-run-on-modern-hardware vibe puts it right now into the "When ITZ comes around and the INTERNETZ is dead, then yeah, then I'm gonna play it" category.

Diablo169

Arcane
If the IP is handled correctly this has potential, i'm more interested in what parts of the tabletop games rules and systems they try to adapt into the game itself.

Also that Shadow of the horned rat intro gave me the biggest nostalga boner, one of the first PC games i ever played. :D

dow2 is a console RTS. says it all.

A console RTS that was however never released for console. What does that say? I say it explains everything about why THQ is now bancrupt.

You can't really blame them though. Company of Heroes kept them afloat and they tried to model DoW2 along those lines.

Now they've managed to fuck up CoH2 as well, what with the 60 Kwanshekels price and all. As long as they give the 40k license to someone else than Bioware I can be happy.

Misconnected

Savant
I just watched some Dark Omen gameplay videos, and quite frankly, while the core gameplay looks quite compelling, the clunkiness and god-knows-if-this-shit-will-run-on-modern-hardware vibe puts it right now into the "When ITZ comes around and the INTERNETZ is dead, then yeah, then I'm gonna play it" category.

Look here. DO is fairly easy to get running on modern machines, the process doesn't take long at all, and while the interface is on the kludgy side, it is reasonably modern and perfectly straightforward. Really, don't be scared off by its age. If you're the least bit into this sort of thing, don't rob yourself of the experience. It really is that good a game.

I can appreciate why SoTHR might give you pause - or why its fucked interface might scar you for life - but DO is pretty simple to get working right, and it doesn't have an interface from the 9th Circle of Hell. Even with the tweaking you have to do to get it running on Win7x64, the whole process will almost certainly be quicker than waiting for Steam to install [recent FPS]. Seriously man... Rocket surgery, this is not ;)

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
If you're only going to play one, and are only interested in singleplayer, play SotHR. DO is great multiplayer, but the SP campaign is a turd.

I wish I could wind the clock back on GW to 1989.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I hope CA does not try to make this with a fucking PEGI 12 target group in mind. With fluffy Orcs and other comical WarCraft style art imitation.

Warhammer needs to embrace that dark, medieval and rotten (Crows, many crows!) style in order to catch my interest. And maybe a story-driven campaign. Warhammer: Total War won't cut it.

I hope CA does not try to make this with a fucking PEGI 12 target group in mind. With fluffy Orcs and other comical WarCraft style art imitation.

Warhammer needs to embrace that dark, medieval and rotten (Crows, many crows!) style in order to catch my interest. And maybe a story-driven campaign. Warhammer: Total War won't cut it.

:bro:

YES!

Hellraiser

Arcane

GW is notorious for making sure nobody fucks up the look of the setting so we're at least guaranteed not to see fluffy orcs.

Fart Master

Savant
Great potential for tons of race DLC. :thumbsup: Not that it matters since I'll be baying it after the piece of shit that was Shogun 2.

Misconnected

Savant
If that mashed up or mod or whatever screenshot is anything to go by, this will be unfun as hell.

Negative Nelly, is that you?

The screeny is of a mod and has nothing to do with Total Waaagh. Incidentally, the mod is finely distilled MP awesome.

Absalom

I'll be watching this, hopeful but expecting to be disappointed. Playing Mark of Chaos after loving SotHR and DO was a tragedy.

Psquit

Arcane
I'll be watching this, hopeful but expecting to be disappointed. Playing Mark of Chaos after loving SotHR and DO was a tragedy.
My god, mark of chaos is pure shit... the melee combat in that game is fucking awful, you can say whatver you want about dawn of war 2 but at least that game was playable an "fun".

oscar

Arcane
Call of Warhammer is damn awesome. If you've got Medieval II download it now. One of the few actually challenging TW experiences.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom