Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information New Shadowrun Returns Screenshots and Info at Game Informer

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Universal Codex Optimism is pretty creepy.
If it makes you feel better I think it's very possible the systems will be terribad considering their shitty P&P-derived origins in addition to the relatively brief amount of time they've given themselves to make it.
Shitty compared to what?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If it makes you feel better I think it's very possible the systems will be terribad considering their shitty P&P-derived origins in addition to the relatively brief amount of time they've given themselves to make it.
Shitty compared to what?
Compared to using the Josh Sawyer method of creating core gameplay and content first and then figuring out how you want character progression and customization to happen.

Or alternately a better ruleset than Shadowrun which has been criticized by both Sawyer and Avellone.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Shitty compared to what?
Compared to using the Josh Sawyer method of creating core gameplay and content first and then figuring out how you want character progression and customization to happen.

Or alternately a better ruleset than Shadowrun which has been criticized by both Sawyer and Avellone.
Allright girl. :lol:

So Sawyer is butthurt about dice pools? Like I care about the opinion of somebody ripping off 4E D&D rules. :smug:

imweasel

Shitty compared to what?

I bet this game is gonna end up better than Project Dumbed Down Project Eternity though.

imweasel

Shitty compared to what?

Allright girl. :lol:

So Sawyer is butthurt about dice pools? Like I care about the opinion of somebody ripping off 4E D&D rules. :smug:
Sawyer is butthurt about anything that iz 2 komplicated (in his opinion), which he likes to calls "degenerate gaming" or something. He just wants it to be simple and "good" like in Skyrim, which is currently his favorite game.
:codexisfor:

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Sawyer is butthurt about anything that iz 2 komplicated (in his opinion), which he likes to calls "degenerate gaming" or something. He just wants it to be simple and "good" like in Skyrim, which is currently his favorite game.

Where is this from btw?

imweasel

Where is this from btw?
Check his Twitter feed. He plays it all the time and also posts pics of his awesome "accomplishments". :D

Zeriel

Arcane

Does anyone actually listen to what Sawyer and Avellone think about game systems? Neither has actually produced a great gameplay-oriented game. I like them both, but they're not people you'd go to to produce something like XCOM, say. Avellone is respected for his writing, nothing else.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Obviously. So am I.
Maybe I'm just overly sensitive but it does seem a touch arrogant to say some systems are shit, etc etc, and then say Skyrim is awesomely the best game evar!
Maybe he's just praying for more Obsidian gold?

Blasterhead

Educated
I don't care for the character proportions they've decided on at all, but it reads very well at a distance (likely why they settled on it) and the whole thing looks great together.

If the editor has enough functionality and the mechanics aren't terrible this game is a no-brainer purchase even if the campaign they put together falls short.

Very optimistic!

Shannow

Waster of Time
Universal Codex Optimism is pretty creepy.
Well, I'm still worried that the actual "game" will turn out to be a 10-hour short slug-fest on NWN OC level. And the actual game will be for modders to fix by making modules.
And I don't like the proportions of some of the characters :rpgcodex:

(Feeling better yet?)

EDIT: Leaving stuff to chance in an RPG means you might miss on an attack. That's bad, mkay? /sawyer

Moribund

A droglike
Does anyone actually listen to what Sawyer and Avellone think about game systems? Neither has actually produced a great gameplay-oriented game. I like them both, but they're not people you'd go to to produce something like XCOM, say. Avellone is respected for his writing, nothing else.
You wouldn't think so but Infinitron got me rpgwatched for pointing out what an idiot he is.

Have they really created their own systems so far?
No, and the minor elements Sawyer has added to games have been horrible so far.

Why is an amount of dice, either way, a bad thing?
Too much to chance?

He is one of those people who is so bad at DnD he thinks it's all random chance and you just die for no reason all the time. But it's not random chance it's all about building a party that works and understanding the game system. He had some big long video where he talked about game balance but saif about 100 things that just showed he;s too fucking retarded to get DnD and everything he wants to do to "fix" it will completely destroy it.

But if you do roll two dice together it has a big effect to make things a little less random. You CAN control the randomness with dice, and in fact DnD does do this. It's a lot different to roll 3d6 than to roll a single d16. Gygax knew what the fuck he was doing, obviously Sawyer does not.

imweasel

Yes, yes, Sawyer is a retard that has no idea how to do low level design and just copies 4E D&D. And removes all of the hard "degenerate" stuff.

But this is a Shadowrun thread, there is no need to befoul it. ;)

MapMan

Arcane
Wasteland 2 screenshot released -> Some say it looks bad -> Those people are ridiculed and called morons for discussing the art direction and graphics of just released in game screenshot.
Shadowrun Returns screenshots released -> A circle jerk forms saying how MAJESTIC it looks -> No one sees a problem.

Codex at its finest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom