Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rune II: Decapitation Edition - abandoned by Human Head Studios, still causing drama

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Rune was awesome in multiplayer too. But I don't think I'd have called it an "RPG", it was more like an action game with axes and stuff. Fun though, good fun

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
From what I remember it was mostly a somewhat confusing but charming third person hack'n'slash with dungeon crawler elements. Somewhat like Arx Fatalis, except in third person and fewer stats.
You have a really bad memory, as this sounds literally nothing like Rune.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
"Rune" and "Dork Sulz" does not glue together.
Can you imagine vikings rolling like a cowards? Me neither.

Arx Fatalis? In what way that Ultima Underworlds spiritual imitator have anything in common with BLOOD AND THUNDER may I ask?

And since this is hidden fanboy central of some company let me do something that never comes you your inferior minds
FUCK BETHESDA
cause they did not managed to kill incline (cancelling Prey2 and killing Human Heads).

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
And since this is hidden fanboy central of some company let me do something that never comes you your inferior minds
FUCK BETHESDA
cause they did not managed to kill incline (cancelling Prey2 and killing Human Heads).
What does this have to do with anything that was written in this thread?

And by the way, the Prey game that we got in the end is way more incline than the originally planned sequel.

Neanderthal

Arcane
In fairness until he bathed in Loki's blood near end o Rune, Ragnar did look fairly Chris Hemsworth-ish.

I liked combat o Rune, more organic an chaotic route than Severance, where if you wanted to behead someone you jump at em while slashing wi your Dwarven Worksword or whatever. Quick, reaction based an fucking deadly. Severance wi its host o combos, dodges, weapon moves an such were a little slower paced but more tactical. Though I liked how both dint shy away from gore.

Big part o Rune were weird fucking environments for me, swimming into Underworld, them weird Pukje things, giant moths, trampolines, crabs that doubled as jumping platforms, an them bastard tongues in stone barrel things. To be honest it were about as Norse themed as bloody Skyrim though.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It was certainly more arcadeish than Blade of Darkness, but it still had elements akin to it and, later, Souls series. Importance of blocking and, at least in case of some enemies, timing and reading of their moves. Game actually gives you a harsh lesson about that early on in the cavern/ruin portion, with those stationary crustacean thing that that could grab you, swirl you around and throw you from a platform together with "confiscating" your currently held weapon. You had to be perfect about timing your attack as well as your distance from them while performing it.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It was certainly more arcadeish than Blade of Darkness, but it still had elements akin to it and, later, Souls series. Importance of blocking and, at least in case of some enemies, timing and reading of their moves. Game actually gives you a harsh lesson about that early on in the cavern/ruin portion, with those stationary crustacean thing that that could grab you, swirl you around and throw you from a platform together with "confiscating" your currently held weapon. You had to be perfect about timing your attack as well as your distance from them while performing it.
Or throw something at them and cut away at leisure while they're busy swirling about with an inanimate object.
Plebs.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Human Head's 20 years of survival: https://www.humanhead.com/single-post/2017/08/31/20-Games-20-Years-Timeline

20 Games 20 Years Timeline

Have you been following along with our 20 Games 20 Years countdown on Twitter and Instagram? We’ve put together a timeline of our game releases with a few other exciting milestones. If you haven’t seen them already, be sure to check out the newest addition to our suite of games, Rune: Ragnarok and Survived By!

7c9146_493258c88e944739a6f6b5dbf5acf98e~mv2_d_1984_1248_s_2.png

Survived By is a free-to-play bullet hell MMO not-Realm-of-the-Mad-God, to be survived by microtrasaction monies:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.humanhead.com/single-post/2017/09/13/Rune-Ragnarok-Motion-Capture-Session

Rune: Ragnarok Motion Capture Session

Just prior to the announcement of Rune: Ragnarok, Project Director Chris Rhinehart and Animation Director Nick Taylor flew to Canada for a motion capture session focused on character movements and combat mechanics. Here’s a behind-the-scenes look at what happened before and during the trip.

To prepare for the trip, the team had to determine which actions were needed for all of the bipedal characters in the game. To do this, the game designers and character animators got together to talk through and act out all of the animations. (Just imagine a bunch of game developers swinging imaginary swords and doing combat maneuvers in our conference rooms.)

In addition to generating the animation and movement lists, we also created skeletons for each character. These skeletons will be mapped to the actual actor performing the moves in the mocap session.

During the session, Nick and Chris worked with the actors to alter their base movements in order to match the unique melee combat needs of the game. They paid particular attention to how the actors moved with weapons and the emotions that were conveyed through some of the more pedestrian actions - like walking and running. Occasionally, the guys jumped in for extra coaching and demonstrations.

“It was was an exciting shoot full of weapon clashing and savage attacks that would make even a seasoned warrior think twice. I can hardly wait to get all of the mocap in the game so I can play it myself!” - Nick Taylor

Animation Director Nick Taylor takes the stage to coach our talent through some pacing.

7c9146_0f35145080ab41a2b4901a266efea3ba~mv2_d_4032_3024_s_4_2.webp

It wouldn’t be Rune without a variety of weapons designed for the most brutal of melee combat.

Think you have better moves?

As we get our skeletons mapped and the assets into the game, you can head over to www.runeragnaork.com to sign up for more development updates and a chance at closed beta access.

http://mailchi.mp/69e106b8373a/rune-ragnarok-introduces-odin

b7ec46a8-3c7f-428e-a7a9-9fa9f577c520.png

ODIN

Known as the Allfather, Odin’s quest for knowledge knows no bounds. He travels the Nine Worlds in search of wisdom on the back of his eight-legged horse, Sleipnir. Presiding over Valhalla, he blesses brave warriors and rewards those who fall during battle with great feasts, glory, and all of life’s pleasures.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.humanhead.com/single-post/2017/09/27/Honor-Among-Vikings-A-Rune-Retrospective

Honor Among Vikings: A Rune Retrospective

The sword I’m holding is taller than I am. With one swing, I chop my opponent’s arm clean off. I then pick up that severed arm and beat him to death with it. It’s just one of many moments in Rune’s multiplayer, a game that pits Viking against Viking in violent combat. Looking back at our many Rune matches, we know that while the game is about violence, it’s also about honor.

7c9146_874d9e7fabd14b708438fd70c0707b83~mv2.webp

For many players, Rune has some rules that form a moral code.
  • Don’t kill an unarmed player.
  • Don’t jump into a fight you did not start.
  • Don’t kill using Rune powers.
  • And many more...
These rules are not enforced by the game. They’re enforced by the community. On some servers, breaking these rules may get you shunned, or sometimes even banned.

Why such harsh ramifications? Despite all the blood and gore, Rune is often about gentlemanly dueling. This kind of game design is driven by the players themselves, and some of the best experiences happen when players make their own fun.

As we design Rune: Ragnarok, we’re working hard to stay true to principles like this. We’re putting forth a game that we’re not only excited to make, but excited to play. As a game developer, it’s our job to listen to the community and we work hard to give fans a voice in shaping the game.

Not all players appreciate these nuances. Plenty of them are looking for every possible edge to win and would never follow rules like these. But, underneath all the killer instinct and aggression of multiplayer games, the best experiences are still about connecting with people.

In Rune, we realize these rules create sportsmanship and ensure that a fight stays interesting for all players. It’s sometimes more about lively competition than it is about winning at all costs. And like the Norse legends of Valhalla, after the battle is over, everyone can celebrate together - preferably with a stiff drink of mead.

http://mailchi.mp/5a8698a2e17f/rune-ragnarok-introduces-freya

17295e16-7ab2-479e-b243-c93b4d4ae731.png

Freya

Freya is the most beautiful and promiscuous of all the goddesses. When her charm and flirtation can’t get her out of a sticky situation, she calls upon a suit of feathers to shapeshift into a falcon. A master of seidr magic, Freya demands respect, admiration, and fear from those around her.

funkadelik

Arcane
I spent countless hours slaying in Rune multiplayer, it was the most responsive melee combat of its era with decapitations and all other sorts of fun shit a 12 year old gets a chubby for.

I fear this will be another server-based sandbox "rpg" akin to Conan, Dark and Light, and Ark.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Freya is the most beautiful and promiscuous of all the goddesses. When her charm and flirtation can’t get her out of a sticky situation, she calls upon a suit of feathers to shapeshift into a falcon. A master of seidr magic, Freya demands respect, admiration, and fear from those around her.

Sounds like Anita Sarkeesian or the 5 guys girl.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Rune was an absolute blast. Been a long time, though, and a lot has changed in the industry. Who knows if they can pull this off...

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
a8af6718-28b6-4525-9029-2d6ba0463b8e.png

Loki

Loki is a master of manipulation and often finds himself in opposition to those closest to him. While his intelligence and wit help him narrowly escape these dangerous situations, his true power lies in his endless shapeshifting ability. With allegiance to both gods and giants, deception may be Loki’s greatest asset.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Another god, Hemsworth:

5f53f4bc-1801-41b2-b466-3665abf108e1.png

Thor

With his trusty hammer, Mjölnir, Thor protects Asgard against all enemies that dare cross the Bifrost. Drawing on rain, thunder, and lightning to aid his cause, he valiantly travels the realms performing miracles and blessing farmers’ fields. Though often tricked by those closest to him, Thor’s loyalty and propensity for battle are unparalleled.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
"Human Head on Rune: Ragnarok – Not A Direct Sequel; Powered by Unreal Engine 4": http://wccftech.com/human-head-rune-ragnarok-interview/

Some interesting bits:

It’s not a direct sequel in that it doesn’t continue Ragnar’s story from the original Rune. This new game is set a long time after the original during the end of days, Ragnarok. If you’re not familiar with the mythology, Ragnarok begins and a great war breaks out between humans, giants, and beasts. The Gods themselves fight and many of them die. At the end, the world is consumed by fire and reborn anew.

In Rune: Ragnarok, the world has not been reborn anew. The battle has raged on for seven years. Most people have perished. You’re one of the remaining humans, trying to survive and bring about an end to Ragnarok.

We’re using Unreal Engine 4. Seems fitting since the original Rune was developed using Unreal 1!

We publicly talked about reviving Rune 2 in 2012, but we officially started development this year. We’ve had a lot of time to come up with ideas since the original Rune, though.

It takes place across realms that have merged when Ragnarok began. Most of the game takes place in Midgard.

The combat system will be brutal and will have gore, certainly. True to the original Rune, you can lop off your enemy’s arm and beat them to death with it. More information about the combat system and controls will be revealed at a later date!

We haven’t revealed our plans for multiplayer yet, but suffice it to say that our fans are posting a lot of comments about how much they loved multiplayer in the original Rune. We read all those comments and are listening.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
774f551f-266d-4c61-8db6-abde777cb9d8.png

Hel

Half-beautiful and half-rotten, Hel is a gruesome sight to behold. She welcomes the newly departed to the underworld by draining the remaining life from their withering bodies. Not a soul will escape the cold grasp of Hel. Her faithful dog Garm guards her lair as she grows an army to lead into the end of days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom