Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mad Max game from Avalanche Studios

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Mel is a true Codexer :salute:

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
Post-Apocalyptic settings appeal comes from it's lack of government authority, anarchy, fear and most of all, lack of resources. I don't think setting like these are suited to fast paced action games where you don't care about your safety at all.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Post-Apocalyptic settings appeal comes from it's lack of government authority, anarchy, fear and most of all, lack of resources. I don't think setting like these are suited to fast paced action games where you don't care about your safety at all.
Worked well enough in Hokuto no Ken. :3

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This sound very clever. It's like you know what you are talking about. Unfortunately it is not the case.:troll:

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
This sound very clever. It's like you know what you are talking about. Unfortunately it is not the case.:troll:

It's bad idea to use post-apocalyptic setting if your aim is to be good sandbox game. There are less cars, less people, less cities, so you have endless deserts that doesn't affect your character or mean anything at all. There are no content in wasteland (in especially an universe like mad max where only enemies are rape gangs) to cover for lack of depth this game's usually have. This game would probably have the same blandness borderlands 1 had(didn't played the second) and even that game would have more variant for content than this will have.(If they don't lore rape of course)
Games with resource mechanisms could avoid this lack of content problem by forcing the player into tight situation by using wasteland and using the lawless world.

This type of setting is perfect for survival horrors and rpgs not sandbox action games. It would be interesting how they would get around this problems.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There are no content in wasteland (in especially an universe like max payne where only enemies are rape gangs)

Max Payne?

Focusing on single player gives a good impression about developer. It could be a black horse of AAA games.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
You could make a completely awesome post-apoc survival game based on Mad Max, where petrol and ammo are very scarce, yet something you must expend to advance in the game. I doubt any modern AAAAAA game will have anything like that though, so if there is any resource management you'll probably be able to get all you need by grinding easy enemies.

Luzur

Good Sir
You could make a completely awesome post-apoc survival game based on Mad Max, where petrol and ammo are very scarce, yet something you must expend to advance in the game. I doubt any modern AAAAAA game will have anything like that though, so if there is any resource management you'll probably be able to get all you need by grinding easy enemies.

you expect modern console gamers to be able to handle ammo and petrol managing and not getting non-stop action and explosions?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

you expect modern console gamers to be able to handle ammo and petrol managing and not getting non-stop action and explosions?
If you read my post you'll find that I don't.

Luzur

Good Sir

If you read my post you'll find that I don't.

and if you read my post you'll find out that i just bought The Summoner for my SSI collection.

fuzz

Liturgist
  • Rage2 in disguise?
bila.jpg

• Most likely.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I guess the story is going to be good... heh... Avalanche studios really done an incredible job in Just Cause... well , no really... the story was shit. Well, the story is going to be shit to mediocre but the missions are going to be very good... well Just Cause had totally not repetitive missions... no, not really. Okay, it is going to have a shitty story and shitty missions, at least the gun play is going to be fantastic like Just Cause 2... well, not really, Just Cause 2, had a pretty shitty shooting. You are going to be able to do crazy gravity defying shit, at least,... not really, the game is a kinda serious experience this time. So, or someone fired the whole Just Cause team when I wasn't looking or Warner Bros cured them from the mental disease that affected them for so long, because otherwise I have no hope for this game to not be a reskined Just Cause 2, just not so much over the top this time.

Absalom

"We treated [the Mad Max game] as a completely new property, and that was really the only way for us to take on a licensed game."

... What? Pretty sure it's the exact opposite of that, actually. And I thought Australia was the only location that survived the nuclear holocaust?

Ugh lame.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Oh dear, this is starting to sounds like just another fail reboot, like Syndicate, XCOM, etc. While it's not a game that's being rebooted, it's the standard operating procedure of slapping an old name on a barely related game just to generate media buzz and fan attention, while making the actual setting and gameplay bland shit to appeal to dudebro gamers.
Cunts. :decline:

Oh for fuck sake. Then why even use the Mad Max name if you are going to change everything about it?! I mean, the fans of Mad Max will just be offended about it, and the average ignorant consumer won't care about the name in the first place. So why pay for the licence in the first place?

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Did you guys really expect them to do good for Mad Max? Of course they're gonna popamole and shit all over it.

Borelli

Arcane
I was hoping to watch Mad Max marathon right before playing the game to set me in the mood and increase my fun but now i see that that would decrease it because of fanboy rage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom