Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

Cael

Arcane
I confess though, this is mostly info gleaned from DA:I ...
giphy.gif

On a more serious note :D

Tevinter does have a chantry and templars. Although it's more of a token organization supported by their mage council. The templars are trained to counter magic and all that good stuff and are typically only called in when a mage goes abomination. Usually low-class mages.

Not that it matters, the series frequently destroys any ambiguity about whether mages should be free or not when every other mage ends up demon possessed. It's two conflicting accounts, but you aren't hearing about them in post, you see these things happen. Are mages dangerous? Well, they seem to be exceptionally open to possession and the only place they are free doesn't sound like a great place to live. Is the Maker real? Well, we have this ancient wizard who says no and a bunch of elven gods who seem to indicate this is the case. So on and so forth.

"Ambiguity"
I was talking before the Chantry even existed. Tevinter was ruled by magelords and the like but they were not even remotely close to being taken out by demon possessed sorcerers. In a magiocracy like that, you'd expect it to be a demonic wasteland in seconds. For it to survive thousands of years makes no sense if even the strongest mage is inevitably going to be a demon portal.

The stupidity and blatant bad fanfic level crap that was DA2 and DAI is the main reason why I don't really consider them canon. Like Pagan and Ascension, they just don't exist.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

The stupidity and blatant bad fanfic level crap that was DA2 and DAI is the main reason why I don't really consider them canon.
The rotten, zombie-parasite infested corpse of Biowhore, however, does. You can be sure they'll make DA4 even more of a SJW freakfest atrocity fanfic.

Xeon

Augur
I wonder if Casey will be the one handling everything, Mass Effect he'll probably will but not sure about Dragon Age.

Not sure if him being the one in charge will do anything tho. ME3 overall I kinda enjoyed but disliked the ending having anything with the little kid and for Earth being important for aliens to give a shit about.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
What's the point of another Dragon Age? What was even the point of a Dragon Age 2? Not to talk of Dragon Age 3. In Dragon Age Origins the ultimate evil Archdragon was destroyed. The one and only thing which gave "Dragon Age" its name was finished. There was no point in any game with the name "Dragon Age" afterwards. Totally pointless.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
What's the point of another Dragon Age? What was even the point of a Dragon Age 2? Not to talk of Dragon Age 3. In Dragon Age Origins the ultimate evil Archdragon was destroyed. The one and only thing which gave "Dragon Age" its name was finished. There was no point in any game with the name "Dragon Age" afterwards. Totally pointless.
You clearly haven't played the game,stop spouting nonsense.

Theldaran

Liturgist

They just thought they had created a wonderful fantasy world so rich and full of possibilities, enabling themselves to milk it off.

Hyperion

Arcane
I wouldn't call myself Dragon Age's biggest defender, but it tells you 100 times in the first five minutes of meeting Duncan Thedas is on the verge of a 5th Blight. it's flat out telling you it's happened more than once. Granted, the sequels were total shit for reasons that have been reiterated and discussed ad nauseum on the 'dex, sticking to the loop of Blights instead of the banal shit they DID write about wouldn't have saved them from being terrible. In fact, with the Game of Thrones craze that came alive shortly after DA:O released because of the show, Bioware would have been ripped to shreds for lifting too many concepts from the book series and just changing some of the colors in the names around.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I knew once about the basic lore, but the whole thing was just so forgettable, so I forgot everything. I also knew something was off in DA2 and DA3, but because it was also so forgettable I couldn't even remember what it was, so I made that post before.

Eventually with some reasearch I found out what it was. It's what Hyperion mentioned: I would have expected them to stick to the loop of blights, and not just some bullshittery in between, like DA2 and DA3. I still see these two games as pointless. But I can see now, how a "real" successor would be possible.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I knew once about the basic lore, but the whole thing was just so forgettable, so I forgot everything. I also knew something was off in DA2 and DA3, but because it was also so forgettable I couldn't even remember what it was, so I made that post before.

Eventually with some reasearch I found out what it was. It's what Hyperion mentioned: I would have expected them to stick to the loop of blights, and not just some bullshittery in between, like DA2 and DA3. I still see these two games as pointless. But I can see now, how a "real" successor would be possible.

Dragon Age narrative arc was never really supposed to be confined to the Blights, it would have created a narrow focus that would have put an expiration date on the series regardless of market demand.

This was evident from the Journal entries in Origins: Thedas chronologers divide their history into "Ages" based on various signs. There was some kind of comet in the sky (along with the return of dragons after apparent extinction) a few years before the Fifth Blight that led them to conclude that the next Age would be an extremely turbulent and transformative one, so they called it the "Dragon Age."

It's supposed to span a 100 years of chaotic events, 5th blight was just the first of many chaotic events.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I remember going "I see what you did there" when first I learned that the antagonist of Origins was the fifth archdemon (out of seven) - like, just in case they decided to make a trilogy where all three games were about defeating Blights, with the final chapter being about defeating the last one ever.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
There's still 55 years of the Dragon Age left after Inquisition ends, bro. They're only at year 44 out of the 100 that comprises every Age.

Codex Year of the Donut
I must say that Dragon age origins have really good expansion. Maybe the best part of DA games.
The dragon age inquisition expansion where you go underground(?I don't remember the name) is one of the best things in the entire series.
Shame most people here probably never played it because the game it's attached to is trash.

ortucis

Prophet
I must say that Dragon age origins have really good expansion. Maybe the best part of DA games.

Whole DA: Origin package is still more entertaining than most top down RPG's I've played since (combat-wise, Original Sin is way better). Doesn't matter how cliched it was, they did the tropes right and tried to make it epic.

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite

Agreed, Awakening was much better than the original campaign, little to no padding and the plot points were interesting. Dunno if DAI revisited the talking Darkspawn or that Tevinter magister. Probably not 'cause Bioware.

Gameplay was all levels of broken, though.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
All i want/ed from dragon age games is to play Tevinter rogue noble,putting down chantry heretics and qunari filth! Ave Byzantium!

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The only thing I want is to become Qunari whatever and spread the Qun all over Thedas. Mages and Chantry can burn

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom