Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vapourware New Star Trek TV Series - Star Trek: Discovery

Discussion in 'Codex Public Library' started by oldmanpaco, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Carcerigender: ⚧ Arcane

Carceri
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    I have seen the first two episodes, mostly because I couldn't fall asleep, and man, what a shitfest. I think I'm getting too old for this kind of garbage anyway.

Edit: I have to mention that I have also seen the Orville pilot episode, and in its defense at least this one has a hot chick in it. Very thin defense, I know, but still.

Is there any sci-fi show worth watching right now? Doesn't have to be brilliant, only watchable. Anything?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Pika-Cthulhugender: ⚧ Arcane

Pika-Cthulhu
    Parrots:
    Watch voyager instead, its shit star trek, but its still star trek

• Disagree x 2
    • Despair x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Curious_Tonguegender: ⚧ Larpfest Patron

Curious_Tongue
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
    I thought CBS and Paramount were two different companies from the sources I read.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. ArchAngelgender: ⚧ Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    Expanse? Dark Matter?

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. ArchAngelgender: ⚧ Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    Are you on drugs? If we wanted to rewatch older ST series why would go and watch the worst one? I rather rewatch TNG of DS9 or old movies with Kirk.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Laheygender: ⚧ Scholar

Lahey
    Parrots:
    They are. It's all right there in the second paragraph.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Jenkemgender: ⚧ Patron Saint Patron

Jenkem
    Parrots:
    Kirk and Sisko act like MEN. Picard acts like a sissy frenchfag... Macron-like. I probably should have put Janeway ahead of Picard considering she has more balls than he does.

• retadred retadred x 4
    • Shit Shit x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. forkgender: ⚧ Learned

fork
    Parrots:
    Sisko acts like a retard.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Yes! Yes! x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Laheygender: ⚧ Scholar

Lahey
    Parrots:
    Sisko chimps out a few times, but his position also demands stronger day-to-day diplomacy by virtue of its nature. His political maneouvering is unmatched amongst the Captains. Rogue.

Picard is the most intelligent and this facilitates greater introspection. He learns faster and is more adaptable to the unknown dangers and alien cultures his crew encounters. Mage.

Janeway is the war Captain. Constant threat behind enemy lines and surrounded by Borg hones her battle instincts. She's the one you want to serve under in a fight. Warrior.

Then there's the virgin Archer and the Chad Kirk.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    • Funny x 4
    • nice x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Siobhangender: ⚧ Savant

Siobhan
    Parrots:
    Like DS9, episode 5x21, Soldiers of the Empire. That's what true decline looks like, when at some point you got these things right almost effortlessly but have degenerated so much in 20 years that now you can barely remember anything but your name.

On a different note, the opening theme for STD really captures the show in a nutshell. Where earlier themes gave us the beauty and grace of a space faring future, sometimes energetic (TOS, TNG), sometimes contemplative (DS9, VOY), we now get to see random pop culture items associated with Star Trek, like the communicator. The music is also utterly forgettable (try humming it, I dare you), but in a desperate attempt to remind people that this is Star Trek they take the beginning and end of the iconic TOS theme to sandwich their bland, visionless crap. It's generic crap that tries to reel in an audience with references to a beloved franchise. Should have seen it coming from miles away.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Yes! Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Goralgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Parrots:
    Triggered.

You should rewatch TOS because you clearly don't know what you're talking about. Every episode can be considered as sexist, and every third racist. There are like 8-9 niggers in the whole series and Klingons are prestigious white men smeared with shoe polish :D. What's more Christianity is being praised in a couple of episodes as a superior religion (now it would either be atheism or islam since leftists spit on Christianity). Here are some episodes that show perfectly that Star Trek was not even remotely leftist:

1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7fPVt7FlMY - don't need to comment on that

2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uECZUtvTlvM - women depicted as damsels in distress, only good for one thing

3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52p8jnZS0GA - Sulu gets no dialogue and Uhura isn't in charge despite being the highest ranking officer/secretary/coffee pourer

4) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2nXRBAV1Hs - another episode where women are put in their place, i.e. kitchen

5) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz508DAx68U - women exist to serve men and Christianity is praised as the best religion

6) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCamCYip2t4 - we can learn here that logical Volcans consider their wives as their property - they literally say it in this episode

7) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF5P0kaeSbM - Spock says here that women are retarded and are overly emotional, even for human standards :D

8) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwU_6JluxKk - one of the rare occasions when Uhura does something more than push buttons and she becomes a vegetable...

9) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxpb0-_NkQo - same as above and in this one we have a great example of a typical bitchy wife

10) Couldn't find the clip but in the episode “Bread and Circuses” Christianity is praised again and women are depicted as property of men.

11) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKD70pgMKOE - Sarek's wife is being presented like typical Japanese wife, i.e. husband says to do something and wife does it without question

12) https://youtu.be/WkQhdRE892o - good guys have white hair, bad guys (WHO ARE KILLERS AND RAPISTS) have black :D (I kid you not, check it yourselves). They also arm these planet inhabitants and teach them to fight instead of using diplomacy or other useless shit (as wise man said: Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back). Trump approves this episode.

13) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gXIIsipi84 (Nazi society was efficient so emulating it is a good idea)

14) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_7jEpmEEak (this one is great, some say it's the most racist episode of all time, I won't spoil it though :D)

15) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eapw7dnR7tA (the only time in ST where woman has some authority and she becomes Spock's slave :D)

16) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lThvEsP5-9Y (first interracial kiss on TV but presented in such a way it's hilarious. And I agree, who would want to kiss a negro unless you would be mind controlled?)
    etc. etc.

Also, compare these prestigious, white women:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] ("I don't usually go beating up beautiful women." - cpt. Kirk :D)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

with this halal dindu:
    [​IMG]

• Racist x 4
    • retadred x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • incline x 1
    • meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. ArchAngelgender: ⚧ Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    You are really trying too much to compare a show 50 years old to something that just started showing. Of course there are going to major differences, but if you were not retarded you would understand what the words "its time" would mean.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Goralgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Parrots:
    You really need your "possibly retarded" tag back. You said:
    I've just shown you that no, it was not (if anything TOS was promoting Christian ideals and to a lesser degree TNG too with the "turn the other cheek" motto being used for most conflicts) and now you're saying something entirely different.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Make America Great Again Blainegender: ⚧ Cis-Het Oppressor

Blaine
    Parrots:
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • incline incline x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Make America Great Again cvvgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

cvv
    Parrots:
    Wow the Chink dude is right. Never thought of it like that but it makes sense.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Make America Great Again Lady Errorgender: ⚧ Arcane Literally Hitler

Lady Error
    Parrots:
    Expanse is by far the best one. Killjoys is more of a fun scifi and Dark Matter is similar.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Azarkongender: ⚧ Arcane

Azarkon
    Parrots:
    You're right, but there's a more specific way to describe it. You see, less so than minorities and civil rights, most of the Codex's complaints about social justice have to do with third wave feminism - Anita Sarkeesian, GamerGate, etc. This is a much more recent wave of feminism, and though Gene Roddenberry is often considered a feminist, Star Trek never represented third wave feminism, so it's understandable that there are old fans caught up in the cultural war between third wave feminists and the "patriarchy," who feel that the new series is basically The Mary Sue.

That said... Aren't white males still in charge in Discovery? The admiral of the fleet was certainly a white male, as is the captain of the Discovery. Sarek is also played by a white male and he's probably the most respected authority figure we've seen so far. At the same time, the Klingon war chief is presented as black :smug:. Are we sure the series is as progressive as people think?

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Azarkongender: ⚧ Arcane

Azarkon
    Parrots:
    Considering the series creator actively spoke out against organized religion and specifically told his writers to avoid the angle as much as they can, there is no way to make this argument. We're talking about a show made at a time when the US was much more Christian than it is today. Any other show would've been full of Christian themes. Just because the writers couldn't avoid it entirely because they could only write from what they knew - and what they knew was the heavily Christian America in which they grew up - doesn't indicate that Star Trek was trying to promote conservative ideology. It's like saying that just because Dragon Age Inquisition includes romance between straight people, Bioware wasn't trying to promote social justice values.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. fantadomatgender: ⚧ Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    I would go as to say the best one,they are very different types.It have the best narrative and maybe story.While killjoys and Dark matter are more episodic and free flowing.They feel more like Firefly.Still all of them are cool tv shows.Also there is very fun show called "people of earth",it is nice comedy about a bunch of people that believe that they were kidnapped by aliens.I will recommend trying it out.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Mark Richardgender: ⚧ Savant

Mark Richard
    Parrots:
    I really like The Expanse. A handful of people unwittingly stumble into a galactic plot. Each has ties to one of the squabbling factions, yet their survival depends on cooperation. Classic RPG party.

• Agree x 3
    • Funny x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Make America Great Again cvvgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

cvv
    Parrots:
    Expanse is probably the most mature SF show ever made and it's truly great. Unfortunately the books are pretty bad. They're incredibly long-winded and plot is very thinly spread out. I gave up after the second part.

^ Top  
  22. fantadomatgender: ⚧ Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    It could be felt in the show to.I take it that from the third season it will begin going to shit,sadly.By the way does anyone here remember Lexx?

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    • Yes! Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Make America Great Again Kz3r0gender: ⚧ Arcane

Kz3r0
    Parrots:
    Star Trek has always been Kwanzanian in outlook and attitude.
    Besides many writers for TOS were skeptical about the philosophy of the show to say the least, I mean The City on the Edge of Forever was written to support Kwanzanian war in Vietnam even if no one noticed.
    This long tradition of anti-trek Trek writers reached its acme with DS9, an anti.trek Trek show.
    Probably the same thing is at work here, the show is about diversity but non whites and non hetero are portraited as retards and dindu-dindu acts like the caricature of a black trek officer, utterly emotional, insubordinate, prone to violence and until now has managed to cause the death of her captain and a space war, really, looks like some kind of joke, the more dindu-dindu fuck ups the more is praised, like some retrded kid doing dumb stuff being praised by mean onlookers getting a laugh at the ezpenses of the poor fucker.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Multiple Sarcasmgender: ⚧ Arcane

Multiple Sarcasm
    Parrots:
    Selectively.

[​IMG]

• Excited! x 6
    • Brofist x 2
    • incline x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • covfefe x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Volrathgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Volrath
    Parrots:
    Keep watching the Orville.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)