Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum New to CRPGs, starting Arcanum

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I disagree.
Fallout 1/2 interface wasn't much different from FO3 one.

You're an idiot.

Photokoi

Learned
You're an idiot.
Instead of calling someone an idiot and leaving it at that, try to form a cohesive argument against him. Thank you.

And the Arcanum interface was pretty counter intuitive as well.

FO1-2 interface is fine, infinity engine has one of the best. (My shield is up)

Photokoi

Learned
Well The UI in Arcanum was just so spread out and loose that I have to jumble around to find what I want to do sometimes. It's not that bad, but it certainly isn't great.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
You're an idiot.
2896-1-1233442136.jpg

This one is with a mod - but the only thing it changes are item descriptions so just imagine the interface without them.

2_43.jpg
Same, list-based equipment system. With pictures instead of text and no filters. Ah - it seems that it uses high res mod too.

And why the fuck are you acting like I'm some kind of retard, I don't even. I've just said that FO1/2 and FO3/NV interfaces are more or less the same.

MrMarbles

Cipher
Arcanum is not a good starting point for getting into cRPGs. Fallout would be much better.

I agree with most posts that Arcanum is a difficult starting point for RPGs. Some of the other suggestions though are not much better. Torment is awesomesauce, but very text-heavy and can be intimidating for new players. Fallout 1/2 could work, but the intros to both games and lack of clear directions (not saying it needs a quest compass) will probably make some people quit.

It would be an interesting debate in itself to make a recommended CRPG ranking for new players, because I think it would look very different from the top 70 list.

I'm not sure what I would recommend first, maybe Icewind Dale? Progression is straightforward, the graphix don't hurt your eyes and it is still a decent RPG. Or possibly BG2, Morrowind, NwN: MOtB, VtM: Bloodlines, Deus:Ex or even Dragon Age: Origins?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I was only kiddin' around at first (hence, the spoiler-wink), but now you're starting to veer towards ignoredom... reason is you're posting images that put Fallout in a bad light. It was designed for much lower rez, so you're presenting it as wasting space (it wasted almost none).. 2d games rarely scaled UI panels back then and widescreen rez barely existed outside of Silicon Graphics.. plus UI does not equal inventory. Compare the char-creation screen, the Pip-boy and maps, the quest screens etc. THE AESTHETICS (hand-drawn 2d icons, wow!). THE FUNCTIONALITY. Drag n drop, a lost art.

My main gripe with Fallout's UI is the tiny feedback window, being a numbaz person I like to see them.

But Fallout UI = monocled and way ahead of its time. Those who disagree and prefer Bethesda's post-Morrowind inventories (even DarNified) just have bad taste, I'm sorry to say..

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
ompare the char-creation screen, the Pip-boy and maps, the quest screens etc

This. Whoever says that the FO3 is pretty much the same is an idiot indeed.
The FO3 UI is unusable except for console monkeys. 10 screens only to see all your character info. :retarded:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oh gawd the buttan pressing. It was even worse than Mass Effect 2.

Seriously, how hard is it to add some hotkeys in the 5 minutes they spend on porting from the consoles?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom