Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

New Expeditions Series Ideas

Discussion in 'Expeditions' started by Morality Games, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    So I bought Expeditions: Conquistador in that last sale and I've got to say it would be hard to imagine an RPG that fits my sensibilities more. Assuming Logic Artists doesn't fold under the weight of their curious investment into third-person stealth action, I've ran through a list of possible new settings and thought I would share them.

Expeditions: East Indies

You would be a representative of the East India Trade Company during its transition from a confederacy of semi-autonomous, ethnically British factory towns along India’s coast to the mega corporate ‘Company Rule’ and direct civil and military administration of major territories in the Indian Sub-Continent. After resolving tensions between the factory town hub and its host raj on the coast, you would move deeper into the Sub-Continent with the suitably vague goal of establishing new trade relationships in unexplored rajas, either through diplomatic and cultural interchange or economic and military manipulation. Probably the period of history that would play *most* like the Age of Discovery in South America. If you want to replicate the ‘El Dorado’ overtones of the original, you can make a subplot about obtaining a magical diamond or similar mystical artifact.

Expeditions: Vikings

You would start as a war leader in the Varagian Guard commanding an ethnically mixed (and quarrelsome) group of Scandinavians and maybe a disgruntled Anglo-Saxon or two displaced by the Norman Conquest of England, fighting on behalf of the Byzantines against their Turkish foes or vice versa. The second campaign would be about the expansion of Kievan Rus, Norse-Slav interaction, and the foundation of a fictional analogue to the Rurik dynasty (who eventually founded the Tsardom of Russia and were later replaced by the Romanovs in the very late 1500s). Not the most cohesive idea (and the Vikings were a pretty alien culture themselves in medieval period's spectrum of Euro-normativity) but I think it would capture the feel of being strangers in strange lands pretty well.

Expeditions: Crusader

You would start as a (probably French) crusader leading a Canterbury style pilgrimage to the Holy Land to recover the Holy Grail (or some other religious artifact), then wind up getting delayed in Italy or Byzantium or somewhere. In the second campaign, you caught up in the intrigues of pro-war and pro-peace nobles in the Kingdom of Jerusalem while interacting with the varied Sultanates of the Middle East.

Also Legionnaire (Campaign #1 Gaul--> Campaign #2 Briton), China (probably something 19th century although I think the 16th century would be more exiting), and Africa (although I’m not sure when or who the colonizing power would be).

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  2. Make America Great Again Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
  3. SCO Arcane In My Safe Space

SCO
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Expeditions: Hannibal, Expeditions: Saladin, Expeditions: Attila, Expeditions: Great Khan, Expeditions: Normans, Expeditions: Umayyad, Expeditions: One of these

Fuck you

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    I don't really think it matters what historical viewpoint the game takes, as long as it improves on the gameplay and has better performance than the last one it will be a fucking sweet game.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  5. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Parrots:
    Short version: we need moar historical RPGs

• Brofist Brofist x 11
    ^ Top  
  6. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    Parrots:
    Prolly should avoid the religious topic. it will cause needless controversy.

ANd I agree that expedition style is not exploited enough in games

Expedition: Native trading.
    Setting: east/west indian company. You lead a trade mission to maximize profit by rip off natives. BOnus: selling opium to CHinese to create much butthurt. even more bonus point if you can recreate the trade imbalance between british empire and china before the brit think of opiums.

Expedition: Cortez conquer!
    Setting: central america. Use diplomacy to divide and conquer, and hire one tribe to hit another for you. Troll the Mex'!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. WhiteGuts Arcane

WhiteGuts
    Parrots:
    Expeditions : Be Less Boring Thank You

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  8. xxxCatholicKillahxxx Learned

xxxCatholicKillahxxx
    Parrots:
    Expeditions: The Heart of Darkness. Set in 19th century Africa.

Expeditions: Promised Land(name pending). The struggle of the jewish people for a nation of their own. Probably set a while after the Second World War rather than the Interwar period.

Expeditions: Habsburg. Set during the reconquest of the Balkans. Yugos just don't know what is best for them. (Protip: Habsburg rule)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Ulminati Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:

Expiditions: Whiteguts anus.
    Brave the denizens of a codexians sphincther and search for the mythical source of all butthurt

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  10. WhiteGuts Arcane

WhiteGuts
    Parrots:
    Wow, I just want some fun, is that bad.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Jools Eater of Apples Patron

Jools
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I'd also REALLY love a contemporary RPG. Something like D20 modern. Yeah I know there's real life for that, but there's so many games set in our very world, and yet no RPGs.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Screw you for already knowing and not telling us. :rpgcodex:

^ Top  
  13. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Parrots:
    Me too! Something like GTA: the RPG, or an RPG where you play a private eye or FBI investigator inspired by pulp magazines like the Jerry Cotton mags that are popular here in Germany, or some Urban Arcana RPG with traditional fantasy magic in a modern setting (but more like secret wizard societies living in secret, kinda like the WoD mage setting, with a focus on urban legends and mystery, and no standard fantasy races), or maybe a spy RPG where you infiltrate another country for glorious Mother Russia or something... there are so many cool games possible in a modern world setting. Or contemporary history, basically anything from 1900 to today (WW2 RPG would also be very cool, or cold war spy RPG, etc).

WHY IS NOBODY MAKING THIS GTA THE RPG WOULD BE IMMENSELY POPULAR

^ Top  
  14. Cazzeris Formerly Andross

Cazzeris
    Parrots:
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  15. jagged-jimmy Prophet

jagged-jimmy
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    Expeditions: Alpha Centauri :smug:

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  16. Jools Eater of Apples Patron

Jools
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    How about...

TEX MURPHY: THE RPG.

I got a boner just by typing that.

PS - I'd actually prefer a magic-free modern setting.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    :takemymoney:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Parrots:
    WHY NOT BOTH

haha who am I kidding I'd be glad to have any modern setting RPG at all

only one we ever got was VtM:Bloodlines, and that was based on a popular P&P setting

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Make America Great Again TheEntitledOne Arcane

TheEntitledOne
    Parrots:
    Expeditions: Aguirre.

Go crazy in the jungle, kill half your men and rebel against the crown. Romance your own daugther for a 5$ DLC.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Parrots:
    Expeditions: RPGCodex, of course. Gather your faithful trolls and go battle the deceitful trannies of Decline. And don't forget to manage your supply of doritos and dew.

^ Top  
  21. WhiteGuts Arcane

WhiteGuts
    Parrots:
    Expeditions : Prosperland or Expeditions : GD. Go big or go home.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Bitcher1 Arbiter

Bitcher1
    Parrots:
    Expeditions: MANIFEST DESTINY
    :kwafuckyeah:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Make America Great Again Outlander Custom Tags Are For Fags. Patron

Outlander
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    And Expeditions: Wild West.

^ Top  
  24. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Meh. I like sci-fi better.

^ Top  
  25. Tzaero DEPARTED Patron

Tzaero
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Expeditions: Uranus

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)