Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News New Project Eternity Interviews: Feargus Urquhart and Chris Avellone

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Chris Avellone; Feargus Urquhart; Kickstarter; Obsidian Entertainment; Project Eternity

Two more interviews about Project Eternity have popped up. First, Pure Sophistry has a podcast/radio interview up with Feargus Urquhart, CEO of Obsidian Entertainment. They talk about Project Eternity, publishers, BioWare and more over the span of 15 minutes. I have embedded the interview below:

Here's a transcribed excerpt:

You’ve had great success in the past, now you’re jumping into Kickstarter with your new game, “Project Eternity” What exactly is Project Eternity?

Feargus: A lot of us before we worked for Obsidian, we worked for another company called Internet Interplay, which had an RPG division “Black Isle Studios” which I was the founder back then we worked with a developer called Bioware on games like Baldur’s gate and the sequel and internally, Icewind Dale 2. A lot of people called these games the resurgence of sort of PC role playing games. They were fun games that people loved to play, but they sort of stopped being made and we were having a real challenge getting publishers funding and people interested so when Kickstarter came out we realized this was the perfect way to recreate the games people remember fondly again.

Why make the choice of developing this particular project on Kickstarter?

Feargus: That’s a really good question, I think a lot of it is we want to make the game. It’s a game we really want to make and it’s a game we feel that we can really make well. It’s funny, I was just talking to a publisher about an hour ago and he said, “Why didn’t you come and talk to us about publishing Project Eternity?” I said, I’m a pretty good salesmen- but not good enough to come into your office and ask you for money for a PC Roleplaying game. It’s just not something alot of the publishers are built around. It just made sense to “Kick-start it”​

And a funny tidbit:

[Feargus:] If we listened to everyone, it would be a Japanese turn-based dating sim with insect people.​

There's also a new interview with Chris Avellone up at TIME. Here's a snip:

Pledgers are probably wondering, say you hit all your stretch goals, are there any ways Project Eternity will feel like a “lesser” game than something with a tens-of-millions budget? Should people expect a game world at least as artistically, narratively and mechanically rich as Baldur’s Gate 2 or Planescape?

So here’s my view – I don’t feel Baldur’s Gate 2, Planescape: Torment, or Icewind Dale are lesser games. At all. I feel they allow for more differences than modern blockbusters, and I’d argue they’re more RPGs than a number of triple-A titles on the market, mostly because they allow more freedom for the player to bring their own creativity and voice to the experience. Want your own portrait? Sure. Want your own bio? Sure. Want a spell and combat system that’s not limited to the controller buttons? ‘Twould be our pleasure. Prefer having a world that’s not limited by console memory? ‘Twould be our pleasure x2. We couldn’t have made many of the locations in Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment in a current console-gen title without blowing out the memory or making compromises, but in a game like this, we have more freedom to effectively paint a landscape for a player to explore.​

Thanks Infinitron and Crooked Bee!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Project Eternity's Chris Avellone: Pitching Publisher-Friendly RPGs 'Makes Me Want to Slit My Wrists'

Fuck yes. :flamesaw:MCA is unleashing his inner Codexer.

maverick

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
[Feargus:] If we listened to everyone, it would be a Japanese turn-based dating sim with insect people.

Don't tell this to the biodrones at Obsidian's forums :eek:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
[Feargus:] If we listened to everyone, it would be a Japanese turn-based dating sim with insect people.

:lol: :lol:

This should be posted everywhere on the Obsidian forums.

Black

Arcane
Unity confirmed for Eternity, duck and cover, there be a shitstorm abrewin!

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Zed Crooked Bee

I am wondering if the 'Dex could conduct an interview with MCA or Fergus.

One of the questions I would like to know answer to is: "How are you going to realise all of your promises in the given time-frame (18 months), when each additional goalpost keeps extending the game content that will be required from you to make? What is your contingency plan?"

I just fear that without proper time and money management they are going to be hurt a lot.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Unity confirmed for Eternity, duck and cover, there be a shitstorm abrewin!

We already know. No shitstorm yet.

last8diff.png

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Crooked Bee
no problemo gurrl, you can do whatever you want with my posts, if u no what i mean :cool:
EDIT uh except delete them. :cool: :cool:

What are the downsides of doing something like this on Kickstarter? What do you worry about most?

I worry about someone else failing. To quote Archer when something bad happens: “This is why we can’t have nice things.” While I’m confident in Obsidian being able to deliver a quality title, it only takes one other Kickstarter developer to ruin things for everyone else and cast doubt on the donation process going forward. We sure as hell aren’t going to drop the ball, but Kickstarter is still in its near-honeymoon period and there’s still plenty of room for failure in the future.

He shouldn't worry about that, really. I mean projects fail constantly, but those are small potatoes. inXile, Shadowrun, DFA and Banner Saga seem to be doing alright. Broken Sword is looking very promising as well and only has a day left on funding (already in production). FTL has already delivered, and is kicking ass.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Zed Crooked Bee

I am wondering if the 'Dex could conduct an interview with MCA or Fergus.

One of the questions I would like to know answer to is: "How are you going to realise all of your promises in the given time-frame (18 months), when each additional goalpost keeps extending the game content that will be required from you to make? What is your contingency plan?"

I just fear that without proper time and money management they are going to be hurt a lot.
That's a good question for Feargus. For MCA we will want to focus on design and writing, I think. For Sawyer... world, game systems and inspiration.
We have an interview coming up that focuses more on the KS side of things, with Adam.
I guess we'd want to interview them all, about everything, but their time is limited :D

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's also a new interview with Chris Avellone up at TIME. Here's a snip:
Pledgers are probably wondering, say you hit all your stretch goals, are there any ways Project Eternity will feel like a “lesser” game than something with a tens-of-millions budget? Should people expect a game world at least as artistically, narratively and mechanically rich as Baldur’s Gate 2 or Planescape?

So here’s my view – I don’t feel Baldur’s Gate 2, Planescape: Torment, or Icewind Dale are lesser games. At all. I feel they allow for more differences than modern blockbusters, and I’d argue they’re more RPGs than a number of triple-A titles on the market, mostly because they allow more freedom for the player to bring their own creativity and voice to the experience. Want your own portrait? Sure. Want your own bio? Sure. Want a spell and combat system that’s not limited to the controller buttons? ‘Twould be our pleasure. Prefer having a world that’s not limited by console memory? ‘Twould be our pleasure x2. We couldn’t have made many of the locations in Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment in a current console-gen title without blowing out the memory or making compromises, but in a game like this, we have more freedom to effectively paint a landscape for a player to explore.​

I absolutely LOVE these kinds of Kickstarter responses!! This is why I have spent so much money on Wasteland 2, Double Fine, Project Eternity, Quest for Infamy, Shadowrun, Deadstate, and Legends of Eisenwald. I don't want a game that even thinks about what a console player wants/ expects/ etc. and thinks it's players are one step above an amoeba in intelligence. I truly look forward to the next few years as these games start to see the light of day. I'd rather have 2-3 of these games made a year instead of the soulless drivel that publishers have been shoveling for the last decade or so. I never thought I would actually live to see the :incline: of computer gaming but I now have hope. :love:

flabbyjack

Arcane
We ... are taking the infinity engine was and actually porting that into a new engine. ... What that's going to allow us to do is change how it works to an extent. Technology (has) moved a lot *laugh* really far in the last ten years, and we want to reflect that in Project Eternity.
:excellent:

Wait, so no dating sim with insectoids? i am disappoint fearghus

Ivory Samoan

Liturgist
I get the feeling of an incline when listening to interviews about Project Eternity.. it is a feeling I haven't felt since, well, before you were born.

Grimlorn

Arcane
What are the downsides of doing something like this on Kickstarter?What do you worry about most?

I worry about someone else failing. To quote Archer when something bad happens: “This is why we can’t have nice things.” While I’m confident in Obsidian being able to deliver a quality title, it only takes one other Kickstarter developer to ruin things for everyone else and cast doubt on the donation process going forward. We sure as hell aren’t going to drop the ball, but Kickstarter is still in its near-honeymoon period and there’s still plenty of room for failure in the future.

I think it's smarter to do the KS project early before any of the kickstarter projects release their games. Wasteland 2 will probably be one of the last ones finished since most other projects got less money. And once some of those weaker games are released and suck, people are probably going to be less likely to invest in a kickstarter after that.

Great minds think alike

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom