Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News New Game: Entombed 3D

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
OK, I downloaded the PhysX drivers and I still get only to 9.70 %. I eventually get an "unhandled exception". My version of .NET is 2.0. Should I downgrade or what?

DSE

Novice
.net 2.0 and 1.1 arent backwardly compatible so you must have the correct .net installed as well otherwise you wouldnt be getting that far, so thats all good.

The infamous 9.70% problem ...

I didnt realise that other countries use a comma to separate numbers instead of a full stop. If you change your regional settings to English it will work.

I have a fix for this but I havent released it yet.

Elwro

Arcane
I finally managed to run it and played a few minutes. Good fun! Work on it!

I wanted to save, hit Escape hoping to get menu and exited the game :D

Keep up the good job!

DSE

Novice
Finally, thanks ... I will keep going as the response has been very good on other forums. I just need to get more content in the game.

Thanks again.

Krafter

Scholar
Dave, I downloaded PhysX and I'm now getting the same error that Elwro got - the 'unhandled exception' one.

How do I know what version of .net I am running? Dxconfig?

DSE

Novice
If it runs but gets to 9.7% its because of your regional settings not being set to English. I know about this error and I have fixed it but I need to test it some more first. Sorry.

Krafter

Scholar
Ha ha, that was exactly it, Dave. My PC was not set to English, you even said that earlier in the thread. Ugh.

Settings switched, Phys X installed, game now runs perfectly fine. I had to run out to work again, but I'll play it more thouroughly tonight. Looks great, by the way.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Saint_Proverbius said:
EEVIAC said:
I know that dungeon crawler and first-person perspective should fit hand in glove (greater immersion and all that shit,) but I just don't get it. If all you have is combat (and graphics) then those mechanics need to be really slick. First person melee combat has never been any good, doubly so in a party based game.

Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder were nice for their simplicity, really. Considering Dungeon Master came out in 1987, it's a pretty decent title that a lot of people remember fondly. The combat in Dungeon Master wasn't that great, considering it basically revolved around watching buttons light up and then clicking on them when they did, but I know I burned many hours playing the original.
I can still remember using shrieker slices as thrown missile weapons...

BTW: Damnit! I was browsing c.s.i.p.g.r and stumbled across this, but you beat me to it. The graphics (or at leats the textures) certainly look better than the only other well known remake that I know of, dmjava...

As to re-making games like Dungeon Master:
a) alot of people have good memories of this game as it WAS a significant step in RPG development at the time, both graphically and in play style

b) re-making an older game like DM or The Bard's Tale is arguably MUCH easier to do than something like ToEE esp when you consider the graphical expectations and overall implementation i.e. no complex quests to script, relatively simple battle and spell systems, limited inventories, etc. As youll note that the games usually re-made are just overblown dungeoncrawlers.

Is it any good as a remake? I might see if I can get it up and running under cedega's CVS winex, as I've been experimenting with running a variety of apps with wine under linux recently and if I can get enough games to run as well, I might even switch over my main desktop to running linux eclusively as well. (The NWN1 client runs decently...)

DSE

Novice
shader model 2.0 is required. Because it is rendering using per pixel lighting and using relief mapping for the walls, it needs a modernish gfx card. Something like a nvidia 6600 or an ATI 9800 pro works great.

Dave.

DSE

Novice
Yeah, sorry mate. I am cosidering doing a shader model 1.0 version for older hardware. It wont look as good but ... we will see.

Krafter

Scholar
It is fun, DSE. You should definitely keep working on it.

The movement is a little awkward, but it is fine. It reminds me of first-person adventure games in this regard, which I play often.

Great job, man. Looking forward to seeing more out of this. :)

DSE

Novice
Thanks, glad you like it. Its alot of work for one person, but I planning on releasing a new version soonish ... stay tuned !

Was the performance ok for you ?

Elwro

Arcane
One change I'd like: the characters should be able to move forward as long as the forward key is pressed. As it is now, I have to press the arrow with every step. There should be some delay of course, but I guess it'd be easy to figure out the exact value after some testing.

DSE

Novice
Ok that is doable, I will look into it. Basically its a key repeat delay ...

Krafter

Scholar
DSE said:
Thanks, glad you like it. Its alot of work for one person, but I planning on releasing a new version soonish ... stay tuned !

Was the performance ok for you ?
Yeah, performance was great, Dave. The only real problem I had was the installation, which was all my fault and nothing to do with Entombed itself.

Without getting too dramatic, projects like this and Vault Dweller's are games that I can get behind. Good to see people doing something as a hobby, as something they love, rather than some publisher-led, focus group mandated game. Good work, man.

Elwro's proposed change is a good idea, but I'd keep it somewhat slow and deliberate. Hard to explain, I guess I like the Adventure game movement over a faster, FPS-like movement. It seems to fit here.

covr

Prophet
Patron
The very last youtube videos from this game are 2 years old. And they look great. I'm just curious what happened.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom